MP3 250 handbrake light/steering lock
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
MP3 250
Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:35 pm quote
Hello All,

I've just bought a 2007 MP3 250. Have been checking it out this evening and it looks to have a couple of minor problems which I wonder if anyone could give me any advice on!

1 - I've just adjusted the handbrake - it wasn't holding the bike still, so I unscrewed the top nut where the cable joins the caliper and that seems to have solved that problem. But the dashboard light that's supposed to tell me when the handbrake's on, doesn't. Faulty bulb, or faulty switch? Anyone know where the switch is?

2 - According to the manual, in order to lock the steering (i.e. for security) I need to turn the ignition key to the "lock" position. Sounds easy enough but I can't seem to do it. I presume that I need to turn the key from "off" to "lock" the opposite way to turning it from "off" to "on". But despite turning the bars all the way to the left, like the manual says, I can't get the key to turn that far - in fact I can't really get it to move from "off" at all! I've tried wiggling the bars and putting the handbrake on/off but doesn't make a difference. Is there a knack to it (do I have to push the key in, pull it out, or something?) or is something not right?

They are only minor problems and I can still ride the bike but I'd like to get it all sorted. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Peter
Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:16 pm quote
Push the key in to turn to the lock position while the bars are full left.
MP3 250
Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:18 pm quote
raybjur wrote:
Push the key in to turn to the lock position while the bars are full left.
I think that's what I tried. Maybe I didn't push the key in hard enough?! I'm reluctant to use much force...

Thanks

Peter
Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:10 pm quote
Pushing cylinder in and turning left should do it. Try wiggling the key a little as you push in and turn.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:35 pm quote
Make sure steering is turned full left to lock the brake and steering.
MP3 250
Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:01 pm quote
Fuzzy wrote:
Make sure steering is turned full left to lock the brake and steering.
Yeah I tried that. Still can't crack it though. I'll give it a few more weeks to see if I suddenly "get" the knack, otherwise I guess I'll open it up to have a look inside.

I also tried wiggling the key and pushing it in - but all that happens is that the "boot" ("trunk" to those in the US, I guess) opens! What am I doing wrong?

Can anyone help with my parking brake light not working?

When I turn on the ignition, should all the dash lights come on for a short time? Quite a few of mine don't, so is it possible that a few bulbs have gone? How easy/hard are these bulbs to replace? I've got the user manual and workshop manual but they don't seem to cover replacing dashboard bulbs.

Help!

Thanks

Peter
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:36 pm quote
1. That's the way to adjust for brake-cable stretch - not brake pad wear. To do the latter, with the brake off, undo the locknut (12mm?) on the caliper adjuster and spin the adjuster in until the back whell just binds. Undo a 1/4 turn and nip up the lock-nut. The tale-tale switch is up front as part of the brake-handle assembly.

2. You shouldn't hace to push the key in to turn to the lock position. I find with my bikes some have to be almost but not quite fully left, so try backing off from that and trying again. It should take no force to lock. If it really doesn't want to lock you'll have to do some stripping down to get to the mechanism to see what's up.
MP3 250
Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:13 am quote
jimc wrote:
1. That's the way to adjust for brake-cable stretch - not brake pad wear. To do the latter, with the brake off, undo the locknut (12mm?) on the caliper adjuster and spin the adjuster in until the back whell just binds. Undo a 1/4 turn and nip up the lock-nut. The tale-tale switch is up front as part of the brake-handle assembly.
Thanks very much for the tip. I must get the switch/light sorted before I replace the brake pads - this morning I rode into work with the parking brake on. When I got to work it was a little smelly and the brake no longer works! TBH I suspects it's happened before on this bike as when I received the bike the parking brake didn't work at all. I've got some new ("Kyoto" - the only make I could find) pads on order.

Are you able to shed any light on my question of whether all the dash lights should illuminate for a short period when I turn the ignition on? And if so, how does one replace the bulbs that don't?
jimc wrote:
2. You shouldn't hace to push the key in to turn to the lock position. I find with my bikes some have to be almost but not quite fully left, so try backing off from that and trying again. It should take no force to lock. If it really doesn't want to lock you'll have to do some stripping down to get to the mechanism to see what's up.
Sounds like some stripping is in order. Hopefully I can have a look at the parking brake switch at the same time.

Thanks again,

Peter
Hooked
Two - 2009 Genuine Buddy 125s
Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:40 am quote
Do you not live anywhere near a dealer that could check these things out for you? It sounds like you are very handy, and not afraid of diving in to fix stuff, but there are electronics on the MP3s that are different from most. It might not hurt to have them give it the once over for you, then you can take over the maintenance from there...?
MP3 250
Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:23 am quote
michelle_7728 wrote:
Do you not live anywhere near a dealer that could check these things out for you? It sounds like you are very handy, and not afraid of diving in to fix stuff, but there are electronics on the MP3s that are different from most. It might not hurt to have them give it the once over for you, then you can take over the maintenance from there...?
Thanks for the idea. I do live not too far from a dealer but at the moment I have more spare time than spare money! In any case, the problems are so minor that I would rather just live with them than pay someone else to take a look.

I notice you had/have an MP3 though; can you remember if all the dash lights flashed up for a second or two when you turned on the ignition?

Thanks

Peter
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:34 am quote
Yeah they do on mine.
Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:18 am quote
All the dash lights do come on for a second or so at key on as a test for dead lights. I don't know how accessible the lights are to replace.
MP3 250
Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:20 pm quote
jimc wrote:
That's the way to adjust for brake-cable stretch - not brake pad wear. To do the latter, with the brake off, undo the locknut (12mm?) on the caliper adjuster and spin the adjuster in until the back whell just binds. Undo a 1/4 turn and nip up the lock-nut. The tale-tale switch is up front as part of the brake-handle assembly.
I've had a go at this and think I've cracked it. The parking brake seems a lot more effective now. I assume that when you say "binds" you mean when the pads begin to rub on the disc rather than when the wheel locks in place completely? Another stupid question; how will I know when the pads are completely worn, is that when there's no space left on the adjuster?
raybjur wrote:
All the dash lights do come on for a second or so at key on as a test for dead lights. I don't know how accessible the lights are to replace.
Right, now I'm really confused!

When I turn my key "on", the only lights that come on "momentarily" are the "Low fuel warning" and "Engine control" lights. They go off after about a second.

The other lights all come on when I would expect them to --- apart from the parking brake warning light of course, which never works. But none of the other lights flash on and off when I turn the ignition on. Should I worry that they don't all flash on and off like raybjur said they do on his?

So...either the parking brake warning bulb is gone or there's something wrong with the switch. I'm inclined to the latter as the steering lock also doesn't operate, which I think involves the parking brake. So perhaps something is wrong with the parking brake lever mechanism that means that a) the switch doesn't operate and b) the steering lock can't be activated. Anyone have any thoughts on this theory?

And I still have no idea how to change the the dashboard light bulbs or even whether it's possible to. I can't find anything on the subject in the workshop manual or user's manual. Maybe they're LED bulbs that never fail, so if they do you just replace the entire dashboard?

Thanks again for all your help.
Moderaptor
Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:40 pm quote
Steering lock is nothing whatsoever to do with the parking brake, so you have two separate problems.

You know when the pads are worn when there is no meat left on them! And running the bike even just for a few yards with the parking brake on will wear those pads, which come with very little friction material in the first place.
MP3 250
Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:47 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Steering lock is nothing whatsoever to do with the parking brake, so you have two separate problems.
In my user manual it says that when the steering lock is on, the parking brake cannot be moved from off to on or vice versa? I quote: "LOCK = Ignition disabled, extractable key, mechanical antitheft device enabled. The parking brake cannot be released when pressed and cannot be pressed when released." Or am I misunderstanding?
jimc wrote:
You know when the pads are worn when there is no meat left on them! And running the bike even just for a few yards with the parking brake on will wear those pads, which come with very little friction material in the first place.
I have ordered some replacement pads, as I rode it 10 miles this morning with the parking brake "on"...but I don't think it was "properly" on, as having adjusted it as per your instructions it is a lot more effective than before. In fact I think I'd probably notice quite quickly if I tried to ride it with the parking brake on now.

Any ideas on the "dash lights not flashing when ignition turned on" issue? That's really bugging me!

Thanks for help.
Moderaptor
Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:52 pm quote
pcwilkins wrote:
jimc wrote:
In my user manual it says that when the steering lock is on, the parking brake cannot be moved from off to on or vice versa? I quote: "LOCK = Ignition disabled, extractable key, mechanical antitheft device enabled. The parking brake cannot be released when pressed and cannot be pressed when released." Or am I misunderstanding?
No, I had forgotten that! So there is a connection - disassembly would seem the way forward.
Quote:
jimc wrote:
I have ordered some replacement pads, as I rode it 10 miles this morning with the parking brake "on"...but I don't think it was "properly" on, as having adjusted it as per your instructions it is a lot more effective than before. In fact I think I'd probably notice quite quickly if I tried to ride it with the parking brake on now.

Any ideas on the "dash lights not flashing when ignition turned on" issue? That's really bugging me!

Thanks for help.
No idea on that one.

Hmm... maybe I should get over some jet-lag before replying further!
Addicted
'10 Aprilia Mana GT
Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:21 pm quote
I was wrong about which lights flash at Engine On.
3 lights (oil, gas, engine) come on for about 2 seconds.
Red tiltlock comes on for about 1 second
Yellow tiltlock comes on and stays lit (because tilitlock is engaged)
All other bulbs stay off.

I must have been suffering from snow-lag in my previous post. Sorry for the misinformation.
MP3 250
Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:51 pm quote
Re: I was wrong about which lights flash at Engine On.
raybjur wrote:
I must have been suffering from snow-lag in my previous post. Sorry for the misinformation.
Aha, that's good news. Thanks for the update. So no reason to assume that parking brake bulb is gone.

Sounds like it's time to get the screwdriver out...
Hooked
Two - 2009 Genuine Buddy 125s
Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:05 pm quote
pcwilkins wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:
Thanks for the idea. I do live not too far from a dealer but at the moment I have more spare time than spare money! In any case, the problems are so minor that I would rather just live with them than pay someone else to take a look.

I notice you had/have an MP3 though; can you remember if all the dash lights flashed up for a second or two when you turned on the ignition?

Thanks

Peter
Sorry! I'm not on the computer very regularly, and just saw your email. It's been too cold (icy) to ride lately, and I'm not at home right now, or I'd check to see which lights come on briefly for you. However, I see that other kind souls have already replied back with the info for you.
MP3 250
Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:41 am quote
michelle_7728 wrote:
Sorry! I'm not on the computer very regularly, and just saw your email. It's been too cold (icy) to ride lately, and I'm not at home right now, or I'd check to see which lights come on briefly for you. However, I see that other kind souls have already replied back with the info for you.
Thanks anyway! Just need to find time to take it apart and have a look insde now.

Peter
2007 Piaggio MP3 250
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:05 pm quote
Thanks everyone. I saw that Scooter WEst is selling this https://www.scooterwest.com/13-yourban-wheel-with-hub-cap-and-mounting-hardware-each.html - might be what I'm looking for. I'm going to reach out to them as now's the time to look into it (I want to replace my rear tire anyway).
Moderaptor
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:31 am quote
^^^^
I think you posted in the wrong thread!

Locking.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1379s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0409s) ][ Debug on ]