Just A Quickie...
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
Hooked
GTV-300ie Touring
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:53 pm quote
It's the end of my Summer at work, and my last "every Friday" off (we work 4x10's in the Summer), so I thought I'd take a short jaunt out of town. Had to stick around the house for a few honey-do's first. Got the chimney swept/cleaned, had the car tires rotated, hooked up the small trailer to get hay for the horse...

So, I took the GTV down to Big Pine, for no real reason other than it's out of town. I rode out to the "Big Ears," or the Owens Valley Radio Observatory. It's a large radio telescope array here in Owens Valley. Here's a link to what they're about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owens_Valley_Radio_Observatory

Since I was there, I stopped at the "Best Restaurant in America!" Yes, really. It was designated as such by Yelp in 2015. It used to be a small drive through coffee kiosk called, "Inyo Cup" (Big Pine is in Inyo County), which went out of business just a year or so after it opened. A BBQ restauranteur from Southern California bought the facility and reopened it as "Copper Top BBQ." It's a bit of a Yelp-victim these days, as it is usually quite crowded with tourists driving through Big Pine. It's good BBQ, but since it's out of my way, sort of expensive, and crowded, I rarely go there. I usually pick up a full rack of ribs from Holy Smoke BBQ in Bishop.

Here's a short video of the radio array;

If your browser hates you: YouTube Link

It was nice to get out of town, if only for an afternoon...

IMG_0776.jpeg
The GTV in front of the largest dish at OVRO.

IMG_5855.jpeg
This smaller dish is pointed South.

IMG_8832.jpeg
Wider view, showing the other radio dishes in the array

IMG_9571.jpeg
Yup, the BEST RESTAURANT IN AMERICA! Well, according to Yelp, in 2015, anyway...

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:10 am quote
Nice report! I've seen Big ears photos without scooters....so much better with!

Smart guy, doing the honey-do stuff before sneaking off....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX150, GTS300, BV350, EN650
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:41 am quote
Love those massive antennae... antennas?

Cool pics and video - thanks.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
[ Time: 0.2458s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0531s) ][ Debug on ]