New owner need help
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
2008 MP3 250cc
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 am quote
I don’t quite understand the use of the tilt lock .when I move the bike out of my garage and into the yard twice it has fallen over . Should I have tilt lock on before rolling it out even though it hasn’t been started ? Or start it in garage and engage tilt lock before moving it ? Please Excuse my ignorance 😢
2009 MP3 400
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:47 pm quote
The tilt lock does not engage automatically. If you want it locked you have to lock it. If it is not locked, then you need to treat it like any other two wheeler that can fall over.

With the front locked you can roll it around carefully on a smooth surface but it is still top heavy and will lose balance and topple over on rough ground.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:48 pm quote
You need to be very careful when moving an MP3 around while the tilt lock is engaged. Due to the close spacing of the front wheels, it isn't a really stable tripod. When one of the front wheels drops into a pot-hole, it will disrupt the scooter far enough it can fall down. I suspect this to be your problem.

When moving from paved to unpaved for instance, there may be a transition where the height from one to the other surface is ~2". This is enough to cause the scooter to topple.

If you are moving around on smooth, flat, paved surfaces, it's easy to leave the tilt lock engaged and move around with no problems. It's the potential for uneven surfaces that will get you. In this case I'd advise to basically ride the scooter where you want to go, and not depend on tilt lock to keep the scooter upright. If this means getting on, turning the scooter on, and using the motor to move, so be it.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:52 pm quote
I treat my tilt-lock as a gimmick- To me, the MP3 is the same as a two-wheeled bike- When I stop, I put both feet on the ground, when I park it, I use the center stand and when I maneuver backwards I straddle the bike and push with my feet, just like a two-wheeled cycle. I never plan on using the tilt-lock, but in rare occasions it's handy- like when the parking spot is sloped.

Because the wheels are so close together and the high center of gravity, it's really easy to tip over when the tilt-lock is on. Just a tiny bit of speed and a small turn and you're looking at new tupperware at least, and an injury at worst.
2009 MP3 400
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:52 am quote
Having just bought one that has been dropped a couple times, I can tell you that the plastics in the front take a beating when it falls. I spent hours rebuilding broken tabs on the wheel skirts, the knee panel and the main front cowl.
Lurker
2008 MP3 250cc
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:33 pm quote
Thanks to all who responded my error was thinking that tilt lock made it more stable when moving it around when not running VERY WRONG in my opinion the factory handbook is not real informative they should put out a MP 3 Handbook for Dummies 😂 Thanks Again .Happy Riding All !
Ossessionato
2019 MP3 SPORT 500 IE
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:38 am quote
I had a 250. The wheels were pretty close together compared to my current 500. I have always engaged the tilt lock when parking and pushing it around on flat, smooth surfaces such as parking lots, my driveway, and my garage. In these circumstances it is a great convenience.

In addition, I can engage it while waiting at a long stop light, but I always keep my feet down anyway.

It can be tricky as you have discovered. It is more than a gimmick, but a lot less than a panacea.
Hooked
Gilera Fuoco
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:20 pm quote
If I am going to use the Tilt Lock for manoeuvring, I turn on the ignition and engage the Tilt Lock before taking it off the centre stand - it makes things easier on some surfaces, but not so much on others.

I haven't yet mastered the art of engaging the Tilt Lock on the final approach to a stop, but I'm not really bothered about it. I do use it if I'm stuck in a queue though.

I don't think I would trust the Tilt Lock on it's own when parking-up though, and always use the stand.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.5212s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0703s) ][ Debug on ]