2020 Vespa 300 GTS Super - brake question
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Vespa GTS Super HPE
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:45 am quote
Any more news on HPEs with spongy front brake?

Mine works but feels wooden, and not crisp or strong like a front brake should. Ill address it at the first service.
Hooked
GTS 300
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:58 pm quote
I took mine to my sort of local dealer, left it not knowing when I'd see it again.
They called me later in the day and said they had bled the front brakes and it was good to go.

I said it would be a couple days until I could get back to pick it up.
The next morning my neighbor say's he will take me over to get the machine.

We get there and the service manager say's it's not ready, when they left last night and pushed it inside the front brake felt ok. When they came in the next morning the brake was as spongy as ever .
They didn't call me because they were going to go deeper in to it and I was not expected that day.
So a wasted 90 mile round trip.

They call me late that day and say it's fixed, and they were going near my house to pick up a machine so they would drop it off.
07:45 am the next morning they are in my driveway with the repaired machine.
He said they bled it twice more with a pressure bleeder, then went on a test ride over a bumpy patch of road , hit the brakes hard enough to activate the ABS system.

I finally got out for a ride this afternoon, the front brakes work just like I felt they should. I am pleased and now plan to send a letter to Piaggio and copy the dealer talking about how they went the extra mile to make sure it was right and delivered the machine to me .

Dealers get a lot of flack on forums for the bad things come of them do. Rarely does anyone give them and ATTABOY'S when the y do the right thing.
Enthusiast
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:49 am quote
Not the first Piaggio brake problem, I remember the X10 and Beverly needed the master cylinders replaced at ridiculously short intervals.
Eventually remedied by change of master cylinder design.
2020 300 GTS Super
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:55 am quote
Motovista wrote:
Can you slowly pull the brake lever all the way back to the grip? If you pull it hard, then let off and pull it hard again, does it go back closer to the grip?
To update the situation after trying strapping the lever which worked temporarily, it has become very spongy to the point that it is not safe to drive. It does seem to get closer to the grip after pulling it hard a couple of times.

I am going to take it to the shop next week.
Ossessionato
'15 Blue GTS300 Super, '18 White GTS300 Super
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:13 pm quote
This mushy front brake on the HPE is widely reported and commented on in the German and Austrian Vespa forums too. Piaggio know of the problem, but haven't come up with a solution yet. So if you also have this problem just keep nagging your supplier to keep nagging Piaggio.
Enthusiast
2020 Vespa GTS HPE Touring
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:23 pm quote
I just picked up my 2020 GTS Touring today. Put about 100 miles on her. Brakes felt fine. Is this issue something I should be on the lookout for? Is it all GTS 300's or only some?

Thanks,

Rick G
2020 Vespa GTS 300
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:03 pm quote
My dealer bled the brake during first service under warranty this past weekend and that seems to have corrected the soft feel of front brake I had. Now both brakes feel similar in travel and feel.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:27 am quote
Earlier in this thread I posted that my 2020 brakes were just fine. Well....things change. My front brake lever now pulls all the way to the grip. Pulling it that far engages at least some brake, but I don't know how much. My Vespa goes into the dealer next week.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:42 pm quote
Update....I dropped off my 2020 GTS at the dealer yesterday. The service tech said that Piaggio would be sending out a service video soon explaining some precise procedure to handle the ABS fix/bleeding procedure. I don't know what that means, but I'm hopeful a fix is on the way. There are three GTS's in line before mine at the dealer.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:30 am quote
It means there is a procedure to follow when bleeding that particular abs system to make sure all the air is removed from the system. Normally you bleed all abs systems the same as any other system. So this means Piaggio has probably identified a small issue at the factory that has allowed some air to not be purged from the abs system. Normally this will be air in the abs unit itself. It can be difficult to remove if the system is not filled correctly from new. It's done under pressure at the factory and it may mean something has gone wrong on the production line allowing the systems to escape from the factory not bled properly. Getting any remaining air out can be difficult. So there are instructions coming out to all dealers. It will most likely mean emptying the system and starting affresh with new fluid and a pressure fill and bleed.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:58 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
It means there is a procedure to follow when bleeding that particular abs system to make sure all the air is removed from the system. Normally you bleed all abs systems the same as any other system. So this means Piaggio has probably identified a small issue at the factory that has allowed some air to not be purged from the abs system. Normally this will be air in the abs unit itself. It can be difficult to remove if the system is not filled correctly from new. It's done under pressure at the factory and it may mean something has gone wrong on the production line allowing the systems to escape from the factory not bled properly. Getting any remaining air out can be difficult. So there are instructions coming out to all dealers. It will most likely mean emptying the system and starting affresh with new fluid and a pressure fill and bleed.
Interesting! Thanks.
Hooked
GTS 300
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:48 pm quote
My mushy front brake issue was fixed by the dealer , but it took him more than one pressure bleed to get it right.

It's been a few weeks since then , it's better but not as firm as I would like .

I may take it back for additional attention .
2020 300 GTS Super
Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:20 pm quote
Update on Squishy brakes
2020 Vespa 300 GTS - just took it in to a local shop for a brake bleed and all was good until it sat a couple of days and now it back to squishy again! Arrrggghhh! Not safe to drive!!! I live 140 miles from the dealer and this is a real pain in the ass! I guess I will wait to see if they have a fix at the dealer. Per this forum, this seems to be a known issue. Any dealer who tells you that the system is designed to have bias toward the rear is full of crap!!!

Before this, I strapped the lever a couple of times and it worked ok for a day or two.
2020 300 GTS Super
Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:24 pm quote
WiscScoot wrote:
Earlier in this thread I posted that my 2020 brakes were just fine. Well....things change. My front brake lever now pulls all the way to the grip. Pulling it that far engages at least some brake, but I don't know how much. My Vespa goes into the dealer next week.
Please let us know what you find out!
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:46 pm quote
rahler wrote:
WiscScoot wrote:
Please let us know what you find out!
A quick update...sort of. The service tech called today and said Piaggio has come up with a fix. There's a multi-page description of the procedure and a kit that adds bleeders near the master cyllinders. Sounds encouraging. He's hoping to have the kit in a few days. I'll post again with an update.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:40 am quote
Another update...

Just heard from the service guy at the dealership. He said that the kit from Piaggio to fix the brake issue won't be available (here in the US) until January. Disappointing!
Enthusiast
Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:28 pm quote
WiscScoot wrote:
Another update...

Just heard from the service guy at the dealership. He said that the kit from Piaggio to fix the brake issue won't be available (here in the US) until January. Disappointing!
Wow, that is extremely disappointing. So, your scoot sits dormant for months waiting for a fix? That's depressing!
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:39 pm quote
Scarabeo500ie wrote:
WiscScoot wrote:
Another update...

Wow, that is extremely disappointing. So, your scoot sits dormant for months waiting for a fix? That's depressing!
To be honest, my Vespa would sit dormant anyway due to Wisconsin weather. Still, it'd be nice to have the brake issue resolved a bit quicker.
Hooked
GTS 300
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:16 pm quote
If I had known about this issue at the time I was looking to buy, I would have passed .

I'm old enough to remember the BS that several of my BMW riding friends went through when ABS was introduced on their models.

I was, and still am a BMW Airhead devotee .

Had one model referred to as "An Oilhead" that gave me nothing but grief , went back to Airhead's after that.

I like this Vespa , but am not convinced I will be keeping it long at this rate from Piaggio's response over this issue.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.1469s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0311s) ][ Debug on ]