Cut the darn valve cover gasket on my Liberty!
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:05 am quote
While wrestling the valve cover on during my last valve check...sure enough the gasket slipped out of the groove and was cut when I bolted it down.
I watched for leaks, and after the second long ride I found oil drips under the scoot. I knew to look because that thread of a thing falls out so easily when holding the cover on its side to refit it.
2 years ago I ordered 2 spare valve cover gaskets - today I found that what I'd actually had in my spares drawer were gaskets for the shroud!

So, will be riding the Kymco for a week or so.

How to prevent this ? Years ago I had trouble with a belt cover gasket repeatedly falling off during the reinstallation. Finally applied a thin coat of auto weather-strip adhesive from a tube. Just enough to hold gasket in place.

I will take a toothpick and add small areas of this adhesive into the Liberty's tiny valve cover tracks. I don't mind the cost - but the procedure is not a favorite!
Refitting the cover, past the hoses and with that breather tube attached, while keeping the gasket in place - is the hardest part of the job for me.
O.S.
Enthusiast
2008 GTS 250
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:06 pm quote
Hylomar racing blue. Works great sealing things up and keeping gaskets from moving
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1298s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0395s) ][ Debug on ]