variator replaced but now it's really slow pulling away
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
LX 50
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:57 am quote
Hello everyone.
I write here as I need some advice with my problem that the scooter is dangerously slow when pulling away from a start / stop or after i've slowed down to a very low speed (very sharp turn for example).
The bike is a Vespa LX 50 2009. 4V
I have just installed a new variator, rollers, belt and clutch spring. It's a MALOSSI Multivar 2000. It came with a clutch spring so I put that in too. But I didn't put in a new clutch.
Now the result is that when I pull away on flat ground it is so slow that in traffic it is extremely dangerous.
On flat ground it struggles for about 40 metres, then it kicks in and then it goes superb! I can get 75kph now, where as before I was getting 55 - 60. So it the new variator has made a massive difference.
If I start at the bottom of a hill, it takes ages to kick in depending on the ascent.I worry if it will make it up long steep climbs. But if I have speed up already, it's races uphill.
I gave the carb a good clean out before installing the variator. And also yesterday tried resetting the float in different positions, but haven't seem to improve it's pull away.
Would it be related to the clutch?
It's the original clutch and the engine has done 27,000k.
I will take out the carb and clean it again, but it runs so well once the speed is up that it doesn't seem to add up to me that it's a fuel line problem. It doesn't cut out or splutter when I slow off the acceleration.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards.
Max
Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:46 am quote
What size weights and color springs came with the variator? What are your RPM's when the scooter starts moving? What size belt are you using? If the scooter was fine before the change it's something in that mix that is causing the problem. That is eventually gets to 75kph it sounds like you just need to work on the launch. On my S50, same engine, I had to play with the belt size a bit to get it to sit down in the variator so that I got a good launch. Malossi variatiors are not as plug and play as they should be. It takes some tuning and swapping of everything to get it to run how you want. On my S50 I got a good launch out of it but the top speed settled in the low 50's MPH or 80's km/hr.

Let us know the answers to my questions and maybe we can point you in a good direction.
Vespa GTS 125 iGet
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:34 am quote
Go with lighter rollers as this is cheap and probably gonna solve your problem. It may be that you left out a little insignificant washer that sits between your variator halves. Old age but I forget the name....thats not so insignificant, it dictates where your belt will be for a given RPM in simple terms, you need to have that washer at the correct thickness to allow your engine to staying in its best power band.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:45 pm quote
We assume it came with 6.1 gram weights. If you want to check put them in a brown envelope address to yourself and take them to the post office and ask how much to post. They will weight them.

Was there a washer to go in between the variator haves? (as has been said?)
Take the transmission cover off and shine a flashlight in between the halves and see if the belt is travelling all the way to the bottom. At the rear see it the belt is travelling all the way to the top.

For the first 40m is the engine revving or struggling?
LX 50
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:59 am quote
Hi Guys.
Thanks very much for your help. We seem to have pretty much cracked it.
So... my main problem was that I had installed the black plastic restrictor washer that came with the kit.
It fitted nicely over the silver main spacer washer and in between the roller basket and the backing plate. So I presumed it went there.
After your messages, I tried to find some photos of the exact kit and came across some very informative videos about the actual kit and they explain that you shouldn't put that black plastic washer in.
So, I've removed that, put it all back together, and the slow starting problem has pretty much gone.
I say 'pretty much', as there is still, a very small delay (about a second or two) before it 'really' engages and pulls off at a decent speed.
Now i've put it back together with no washer (not even between the two variator halves) and It seems OK. I am a little concerned still though, as on one of the videos I saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7-dxH3OpUA they say it also comes with a metal black washer which should replace the one that was there. I can't seem to find either of these. And hopefully these don't apply to my particular scooter. In the video the guy says the metal washer is needed for a specific Piaggio. So having a Vespa LX 50, would it be that that washer is not needed on my scooter?
The rollers are 6.1gr. And the colour of the spring is white.. The belt is 18,5 x 8 x 727mm 30.
But now now it's running pretty well. But i'm still wondering if a washer between the two variator halves is necessary or if it is one of the various things that contribute to a better personal tuning?
Waspmike. Luckily the postal service is super quick here and the rollers were returned an a jiffy.
Thanks again for your help and advice.
Best regards.
Max
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:50 am quote
Switch to a 5.5 gram roller, or even a 5.1 and you will get a lot better acceleration.
If you are still concerned about takeoff, you can use the white malossi springs, assuming you are using the stock clutch, and the torsion controller. Also, get the malossi air filter for that engine, not the double foam one though. You may have to raise the jet from a 75 to a 77-78 once you do this, but it really wakes that engine up. It's a common size jet, so you should have no problem finding one.
Hooked
2006 LX 50
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:19 am quote
m.george wrote:
Hi Guys.
Thanks very much for your help. We seem to have pretty much cracked it.
So... my main problem was that I had installed the black plastic restrictor washer that came with the kit.
It fitted nicely over the silver main spacer washer and in between the roller basket and the backing plate. So I presumed it went there.
After your messages, I tried to find some photos of the exact kit and came across some very informative videos about the actual kit and they explain that you shouldn't put that black plastic washer in.
So, I've removed that, put it all back together, and the slow starting problem has pretty much gone.
I say 'pretty much', as there is still, a very small delay (about a second or two) before it 'really' engages and pulls off at a decent speed.
Now i've put it back together with no washer (not even between the two variator halves) and It seems OK. I am a little concerned still though, as on one of the videos I saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7-dxH3OpUA they say it also comes with a metal black washer which should replace the one that was there. I can't seem to find either of these. And hopefully these don't apply to my particular scooter. In the video the guy says the metal washer is needed for a specific Piaggio. So having a Vespa LX 50, would it be that that washer is not needed on my scooter?
The rollers are 6.1gr. And the colour of the spring is white.. The belt is 18,5 x 8 x 727mm 30.
But now now it's running pretty well. But i'm still wondering if a washer between the two variator halves is necessary or if it is one of the various things that contribute to a better personal tuning?
Waspmike. Luckily the postal service is super quick here and the rollers were returned an a jiffy.
Thanks again for your help and advice.
Best regards.
Max
I did not use any washers when installing my variator. It is not necessary.
LX 50
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:14 am quote
Thanks guys.
Really appreciate the advice.
Looking forward to experimenting out your suggestions.
Best regards.
Max
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:16 pm quote
m.george wrote:
Max,

I didn't mean for you to post them, just weight them.

I discovered Karting in your country at the circuit Goodyear, many many years ago.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1899s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0624s) ][ Debug on ]