Flush cooling sys thru bleeder?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Member
2007 mp3 250ie
Joined: 18 Aug 2015
Posts: 22
Location: Logan Lake, BC
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:13 pm quote
Saw a short youtube vid about a fellow attempting to flush/drain his cooling system via the tube on the bleeder valve instead of pulling off the hose to the pump. (It didn't flow and he never followed up). Has anyone ever tried this, heard of it, seen it? My thought is that you would have to continuously add coolant through the top, (since I'm not sure it would simply drain too well through the valve) as the engine would likely have to be running (wouldn't want to run it with extremely low coolant).

My reason for considering it would be mainly to start the process, save having to have the entire contents of the system come out that hose when disconnected. I have animals, my neighbours have animals, lots of wildlife here in the mountains. Since I would be working outside I'd rather minimize the amount of ethylene glycol that could spill and cause any kidney problems if ingested.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7225
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:49 am quote
Then just use a big drain pan and you should not lose one drop. If any does get on the ground just dilute it well with a hose and wash it away.

Using the bleed valve will not do the job.
Member
2007 mp3 250ie
Joined: 18 Aug 2015
Posts: 22
Location: Logan Lake, BC
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 am quote
Thanks WEB-tech. I didn't think so. Didn't make sense to me, but I'm no mechanic. So thought I would run it by the forum. I do have a very large pan, a milk jug I can cut out to place directly under the pump (might be able to catch and direct the coolant instead of having it all over the hoses & exhaust, etc), and a couple of packs of 'puppy training' pads that I will use on the ground. Those are really absorbent and should keep things clean.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7225
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:12 am quote
Quaydvt wrote:
Thanks WEB-tech. I didn't think so. Didn't make sense to me, but I'm no mechanic. So thought I would run it by the forum. I do have a very large pan, a milk jug I can cut out to place directly under the pump (might be able to catch and direct the coolant instead of having it all over the hoses & exhaust, etc), and a couple of packs of 'puppy training' pads that I will use on the ground. Those are really absorbent and should keep things clean.
I was thinking something bigger around so it catches everything, like this https://tinyurl.com/y69vql8w
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Posts: 4206
Location: Marietta, GA
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:19 am quote
Re: Flush cooling sys thru bleeder?
Quaydvt wrote:
Saw a short youtube vid about a fellow attempting to flush/drain his cooling system via the tube on the bleeder valve instead of pulling off the hose to the pump. (It didn't flow and he never followed up). Has anyone ever tried this, heard of it, seen it? My thought is that you would have to continuously add coolant through the top, (since I'm not sure it would simply drain too well through the valve) as the engine would likely have to be running (wouldn't want to run it with extremely low coolant).

My reason for considering it would be mainly to start the process, save having to have the entire contents of the system come out that hose when disconnected. I have animals, my neighbours have animals, lots of wildlife here in the mountains. Since I would be working outside I'd rather minimize the amount of ethylene glycol that could spill and cause any kidney problems if ingested.
Since you have a MP3/250...
Search on Youtube for GTS 300 Video's for Coolant Flush.
Its very similar. It's very easy to do by pulling the hose off the pump.
Just be sure and put the same color coolant back in.
If its Pink do Pink...

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2059
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere down South, in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:16 am quote
But remember colour is not the critical factor. Many types of coolant out their and all different colours: types such as OAT, HOAT, IOAT, NOAT etc etc to name but just a tiny few and all in a range of colours. The wrong type of coolant can still be red just as the right type of coolant can be red. It's the type of coolant, it's chemical make up that is important, not the colour. Check your owners manual to see what you need. Put the wrong type in and it will damage your engine maybe critically! Hope you see this in time.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7225
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:12 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
But remember colour is not the critical factor. Many types of coolant out their and all different colours: types such as OAT, HOAT, IOAT, NOAT etc etc to name but just a tiny few and all in a range of colours. The wrong type of coolant can still be red just as the right type of coolant can be red. It's the type of coolant, it's chemical make up that is important, not the colour. Check your owners manual to see what you need. Put the wrong type in and it will damage your engine maybe critically! Hope you see this in time.
This is what Piaggio recommends, I buy it by the case from ENI north America.
https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=7331

I can't find in on the ENI NA website though.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.7122s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0653s) ][ Debug on ]