Smallframe Fork & Drum Types Question?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
2 Vespa 90 V9A1T US Model's
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:21 pm quote
New too smallframe wrenching and have a couple questions:

--I have a 1974 v90 (N. American Model) its fork has the 4 bolts too the solid steel wheels and brake drum.

--Also have a 1976 v90 (N. American Model) it fork has the Aluminum brake hub, with 5 bolts to the rim.

Is one better than the other? Does one perform better than the other?

Are these forks interchangeable?

The frame on my '74 is in better shape, was considering using the '76 fork w/aluminum brake, and engine w/rear brake on my build.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x2 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 pm quote
I run both and you need to ask about the motor end first. You can swap parts on the motor or fork to match wheels if that's important to you. I like the 5 bolt setup because the brakes are wider at the motor end and the rims are usually easier to source.

Which motor is in better condition? Start w/ that.
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:00 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:
I run both and you need to ask about the motor end first. You can swap parts on the motor or fork to match wheels if that's important to you. I like the 5 bolt setup because the brakes are wider at the motor end and the rims are usually easier to source.

I see it's all most likely swappable. One motor is all together with a seized head, the other is completely disassembled and in need of vapor blasting and overhaul.
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:01 pm quote
smallframenyc wrote:
V oodoo wrote:

I see it's all most likely swappable. One motor is all together with a seized head, the other is completely disassembled and in need of vapor blasting and overhaul.
seized "Piston" which sounds like it might just be from sitting too long, apparently it had been running 3-4 years ago.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.6300s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1792s) ][ Debug on ]