NSR-I am old
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:17 pm quote
In just about one hour, my time, I turn 66. How the hell did that happen. I don't feel 66(most of the time) I still work, I still exercise, I still play tennis, I still ride my Vespa......but in numbers, I am old. No one has asked me if I am if I am old enough to do what I do for many years. They do not ask me for ID for alcohol for many years(except at the movie theaters which card everyone....really) I do believe in the saying, "if you wake up in the morning and you have no pain.....you must be dead".. Or the saying, "I wake up in the morning and i read the obits, if I don't see my name I am ok"(a bit modified but the sentiment is the same, an old Weavers song, and I guess by saying that it shows I am old). Many of the staff I work with are not as old as my underwear. I play music in the operating room, mostly music from the 60's, 70's, and a bit from the 80's, most of my staff were not even born at the time of the music i listen to. So again, how did this happen? I had a great night going out to a fancy steak house with my wife tonight to celebrate. So I am sorry I just had to vent and I have to admit I do find this a great place to vent, we do have a great group of people on this blog. I hope all have a great day on my birthday and always be safe, have fun, and remember some of us are getting old.

Larry
Hooked
Piaggio Medley 150 iGet and Drive Easy Rider Scooter
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:00 pm quote
Congratulations Larry, for surviving so long and joining the ranks of the Old Farts. You must be a careful rider to be still amongst us. Just remember the truism: "Old age is not for sissies!" Worse is to come.
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:45 pm quote
... Larry, with these words you made me feel old to myself ... that I'm six years younger than you. Maybe I had your sprint
ooops...happy birthday!

Last edited by Attila on Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:04 pm quote
You ain't old, I am old. I wish I was still 66 and in my prime. Happy Birthday and enjoy your 'youth' while you can!
Addicted
GTS 300 - 'George IV' (KIA) GTS Super 300 - 'George V'
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:57 pm quote
Happy birthday old fella

I’m 65 next month
Ossessionato
'15 Blue GTS300 Super, '18 White GTS300 Super
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:30 pm quote
I can only echo Voodoo's words. Wish I was still a young, just retired 66. I turn 81 this Thursday.

Mike
Molto Verboso
2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:28 am quote
This is great! You’re doing just fine. I’m about to hit 67 next month. I survived prostate cancer (stage 4) 9 years ago. I play(ed) in a classic rock band last year and did 15 stage gigs. We just got back from Italy where we did a Vespa trip on the Amalfi coast for 6 days and drove through Sicily for the remaining second week and ended up in Salerno. And best of all, I am still with the woman I love after 43 years - my wife and partner-in-antics.

I learned one major lesson when my older brother and only sibling, died from cancer at age 58 in 2008 - burn bright! Don’t live a life of regret. Do EVERYTHING you can to finish your life with a spent bucket list. Sounds to me like you’re doing just that.

A0EC3131-CB3E-4BDA-8912-B37CF180C4C6.jpeg

Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(40,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(9,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(28,000)
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 am quote
Why are "the good old days" when you were young
Hooked
Primavera 150
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:22 am quote
Ive been 66 for 8 months. I haven't believed my age since I hit 50 (there's no way I'm that old). However, the bright spot is just 12 days away for me - retirement. I'm lucky enough to have a bit of a pension and I'm getting six months of severance pay. I don't need to touch my 401K until the IRS forces me to take distributions. I'm still mobile and I plan on doing whatever I want for awhile.
Molto Verboso
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:23 am quote
breaknwind wrote:
An interesting conundrum indeed, although I must say that these times are WAY BETTER daze [sic] for me and Bonnie.
2018 Gts 300
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:30 am quote
We are surrounded by old farts. I turn 62 in two weeks.

Happy Birthday Larry and all of us old farts.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:42 am quote
Happy 66th!
We visit my wife's aunt in her nursing home, she's 90, near death and looks it too. Her room mate and many of the residents there are younger than my 75 and it's a sobering event in any case, each time we visit. Likewise any trip to Walmart leaves me thinking about how many people I see there are who are even alive given their on an electric cart to shop or just look flat out unhealthy. Often their cart contents reflect themselves too!
Your playing tennis, still working, etc., so I'll not be worrying over your next few decades!
Aging story: My great grandfather, age 98/99 when he died, got his hair cut by my uncle who when visiting him always took me along if I wasn't in school.
He complained about the dementia of the other guys (this was an old folks home back in the 1950's and all men) and no checkers or chess partners to be found, thus he was stuck with solitaire. He had been a very successful businessman in KC, MO in the later 1800's but later lived in a Kansas, County Poor House as he'd helped keep too many farmers alive from his general store in rural KS during the depression. Life was tough when older back then, many of those folks must have lived in constant pain.
66 just isn't the same as those days.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:44 am quote
Well I'm getting close to the big 70 in just 7 months and hoping the CPAP machine I'm scheduled to be getting in a few days helps with the tiredness in the mornings.

I will be very happy if I can just wake up less tired than when I go to bed, or even the same tiredness!
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:52 am quote
kshansen wrote:
Well I'm getting close to the big 70 in just 7 months and hoping the CPAP machine I'm scheduled to be getting in a few days helps with the tiredness in the mornings.

I will be very happy if I can just wake up less tired than when I go to bed, or even the same tiredness!
I did the pulmonologist thing some years ago and also re-visited a new allergist. that followed a routine colon scoping where the nurse said my oxygen was a bit low. CPAP didn't work well for me due to allergies of old age, mostly seasonal and chronic, never had them when younger and never smoked either.
What does work for me is that I self inject allergy serum weekly, do netty pot and nasal sprays-flonase and azalastine which allows me to breathe just fine and my oxygen is OK as a result. Sleepwise is OK too other than joint & lumbar pains I'll live with for now. CPAP wasn't to my relief and I tried it even after adjustments but ended up turning it back in. Do what works.
Rocket Man
GTS 300 ABS ‘Drake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:59 am quote
breaknwind wrote:
Because things were always looking up!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:24 am quote
Sadly I find this truer than I’d like.

On Tuesday I go in to have my knee replacement though that is due to my accident back in 2013 not age since the repaired joint is collapsing.

CD81EE51-E46C-40F3-BA3C-11903B7E2F3C.jpeg

Ossessionato
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:37 am quote
It happened because you are still around. And I think it is a privilege to still be above ground and walking around. As long as you can still make the world a better place to live in, then it's all good.
Molto Verboso
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 am quote
YIKES!

Love you all, but this thread is turning into a medical report. Makes me laugh cause we do this exact thing at our annual get together with our friend from NYC and Montreal.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300(Sold) 2008 Silverwing "Train"/2006 GT200L "Lone Star"
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 am quote
Congratulations! Turning 66 beats the alternative.

Just turned 62 myself. Brain says I'm 40, mirror says I'm a million, hair died when I was 50.

Sleep with a CPAP, need a small Rubbermaid tub to corral the prescriptions.

On the bright side, both my knees are only old enough for first grade, I make it to the gym 3 times a week, still enjoy walking and being outdoors, and my wife lets me buy scooters and other stuff I don't need.

Like the immortal philosopher Dory says: "Just keep swimming..."
Addicted
2019 Honda - The Monkey
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:59 am quote
Congratulations!

I've been 66 for most of this year and rarely think of my age.

I can still ride a bike for 40 miles (albeit an electric one) and enjoy my Honda Monkey bike whenever the weather's decent.

You'll do OK and 'Happy Birthday'.

somerset
Enthusiast
None
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:47 am quote
Soul Surfer wrote:
This is great! You’re doing just fine. I’m about to hit 67 next month. I survived prostate cancer (stage 4) 9 years ago. I play(ed) in a classic rock band last year and did 15 stage gigs. We just got back from Italy where we did a Vespa trip on the Amalfi coast for 6 days and drove through Sicily for the remaining second week and ended up in Salerno. And best of all, I am still with the woman I love after 43 years - my wife and partner-in-antics.

I learned one major lesson when my older brother and only sibling, died from cancer at age 58 in 2008 - burn bright! Don’t live a life of regret. Do EVERYTHING you can to finish your life with a spent bucket list. Sounds to me like you’re doing just that.
Well Soul Surfer,if that is your Mesa & 4x12" in the pic & you can lift that lot for a gig you're doing pretty good at 67(nice Tele by the way).

I'm 74 & still gigging regulary,but I wouldn't be humping that Mesa stack in & out of pubs
Hooked
2009 GTS 250ie
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:00 am quote
Happy Birthday, Larry. 66 is just fine - I've been doing it for a couple months now. Just a bit over 4 months with a brand new hip, and I am doing the work necessary for the recuperation. Honestly, I didn't think I would live long enough to need "replacement parts."

We worked hard in our younger years and managed to retire two weeks before my 53rd birthday. Friends and family thought we were crazy to sell our business and leave to boat cruise at that time. No regrets whatsoever! I felt great physically until about 59 or so, when the hip "issue" started becoming evident. I could feel the effects of aging.

We kinda backed into what my wife called "fun summer jobs" for 7 of those years... I was captaining smaller excursion boats (50 or fewer passenger), she worked in the office/activities. After that first "fun summer job" (still plenty of work when you're on someone else's schedule), we made it a point to be in spectacular summer areas where we could have fun when not working.

I "re-retired" almost 3 years ago so we could have our summers free to travel (and scoot). Again, no regrets. Last year, the hip became enough of an issue that I could no longer hike or bike (bicycle), thus the hip replacement this past spring. I am getting back to my previous fitness, but not without some aches and pains. Truly, I am glad we first retired 13 years ago, when we were able to do the physical aspects of boat cruising and other activities.

Probably more info than you wanted, but just explaining that as long as the physical part holds up, the numbers (age) are less of an issue. Riding makes me feel great! We switched to scooters because of my hip, and now that it looks like the new one actually will be an improvement, I hope to ride even more. Can't say I "feel like a kid again" because even with the new parts, the rest of the bod is still on an old guy... but I plan to live until I die.

Enjoy the birthday celebration and keep looking forward!

Wishing you all the best,
Jim
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:03 am quote
Well, congrats, Larry!

I'm tailing you by a bit, but feel the same. In a lot of ways I don't feel the age, but there are warnings. Have a 16 y.o. who can make me feel like a dinosaur at times. I'd always thought I'd never retire, but the last few years are helping me rethink this. What I am planning on doing is cutting back to 3 days per week, which should feel luxurious, at least for a while. Possibly more trimming before I pull the plug. I want to be having fun and getting up and out 5 days a week just isn't cutting it.

CPAPs. Yeah. Been a year and some months, taken much of that time to accommodate. Can't say it's been much help energy-wise, but stops snoring, so my wife sleeps better and guess I do to, just not the boost of youthful glow I'd expected. I'm on the lower end of the spectrum, so YMMV.

Cheryl: Good luck with the surgery. Seems like a fairly good time of the year to get it done, though I'm not sure there's ever a good one.
Hooked
Vespa 300 touring 2018
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:04 am quote
I am 81 sold My 9th Harley last year and bought my Vespa 300 loveing every day with it
Older Guy
Enthusiast
GTS 300
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:42 am quote
Happy Birthday.
66 is the new 56 from what I can tell.
Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:05 pm quote
Older Guy wrote:
I am 81 sold My 9th Harley last year and bought my Vespa 300 loveing every day with it
Older Guy
Congrats old fella, keep on riding. It'll keep you young.

I know it's worked for me. Still riding at 84. Trying for 90 and then 100.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:42 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Cheryl: Good luck with the surgery. Seems like a fairly good time of the year to get it done, though I'm not sure there's ever a good one.
Thanks, it was planned to interfere the least with other activities.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:18 pm quote
You aren't old FFS. I'm 67 and I don't feel old at all. OK, I've had to wear glasses since I was 40 to ensure I can read menus, but apart from that life is good, ta very much.

I have to confess things have got better and better since about 9 years ago when I gave up Scotch and stuck to beer, 5 years ago when I gave up smoking, and 3 years ago when I started to keep to a vegan diet. All Ivana Tinkle's fault of course.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:36 pm quote
vegan diet that is not easy, my youngest is a vegan and an MD and her undergrad degree in human nutrition, she is a very strict vegan but she loves it and manages to keep it up even being a medical resident working insane hours. When she is on call she packs a ton of food but manages to do it. it is a bit hard finding restaurants to take her out to, but being in the Chicago area we do have a number of options. I do believe it is a healthy diet but too strict for me.

Larry
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:09 pm quote
OK. I'll join the "organ recital".

I'm 71 and still have all my original joints - though not all my original parts. (No more prostate, but no more cancer either. A good trade AFAIC.)

When I started riding again at 58 I decided I would ride 'till I'm 70 and then take it year-to-year. Now I'm thinking of making the same plan 'till I'm 80. No guarantees, of course, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm still working four partial days a week at something I love and continue to get better at.

Retire? I'm not sure what that would mean to me.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:05 pm quote
On Saturdays I run with a bunch of guys . Most would consider 66 to be young. Some are over 75 and an odd few are 80.

Of course the fast guys are younger at , say 45 and up but it is cross country and one has to run with the brain as well as with the feet.
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:31 pm quote
The subject header is waythehell up there /\ !
What is it again? ......and ....what's for dinner?

O.S.
Molto Verboso
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:35 pm quote
Older Guy wrote:
Older Guy
You’re my new super hero.
Enthusiast
1987 Honda Helix
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:31 pm quote
I'm 68 and old age has been good to me. The registration and insurance came due on the Helix and I this time I haven't renewed. Actually I'm thinking about selling it. My favorite activity these days is going to the beach in my camper van and just hanging out with my parrot for a few days. Drink beer. Fly the drone. Make utube videos. And thank the Lord (or whoever) for all the gifts I have been blessed with.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:36 pm quote
Many happy returns of your celebrating life day!

Every one is a milestone of achievement, of experience and of wisdom.
You already have one up on me.

I just got back from a four day weekend biking event on my BMW 1200 GS.
I thought I would just do this one and then sell the bike, but after completing this years event, I'm already planning next year's one as my last.
This trip got me thinking:
'Why sell? The bike is paid for and the insurance is still affordable on your pension.'
My wife of 40 years will retire next November at 65.
That would be a far better time to re-think it all again...
and that's AFTER next years event!

Meanwhile, my Vespa 300GTS is my daily ride and I love it to bits.
I run my chores with it and it gets smiles from the people I meet - even the young ladies. That really makes my days!
(Okay the young ones that aren't going through life already dead and buried in their smart phones)

My dad had a heart attack at 50, a stroke at 60 and passed at 70.
I have bettered that history already.
Must be my mom's genes - she passed 3 years ago at 87.
Molto Verboso
04 Granturismo- boy thats fun to say
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:05 pm quote
Happy Birthday- enjoy your steak!
Hooked
GTV250, PX150 & LX50
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:24 pm quote
Just today I jokingly said all my affairs are in order - if I die today I'm leaving all three Vespas in perfect working order at the same time. That's hopefully a joke for a few more decades. My view on age has improved since walking the Camino de Santiago- I met a lot of men and women a lot older than me putting in 20 miles on foot day after day. The trick I'm trying is to just slow down - not necessarily going slow - I can still move as fast as I want and go from one bucket list item to the next - I just don't ever need to be in a hurry to do any of it. I'm crossing my fingers that approach is going to stick with me and make the next few decades the best of all of them!
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:42 pm quote
Piglet wrote:
t and go from one bucket list item to the next -
Is this the same bucket that gets kicked at the end?
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:36 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
Piglet wrote:
t and go from one bucket list item to the next -
Is this the same bucket that gets kicked at the end?
Exactly
Addicted
Honda elite
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:47 pm quote
Rock On Larry this is a great post! Happy birthday!
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.3054s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0305s) ][ Debug on ]