What do you all think of this '63 Allstate?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Author Message
Member
Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Posts: 15
Location: York, PA
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:43 pm quote
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about buying my first scooter. I've had a Honda Passport in the past, but never a Vespa. Anyway, I went and checked out this Allstate and want to get some mare expert opinions on it. It's a little rough cosmetically; the bodywork is pretty consistently banged up and it has a few layers of paint over the original blue. The guy selling it said that he bought it as an original barn find and went through and rebuilt the engine from top to bottom and went over the rest of the mechanical part. It has some hotrod parts, including a 177cc Polini kit and an uprated carb. I didn't ride it or anything, but it did start on the first kick. He also claims it comes with a bunch of extra parts too (mostly original stuff), which I am waiting to hear more about. Is there something terrible that I'm missing here, and if not what would you offer for such a project? I like the idea of having a running scooter, and I look at it as an opportunity to learn body and paintwork on, which I would like to do. It also gives me the potential to personalize it along the way, but I also don't want an insurmountable money pit, either. A small money pit would be OK, though.




















/\ That last one is a video, if it works.

Last edited by r_fostoria on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hooked
1955 Allstate 1958 lambretta 1965 Allstate 1968 sprint
Joined: 20 Jul 2017
Posts: 367
Location: Central california
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:35 pm quote
63 Allstate
Well....I guess it depends on the price. They seem to very in price as to where you live. I live in California and prices seem higher here than on the East Coast. I can give you an example...I have close to 2000 in my 65. Totally original.

381B4756-EB1E-4C2A-A5DF-044FF398C3A5.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7062
Location: seattle/athens
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:39 pm quote
Me likey, excellent small money pit!

Here's where you need to be careful, but appears to have no serious rot. You should be able to push a blunt screwdriver against any surface rusted areas w/ no problem.

That pipe, wow. On 8" tires it could be scrubbing pavement on spirited left turns.
Member
Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Posts: 15
Location: York, PA
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:00 pm quote
Re: 63 Allstate
Sjanuary wrote:
Well....I guess it depends on the price. They seem to very in price as to where you live. I live in California and prices seem higher here than on the East Coast. I can give you an example...I have close to 2000 in my 65. Totally original.
Oh wow, that one is very nice. This one is $1500 obo, but it's been for sale for quite a while. The guy came right out and said he was flexible on the price.
Ossessionato
Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 3907
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:39 pm quote
Offer him half and see if he flinches. If it was near me, that's what I would do. I'm a little surprised that someone would drop the amount of money in the engine as he claims. Those front ends and brakes were designed for slow going, but can be improved. It looks like a decent project and you would have fun with it. Hopefully he has a title for it. And it is a '61 -'62, not '63 as he claims.
Member
Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Posts: 15
Location: York, PA
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:58 pm quote
Tierney wrote:
Offer him half and see if he flinches. If it was near me, that's what I would do. I'm a little surprised that someone would drop the amount of money in the engine as he claims. Those front ends and brakes were designed for slow going, but can be improved. It looks like a decent project and you would have fun with it. Hopefully he has a title for it. And it is a '61 -'62, not '63 as he claims.
Is there a way to tell what the year is from the VIN? I'm noticing the rounded rear fender now that I'm looking back at these pictures. He does say it has a title, too.
Addicted
Joined: 03 Nov 2011
Posts: 954
Location: Racing Capital of the World
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:58 pm quote
What a shame they painted it red, the robin blue Allstateís look great.

If the price is right. .

It has the cool split headset that I like. I would not offer more than a k. I am real skeptical of the work done or done right. Dude could not bother to take care of his switch, install cables correctly, or deal with his center stand.
Hooked
1955 Allstate 1958 lambretta 1965 Allstate 1968 sprint
Joined: 20 Jul 2017
Posts: 367
Location: Central california
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:00 pm quote
Allstate
Iím in there with Gick. 750.00 I think is where I would be. Unless your in a hurry shop around a bit. You might be able to find something in much better shape for not much more money. I think there is an Allstate right now on face book. I would tag it to you but Iím donít know how. Sorry. Scott
Hooked
1955 Allstate 1958 lambretta 1965 Allstate 1968 sprint
Joined: 20 Jul 2017
Posts: 367
Location: Central california
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 pm quote
Vintage community classifieds on face book where you will find a vintage Allstate for sale. They want 1200.00 doesnít hurt to look. Scott
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 1224
Location: Florence, OR
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:51 pm quote
I'm with Gick and ScottJan. If the person can't fix the kick stand and take care of some of the little stuff, like floor rails, etc, who knows what's going on in the engine. $7-800 ~ maybe - maybe, is what I'd offer.

I paid $1700 or mine, but it was in pretty sweet, unmolested shape. And the owner delivered it to my door. I was going to have it shipped, so I didn't bother arm wrestling on the price.

I've been slowly (very slowly) cleaning it up. Here is a pic and a link to the refurbish thread: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic165005

20190710_105247_resized.jpg
1962 Allstate Cruisaire

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7062
Location: seattle/athens
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:32 pm quote
If you have no idea how it runs & rides, how it shifts & brakes and how it acts after a few miles and getting up to temp, then you don't know what it might be worth. If somebody w/ experience rides it for a bit and there are problems with any of the above, the motor rebuild may reflect less than proper work and I wouldn't give over 500 if it seems a lot things need 'adjusting'. And not over a grand if all seems as it should be on a short ride. But that's here & that's me.

Oh, with good papers, maybe up a little - with no papers, def down some.
Member
Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Posts: 15
Location: York, PA
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:38 am quote
qascooter wrote:
I'm with Gick and ScottJan. If the person can't fix the kick stand and take care of some of the little stuff, like floor rails, etc, who knows what's going on in the engine. $7-800 ~ maybe - maybe, is what I'd offer.

I paid $1700 or mine, but it was in pretty sweet, unmolested shape. And the owner delivered it to my door. I was going to have it shipped, so I didn't bother arm wrestling on the price.

I've been slowly (very slowly) cleaning it up. Here is a pic and a link to the refurbish thread: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic165005
Yes, I've been following your thread. Your scooter is very nice! It really puts the condition of this one into perspective. I dunno, maybe I'll throw a low offer at him and see what happens. He said there have been lots and lots of people who inquired or looked at it and were put off, so maybe it'll work. He said he payed $1000 for it in original shape, so he might not be happy about it, but it is the end of the season anyway, and I do understand the value of waiting/spending a bit more on something that was well maintained. I'm not in any sort of hurry, either.
Hooked
'63 VBB2T - '18 300 GTS Super Notte
Joined: 26 Apr 2019
Posts: 177
Location: Belgium
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:40 am quote
You'll be able to strip that red paint quite easily BTW.
Member
Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Posts: 15
Location: York, PA
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:06 am quote
DD_VES wrote:
You'll be able to strip that red paint quite easily BTW.
Yes, that red paint just sitting on there is really bothering me, like when someone leaves the clear plastic shipping film on a new piece of electronic equipment. I just want to peel it off!
Member
Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Posts: 15
Location: York, PA
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:14 am quote
Yep, I think you guys successfully talked me out of this one. The engine stuff is pretty overwhelming from a beginner's perspective, but it looks like the big bore kit involves Dremeling out ports, which seems really easy to majorly screw up, and I also don't really trust it. If this thing were all stock, I think it would actually be better. I got the price to come down, but not down far enough.

Any advice on what else I should be on the lookout for? I'm thinking that maybe a Genuine Stella is a better starting point seeing as they're much newer and more modern while remaining pretty darn affordable.
Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200E, 1965 Allstate
Joined: 19 Jan 2016
Posts: 60
Location: Claremont, CA
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:17 am quote
Get a P200. Stellas are made in India.
Member
P200
Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Posts: 10
Location: Springfield, Oregon
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:35 pm quote
Iím too new to give advise but hereís my story. I was in the market for a scooter but didnít know where to start so I attended a local scooter club get together. I explained my requirements were that it be a two stroke, manual transmission, fairly reliable, able to run with 30-45 mph traffic, easy to work on with parts available and that I was leaning towards a Stella. Almost in unison they said, get a P ride it a year and see if scooters are your thing. I ended up buying qascooters (Scott) P200 and couldnít be happier. Iíve owned it two months ,put 650 miles on it and still have a big smile on my face every time I start it. I hope to own a VBB someday but as a first scoot the P was the right choice for me, she is allowing me to tinker and learn but reliable enough I get to ride every day. Whatever you decide this forum is a great source of information and best of luck.
Chris.
Member
Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Posts: 15
Location: York, PA
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:27 am quote
Scootnewb wrote:
Iím too new to give advise but hereís my story. I was in the market for a scooter but didnít know where to start so I attended a local scooter club get together. I explained my requirements were that it be a two stroke, manual transmission, fairly reliable, able to run with 30-45 mph traffic, easy to work on with parts available and that I was leaning towards a Stella. Almost in unison they said, get a P ride it a year and see if scooters are your thing. I ended up buying qascooters (Scott) P200 and couldnít be happier. Iíve owned it two months ,put 650 miles on it and still have a big smile on my face every time I start it. I hope to own a VBB someday but as a first scoot the P was the right choice for me, she is allowing me to tinker and learn but reliable enough I get to ride every day. Whatever you decide this forum is a great source of information and best of luck.
Chris.
Thanks, it sounds like I'm in a similar situation. I'll keep my eye out for a P200. I think at this point I'll just watch the markets over winter and hopefully end up with something closer to springtime next year when it's riding season again.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2826s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0462s) ][ Debug on ]