Should I be concerned?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Vespa GTS250ie
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:43 pm quote
Been trying to fix my seat lock system and noticed this... is this an oil breather hose? if it is, should I replace it ASAP?

IMG_6258.jpg

IMG_6259.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:19 pm quote
Looks like a breather as it seems to go to the valve cover. Get replace as soon as possible.
If you can't do it soon, put something over the crack. Clean it and Gorilla tape should stick, or some kind of a putty.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere down South, in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:01 am quote
Hello chiniz,

Yes as WEB-Tech says, it's breather tube. Replace that hose as soon as possible. It can affect how the bike runs because it breaks the 'closed loop' system of the engine if it leaks so the bike won't be running quite right.

By all means try and use some Gorilla tape or some such thing as a temporary fix but do not use any form of putty to fix it. If the putty, even small amounts become ingested into the engine this will not be good and will cause an issue.

The hose is cheap so don't delay. You will also need a new hose clip each end of the hose. I'd recommend using worm drive screw type on the new hose because they can be fixed on without the need for the clamping tool that Vespa uses on the original one time use clips that you have. Good luck!

Last edited by Stromrider on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Molto Verboso
GTS 250i.e.
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:01 am quote
Its the breather hose. Its pretty thick and might only be cracking on the outside. Remove the clamp and check the inside for splits or cracks. If its ok on the inside, you could tape up the outside and put a new clamp on it.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:39 am quote
It's the hose off the crankcase ventilation valve. You can pull it off and the bike will run fine, but a fine mist of oil will cover just about everything. Either replace it with a new one, get a small pod filter for the end, or get a longer hose and run it down so it points at the ground. If you do either of the later two, you need to cover the hole in the air box the other end of the hose ran to. Whatever you do, don't close it. That will cause problems. If you can get a high temp clear hose, that's a good replacement, because you can see what sort of air and junk the engine is giving off. Whenever you put too much oil in the engine, most of it works it's way out this tube. If you ride your bike at full throttle all day and it uses some oil, this is where it is going. That is why it is very common to see race bikes with a capture system coming off this tube that allows the oil to collect and then drain back into the engine. I've got a couple of different ones, but I could never figure out where to mount them on a Vespa.
As bikes wear out, and the engine makes more blowby, it's a good idea to disconnect the tube from the air box and run it into a collection canister of some sort, or to the ground. Otherwise your bike is breathing some pretty dirty air.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:15 am quote
GTdespatchcourier wrote:
Its the breather hose. Its pretty thick and might only be cracking on the outside. Remove the clamp and check the inside for splits or cracks. If its ok on the inside, you could tape up the outside and put a new clamp on it.
If the hose is cracked it is time to replace. Next crack might be someplace you can't see so easy and may never know the crack is there.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:19 am quote
Motovista wrote:
It's the hose off the crankcase ventilation valve. You can pull it off and the bike will run fine, but a fine mist of oil will cover just about everything. Either replace it with a new one, get a small pod filter for the end, or get a longer hose and run it down so it points at the ground. If you do either of the later two, you need to cover the hole in the air box the other end of the hose ran to. Whatever you do, don't close it. That will cause problems. If you can get a high temp clear hose, that's a good replacement, because you can see what sort of air and junk the engine is giving off. Whenever you put too much oil in the engine, most of it works it's way out this tube. If you ride your bike at full throttle all day and it uses some oil, this is where it is going. That is why it is very common to see race bikes with a capture system coming off this tube that allows the oil to collect and then drain back into the engine. I've got a couple of different ones, but I could never figure out where to mount them on a Vespa.
As bikes wear out, and the engine makes more blowby, it's a good idea to disconnect the tube from the air box and run it into a collection canister of some sort, or to the ground. Otherwise your bike is breathing some pretty dirty air.
Unless you have a problem with the motor you should not get so much blow by that you need to bypass the air box.
And the on the ground option is a no, no. There is enough oil being dripped on the ground by vehicles these days.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere down South, in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:05 pm quote
Good advice from WEB-Tech.

What Motovista is suggesting is not a good way to go. Just replace the hose to maintain that part of the closed loop system. Your bike will run better for it and the engine internals, particularly in the cam box will remain cleaner. So will engine emmisions. It's just a pipe that's cheap to replace. That pipe allows the fumes from the crankcase & valve gear to be sucked back into the combustion chamber for burning instead of going to atmosphere and thus causing pollution.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:01 pm quote
Looks like that hose is a Vespa # 844094 and online goes from about $10.00 to $15.00.

Or you could possibly find something at an automotive parts store that would work. Just be sure you get something that is rated for oil or gas NOT heater hose that is made for water/coolant.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2452s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0383s) ][ Debug on ]