FIXED - LX50 4T low power
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
2008 LX 50 4T 2 valve
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:03 pm quote
I hope that this helps someone else. I have seen a lot of posts on LX50 losing power, stalling, not idling.

I finally got my diaphragm to seat properly and tested the function of the slide and it runs much better. This was after multiple carb cleanings, full tune-up, valve adjustment and a new CDI/coil. I was still pulling my hair out, the CDI helped but the trick was how I installed and tested the slide.

I found a video and followed it and it really helped. Iíll try to post the link from YouTube

-Remove the carb
-Drain the bowl and clean the jets with carb cleaner remove and spray the crap out of the idle jet, the long one.
-Remove, Wash and inspect the diaphragm,I used dish soap.
-Put the needle and plastic seat in taking care not to cover the air hole with one of the feet, if you look closely there are 3 spots for the feet. The air hole must be unrestricted.
-pop the assembly up so that it is crowned instead of down, really lock in the seal so that it does not move this will take some work but it will stay in place all around once it locks in and it locks better when it is popped up.
-install the cap and spring.
-blow around the slot on top of the carb intake with compressed air, not too much directly, you will see the slide moving it should go all the way up easily, you can watch it move with the air. If it does not move smoothly and go all the way up start over
Enthusiast
LX 50
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:03 am quote
I have to let mine warm up. Otherwise it stalls out when I give it gas.
Was thinking it was the accelerator pump.

In my case it might help to start it more than once a week.

Thanks for the tidbit.
Enthusiast
2007 LX50
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 am quote
Re: FIXED - LX50 4T low power
Lazm01 wrote:
I hope that this helps someone else. I have seen a lot of posts on LX50 losing power, stalling, not idling.

I finally got my diaphragm to seat properly and tested the function of the slide and it runs much better. This was after multiple carb cleanings, full tune-up, valve adjustment and a new CDI/coil. I was still pulling my hair out, the CDI helped but the trick was how I installed and tested the slide.

I found a video and followed it and it really helped. Iíll try to post the link from YouTube

-Remove the carb
-Drain the bowl and clean the jets with carb cleaner remove and spray the crap out of the idle jet, the long one.
-Remove, Wash and inspect the diaphragm,I used dish soap.
-Put the needle and plastic seat in taking care not to cover the air hole with one of the feet, if you look closely there are 3 spots for the feet. The air hole must be unrestricted.
-pop the assembly up so that it is crowned instead of down, really lock in the seal so that it does not move this will take some work but it will stay in place all around once it locks in and it locks better when it is popped up.
-install the cap and spring.
-blow around the slot on top of the carb intake with compressed air, not too much directly, you will see the slide moving it should go all the way up easily, you can watch it move with the air. If it does not move smoothly and go all the way up start over
LOL I clicked on this fully expecting to read the fix was "buy a 150"
2008 LX 50 4T 2 valve
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:15 pm quote
hitbyastick wrote:
I was almost there but was determined to get the 50 going. I want to be able to park on the sidewalk. LOL

Enthusiast
2007 LX50
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:40 pm quote
Lazm01 wrote:
hitbyastick wrote:
I was almost there but was determined to get the 50 going. I want to be able to park on the sidewalk. LOL

I hear that! The real reason I looked for a 50. Now I observe people parking their 300GTSs on the sidewalk with no consequence. Oh well, still love this little red 50.
Hooked
GTV250, PX150 & LX50
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:06 pm quote
Sometimes I think the LX50 doesn't get the love it deserves. Mine has always given me problems from day one. Right now it's doing great. Either way I love it as much as my other two Vespas. I get a completely different experience on each of them. I'm hoping 20 years from now somebody sees me on it and says "That thing's a classic!" :)
Enthusiast
LX 50
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:47 pm quote
Lazm01 wrote:
hitbyastick wrote:

Called my local police department to make sure it was ok. They said no parking on the sidewalk at all, because they r motor vehicles. I see scooters on sidewalks downtown. I would be the unlucky one to get a ticket. LOL!

However, We still have other creative parking for 50"s
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.7201s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1142s) ][ Debug on ]