400 wonít start
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Addicted
MP3 400 "Merlin"
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:59 am quote
So we were out riding yesterday and everything seemed fine with the bike. We stopped 3-4 times, bike restarted fine. Then on the last stop, it wouldnít start. Doesnít eve turn over. Nothing.

I turned the key off and on, and all the dash lights came on as normal. But as soon as I pressed start, all the lights went out and nothing. Not a sound. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to hit the tilt lock before trying to start it a second time, before it completely died.

Iíd just changed the oil and cleaned the air filter the day before.

Dead battery? Blown fuse?

Itís currently sitting in a parking lot 50 miles from home until my husband can get back out there to jump it. I canít do anything until Thursday when I get home from the Cleveland Clinic. (Mom having surgery)

Thanks!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:29 am quote
yup sounds like a battery needs to be replaced.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:12 am quote
Sounds like the 'hidden fuse' has blown, or there's a very poor connection on the battery. Even a pretty duff battery should re-start the bike when warmed up after a run.
Hooked
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:29 am quote
Could be the kill switch again. Just flip it on and off about 20 times. If only our lives could be fixed the same way.lol
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:57 pm quote
To me, that sounds like the classic corrosion on the battery terminals. Tighten them up and you're off. Then when you get home, clean them with a wire brush and put some dielectric grease on them and tighten them up snug.
Piaggio MP3 400ie
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:12 pm quote
Had the same issue which end up the brakes light microswitches. Check both handle to see if brakes light is up. If not, you got the answer. No need to replace them, Disassemble, clean from corrosion and deOX them.
Hooked
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:39 pm quote
Duboiz wrote:
Had the same issue which end up the brakes light microswitches. Check both handle to see if brakes light is up. If not, you got the answer. No need to replace them, Disassemble, clean from corrosion and deOX them.
that's a good shout to be honest, very easy to forget this simple test. not just on one occasion has this brake light switchs stumped even proper experienced bike mechanics.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:27 am quote
"All the lights went out"

So not the kill switch or brake light switch.

It's a fundamental loss of primary power from the battery. There's a bad connection - which includes the hidden fuse!
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1216s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0275s) ][ Debug on ]