150 super rebuild question
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:15 pm quote
First off Ive prob done over 20 rebuilds on super and other motors ..so not my first rodeo

Im helping another dude and got/taught him how to remove the seals and bearings...which he did while I was not actually looking

2 weeks later and we are reassembling and there on the bench is brass ring...about 2mm thick and the same size as the bearings and seals

logic says it must go between clutch seal and bearing?????

wtf?

Addicted
Honda elite
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:37 pm quote
does it go under the axle bearing flywheel side?
Addicted
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:48 pm quote
no .its way bigger in diameter..almost the same diameter as the bearings and seals...slightly smaller actually as I can drop said ring into the area where the bearings sit .....and it MAY go..still not sure if it even belongs there

clues are that is brass... same colur as the brass in the cases where the bearing touches.

some one has said it goes under the clutch side bearing sandwiched between the Bearing and the clutch seal

i am in NZ and there is an urban myth that air conditioning units use the same bearings as vespa ..but are wee bit thinner by 2mm needing shim..but the bearing i pulled out is standard

aside..... there is true story of a dude being stranded and could only find air conditioning unit bearings for sale Which are 2mm thinner but otherwise identical...coke can shilm and he was away

Sooo back to brass ring we found..where the feck does it go.?
Hooked
Vespa
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:53 pm quote
a picture of the ring?
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 am quote
I think Speedys originals had something on the sides (like you described) that covered the balls... so you may be on to something there
Addicted
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:39 pm quote
hmm Has any one sighted one
thanks SEB..thats two opinions now that said brass ring goes tween clutch seal and bearing.
Strange...... I can recall over 20 separate vbc engines ive been inside and this ring is the first.

I will have to install it to see if the bearing sits flush in the case with it in place

I suppose its function is so the bearing seats on this brass ring rather than on the seal...and in following years the factory decided to leave it out to save $$$$$

can anyone confirm for sure that they have seen a brass ring 1 to 2 mm thick , same size as the bearing inside a VBC engine (super)
Ossessionato
1976 Super (x 2), 1974 Primavera (x 2), 2006 Fly 150
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:00 pm quote
Never seen it.
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:13 am quote
Re: hmm Has any one sighted one
Bluecati wrote:
thanks SEB..thats two opinions now that said brass ring goes tween clutch seal and bearing.
Strange...... I can recall over 20 separate vbc engines ive been inside and this ring is the first.

I will have to install it to see if the bearing sits flush in the case with it in place

I suppose its function is so the bearing seats on this brass ring rather than on the seal...and in following years the factory decided to leave it out to save $$$$$

can anyone confirm for sure that they have seen a brass ring 1 to 2 mm thick , same size as the bearing inside a VBC engine (super)
Have you got a photo? I'll see if I've got a matching part, as I've still got every bit of Speedy, & when i got it, the engine was original, never been touched, I don't think they even put oil in it!
Engine number? Speedy has 831XX & Speedys twin is 832XX (from memory).

BTW; Speedys Twin will be restored to original (N.Z. Airco version) using those parts
Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:41 am quote
My VBC motor (1976) didn't have anything between the bearing and seal and it was the first time since factory that the engine had been apart (to the best of my knowledge). Having said that, I replaced the factory setup with DRT adapters and seals and this did have a few shims to get the spacing correct. Maybe if case tolerances were out, the factory used a shim to correct it?
Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '64 V90
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:49 am quote
Is it possible that this washer did not come from that motor ?
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:10 am quote
Just guessing until pictures shows up. Where's the pic?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:26 pm quote
rowdyc wrote:
Just guessing until pictures shows up. Where's the pic?
For your convenience.

brass ring found before asembly WTF?
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2400s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0429s) ][ Debug on ]