OP
@quaydvt avatar
UTC

2007 mp3 250ie

@quaydvt avatar
2007 mp3 250ie
UTC quote
Saw a short youtube vid about a fellow attempting to flush/drain his cooling system via the tube on the bleeder valve instead of pulling off the hose to the pump. (It didn't flow and he never followed up). Has anyone ever tried this, heard of it, seen it? My thought is that you would have to continuously add coolant through the top, (since I'm not sure it would simply drain too well through the valve) as the engine would likely have to be running (wouldn't want to run it with extremely low coolant).

My reason for considering it would be mainly to start the process, save having to have the entire contents of the system come out that hose when disconnected. I have animals, my neighbours have animals, lots of wildlife here in the mountains. Since I would be working outside I'd rather minimize the amount of ethylene glycol that could spill and cause any kidney problems if ingested.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Then just use a big drain pan and you should not lose one drop. If any does get on the ground just dilute it well with a hose and wash it away.

Using the bleed valve will not do the job.
OP
@quaydvt avatar
UTC

2007 mp3 250ie

@quaydvt avatar
2007 mp3 250ie
UTC quote
Thanks WEB-tech. I didn't think so. Didn't make sense to me, but I'm no mechanic. So thought I would run it by the forum. I do have a very large pan, a milk jug I can cut out to place directly under the pump (might be able to catch and direct the coolant instead of having it all over the hoses & exhaust, etc), and a couple of packs of 'puppy training' pads that I will use on the ground. Those are really absorbent and should keep things clean.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Quaydvt wrote:
Thanks WEB-tech. I didn't think so. Didn't make sense to me, but I'm no mechanic. So thought I would run it by the forum. I do have a very large pan, a milk jug I can cut out to place directly under the pump (might be able to catch and direct the coolant instead of having it all over the hoses & exhaust, etc), and a couple of packs of 'puppy training' pads that I will use on the ground. Those are really absorbent and should keep things clean.
I was thinking something bigger around so it catches everything, like this https://tinyurl.com/y69vql8w
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
Re: Flush cooling sys thru bleeder?
Quaydvt wrote:
Saw a short youtube vid about a fellow attempting to flush/drain his cooling system via the tube on the bleeder valve instead of pulling off the hose to the pump. (It didn't flow and he never followed up). Has anyone ever tried this, heard of it, seen it? My thought is that you would have to continuously add coolant through the top, (since I'm not sure it would simply drain too well through the valve) as the engine would likely have to be running (wouldn't want to run it with extremely low coolant).

My reason for considering it would be mainly to start the process, save having to have the entire contents of the system come out that hose when disconnected. I have animals, my neighbours have animals, lots of wildlife here in the mountains. Since I would be working outside I'd rather minimize the amount of ethylene glycol that could spill and cause any kidney problems if ingested.
Since you have a MP3/250...
Search on Youtube for GTS 300 Video's for Coolant Flush.
Its very similar. It's very easy to do by pulling the hose off the pump.
Just be sure and put the same color coolant back in.
If its Pink do Pink...

Keith,
Marietta, GA
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
But remember colour is not the critical factor. Many types of coolant out their and all different colours: types such as OAT, HOAT, IOAT, NOAT etc etc to name but just a tiny few and all in a range of colours. The wrong type of coolant can still be red just as the right type of coolant can be red. It's the type of coolant, it's chemical make up that is important, not the colour. Check your owners manual to see what you need. Put the wrong type in and it will damage your engine maybe critically! Hope you see this in time.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
But remember colour is not the critical factor. Many types of coolant out their and all different colours: types such as OAT, HOAT, IOAT, NOAT etc etc to name but just a tiny few and all in a range of colours. The wrong type of coolant can still be red just as the right type of coolant can be red. It's the type of coolant, it's chemical make up that is important, not the colour. Check your owners manual to see what you need. Put the wrong type in and it will damage your engine maybe critically! Hope you see this in time.
This is what Piaggio recommends, I buy it by the case from ENI north America.
https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=7331

I can't find in on the ENI NA website though.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0591s ][ Queries: 10 (0.0290s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]