Gts 250 coolant pump question
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Hooked
2006 250ie
Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Posts: 250
Location: Bellingham, WA
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:53 pm quote
Noticed this drop on my water pump. Itís not wet under the scoot and my coolant level is fine. But is this drop indicative of a pump rebuild in my future?

0E7DC27B-A5EC-4424-8455-B5F06A047111.jpeg

Hooked
GTS 250
Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 218
Location: California
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:04 pm quote
It's actually the seal that is failing, and causing the drip. See this thread for more information: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic164063
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5291
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:12 pm quote
The short answer is there is no short answer. On a brand new scooter I'd worry less, as the seal isn't really bedded in for a while. Now, if you have a couple thousand miles on your scooter, and just see this, I'd be concerned.

My approach would be to keep an eye on it, check coolant levels on some sort of pattern or schedule, but not stay awake nights.

If you never see a wet spot on the floor, you may well be just fine.
Hooked
2006 250ie
Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Posts: 250
Location: Bellingham, WA
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:44 pm quote
AnnDee4444 wrote:
It's actually the seal that is failing, and causing the drip. See this thread for more information: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic164063
Thanks!
Madison Sully wrote:
The short answer is there is no short answer. On a brand new scooter I'd worry less, as the seal isn't really bedded in for a while. Now, if you have a couple thousand miles on your scooter, and just see this, I'd be concerned.

My approach would be to keep an eye on it, check coolant levels on some sort of pattern or schedule, but not stay awake nights.

If you never see a wet spot on the floor, you may well be just fine.
Itís a 2006 and we just rolled past 30,000. No puddle...yet. I hope to put it off until the depths of winter.
Addicted
2009 LX 150, 2008 GTS 250
Joined: 19 Jun 2011
Posts: 697
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:19 pm quote
At that mileage and age, now would be the time to decide on a repair route, dealer or DIY. If you are a DIY you could price a new cover or rebuild cost by Scooterwest.

Bill
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37422
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:56 pm quote
It may be that at the moment it only drips when the engine has been switched off for a few minutes. That's when the coolant temperature gets to be its highest in the engine, as the residual heat from the engine gets into it but there's no water pump moving.

It took a few thousand miles for mine to go from that to a more noticeable drip.
I just replaced the whole cover complete with pump and seals. Not desperately expensive. Shop around - you may find it's cheaper and quicker to get one from the EU.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 5353
Location: South Carolina
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:36 pm quote
Not much cheaper, and only quicker if they overnight it.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37422
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:13 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
Not much cheaper, and only quicker if they overnight it.
So how quickly do you get goods to WA as standard? I note it can be several days to CA...

SIP can be within two days to CA.
Hooked
2006 250ie
Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Posts: 250
Location: Bellingham, WA
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:22 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Not much cheaper, and only quicker if they overnight it.
So how quickly do you get goods to WA as standard? I note it can be several days to CA...

SIP can be within two days to CA.
My recent experience was 2 days. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37422
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:15 pm quote
phaskins wrote:
jimc wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Not much cheaper, and only quicker if they overnight it.
So how quickly do you get goods to WA as standard? I note it can be several days to CA...

SIP can be within two days to CA.
My recent experience was 2 days. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.
That's good enough. Just curious, as I've had orders taking over a week in the past. Not that I've minded - usually I've just been grateful someone's got the parts in stock!
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3528s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0422s) ][ Debug on ]