Help, MP3 500 electrical issue
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
mp3 500 2008
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:30 pm quote
I'm new here but need help ASAP with my 2008 MP3 500.

I was changing my standard turn signals to LED's and ran into a problem. I had to poke around a bit to find how to get to the wires for the rear signals, but don't think I touched any thing not related to the signal wires. After changing the front left signal I checked the light by turning bike on and flicking the turn signal level a few times. When I tried starting the bike I got a fast clicking noise and then a beep.
Any ideas on what I screwed up?
-Rob
Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/embed/wnhIjpN9Le8
(I was working under a red shade umbrella)
update: the battery is a little low (11.4 but I don't think that is the problem.
Lurker
mp3 500 2008
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:49 am quote
Update. hooked up the battery to a trickle charger overnight and that fixed the issue. Seems the MP3 starter relay acts up with a low charge.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:58 pm quote
rjmccabe wrote:
Update. hooked up the battery to a trickle charger overnight and that fixed the issue. Seems the MP3 starter relay acts up with a low charge.
All starter relays act up with a discharged battery. And 11.4V is deeply discharged...

This is what happens. The battery can deliver enough current to energise the starter relay. However the inrush current of the starter motor drops the battery volts to below the starter relay hold-in volts (usually around 9V) so the relay drops out. A fraction of a second later, the battery volts recover enough to pull in the relay again, but the starter motor inrush current... Yep, rinse and repeat. Congrats, you've invented the buzzer!
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2332s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0475s) ][ Debug on ]