Newbie, New GTS HPE, New Question: Wobbly at 60mph?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
GTS 300 HPE
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:22 am quote
Hi there from the Pacific Northwest!

I just bought a GTS 300 HPE (verdi relax) in the end of August and am love love loving it. I am going perhaps a little hogwild imagining all the amazing accessories and acoutrements that I obviously absolutely require to go with it. So far I have limited myself to ordering the top case, the top case suport, and the rear crash guard but I have an excel spreadsheet with an assortment of other ideas and pricings ad nauseam which I may or may not ever get to. First I will read this forum to get what peoples experiences have been with things before I go crazy.

I've put about 150 miles on it so far, about half of that in one trip where I was riding moderately hilly terrain and flats for about an hour and a half before the engine got an hour's break, some stop and go traffic, and then the return trip.

Most of this trip was about 40mph but some stretches I got up to 60 or 65 on the speedometer (i think the speedometer reads at minimum 5 mph faster than the bike actually goes, but whatever).

When in stopped traffic, I'm assuming the hyperdrive loudness was just a fan coming on -- it seemed to do that only when I was stopped for more than a minute or two but as soon as I started moving again, the airflow probably cooled the engine down enough that I was fine. OK so I'm not inordinately worried about that but wouldn't mind some input.

What I am a little worried about is, after getting up to about 60-65mph I noticed that the wheels/tires felt wobbly or almost as though there was some kind of nubby bump on the tires. At first I thought I had a flat until I realized if I had a flat I'd probably be sprawled all over the pavement already. I slowed down carefully and the wobbly/nubby went away, sped up again and it was back again.

Does anyone else experience this at speeds ~60mph?

It's really nice to find this board, I'm looking forward to doing a lot of reading.

Michele

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/MxZHcqjBYxyWGFQm7[/img]
Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 am quote
The noise at idle or stop and go traffic is indeed the fan. It's supposed to come on, the fact that it shuts off when you begin to move at some speed means everything there is fine.

As for the wobble, it's hard to figure from your description. Some GTS models over the years had a low speed wobble when deccelarating through about 30 mph or so. Never read about a high speed wobble before. Did the scooter feel like it would change directions on its own? Or was it like a flat spot on a tire? A GTS is very flickable and high speeds on narrow 12 inch wheels may just seem wobbly until you get used to how the scoot handles.
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:33 am quote
Ciao dall'Italia Michele
Hi from Italy, how are you doing there? I've been on the forum since 2007.
Check that the tire pressure is correct.

Last edited by Attila on Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere down South, in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:35 am quote
Hello Michele,

So glad you have an HPE, they are truly lovely bikes.

I'm assuming you haven't yet fitted the top box/rack etc to your bike? If that's the case then I would suggest you urgently check your tyre pressures and make sure they are set to the correct pressures. Many dealers over inflate the tyres and this will cause similar wobble issues to the one you describe. They should be set to 29psi rear, and 26psi front. The front should never change from that pressure even with a passenger, but the rear wheel can be increased to 32psi with a passenger but no higher. Those pressures should be set with the tyres cold just in case you are not sure.

Of course you may have a wheel out of balance but that's unlikely just yet.

If you have already fitted the rack and top box to your bike this can often upset the balance of the bike. So make sure you fit the extra heavy handlbar weights that should come with those accessories. This will counteract the wobble and make everything ok.

Come back with some more info such as your tyre pressures etc if you can.

Oh, nearly forgot. I'd check your engine coolant level. Some dealers don't even get that level right on the pdi and this can make the fan come on early in traffic. Bear in mind your engine is in the break-in period and it will get a bit hotter as the engine is 'tight' and this produces more friction inside the engine, and this produces more heat. Bear in mind you should not exceed around 60mph during break-in. My fan hardly ever comes on so if yours is coming on lots it could be you are low on engine coolant. The header tank is under the right hand side knee pad on the back of the leg shields. Don't open the tank cap to check the level if the engine is hot in case hot coolant comes out under pressure. You should however be able to see the level through the window on the tank.

Last edited by Stromrider on Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:43 am quote
Stormrider is an exceptional connoisseur of Vespa, his diagnoses are often (100%) correct.
I could get my Yamaha to do the maintenance from to he if he lived near me.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 HPE
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:45 am quote
griffin1108 wrote:
The noise at idle or stop and go traffic is indeed the fan. It's supposed to come on, the fact that it shuts off when you begin to move at some speed means everything there is fine.

As for the wobble, it's hard to figure from your description. Some GTS models over the years had a low speed wobble when deccelarating through about 30 mph or so. Never read about a high speed wobble before. Did the scooter feel like it would change directions on its own? Or was it like a flat spot on a tire? A GTS is very flickable and high speeds on narrow 12 inch wheels may just seem wobbly until you get used to how the scoot handles.
Hi Griffin, thank you for your reply. No, the steering remained quite steady I didn't really experience difficulty beyond just being alarmed by the sudden bumpy quality of the ride on a straight, flat, even pavement. It seemed to me rather than a flat spot on a tire that there was a suddenly appearing bump or bumps on the tire(s). Wobble I think was the wrong word choice but I really don't know what the right language is to describe the feeling other than bumpy. I mean the bumpiness did contribute to a vibratory factor that could be, without total inaccuracy, described as wiggle but I wouldn't call it a direction change. If I were going handsfree I do think it would change directions. I think it would without the bumpy, though, too probably.
Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:51 am quote
Hi Michelle, you already have the advise so I will just welcome you to the forum from New England
Enthusiast
GTS 300 HPE
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:03 am quote
Ciao Attila! Abbio a Firenze qualche anni fa... tanti anni fa. Mi manca l'Italia.

Strom, hello to you too!
Stromrider wrote:
Hello Michele,

So glad you have an HPE, they are truly lovely bikes.

I'm assuming you haven't yet fitted the top box/rack etc to your bike? If that's the case then I would suggest you urgently check your tyre pressures and make sure they are set to the correct pressures. Many dealers over inflate the tyres and this will cause similar wobble issues to the one you describe. They should be set to 29psi rear, and 26psi front. The front should never change from that pressure even with a passenger, but the rear wheel can be increased to 32psi with a passenger but no higher.

Of course you may have a wheel out of balance but that's unlikely just yet.

If you have already fitted the rack and top box to your bike this can often upset the balance of the bike. So make sure you fit the extra heavy handlbar weights that should come with those accessories. This will counteract the wobble and make everything ok.

Come back with some more info such as your tyre pressures etc if you can.

Oh, nearly forgot. I'd check your engine coolant level. Some dealers don't even get that level right on the pdi and this can make the fan come on early in traffic. Bear in mind your engine is in the break-in period and it will get a bit hotter as the engine is 'tight' and this produces more friction inside the engine, and this produces more heat. Bear in mind you should not exceed around 60mph during break-in. My fan hardly ever comes on so if yours is coming on lots it could be you are low on engine coolant. The header tank is under the right hand side knee pad on the back of the leg shields. Don't open the tank cap to check the level if the engine is hot in case hot coolant comes out under pressure. You should however be able to see the level through the window on the tank.
You are right, I have not fitted the accessories yet -- they haven't come yet. I will get some tire pressure readings for you tomorrow. I am not mechanically capable or handy even at all but I will try to check out the coolant level as well, as I suspect a low level is the case. I'm also hoping that the topcase and crash bars are easy enough to install that the relatively inept like me might be able to fudge our way through it.

I bought my vespa at a dealer about 200 (?) miles away. While there I mentioned that the ASR did not function as I expected (on off button did not result in any change in the status icon no matter how i sliced it). They pulled out the manual, read it, put it back in the bike and told me to figure it out when I got home. I got it home and yadda yadda three phone calls to three dealers later, one very long ride to a dealer in another country, and my ASR is now calibrated properly. The dealer I bought from does not, apparently, know how to calibrate ASR and had insisted the Vespa manual was incorrect. So long story short PDI at my dealer is already known to be shoddy.

The fan seems to come on whenever I am stopped for any minor length of time, not necessarily related to length of trip. For example, I live in a border town. If I drive 2 miles to the border and wait in line 3 cars back, by the time I'm next in line the fan is going. If I'm at a stop light for the entire length of the light, the fan will start. If I approach the light with it already red and I'm there for only a portion of the red light, it may not come on. Seems to me that, like the gas gauge only being half full when I took delivery, the coolant must also be less than full.
Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:14 am quote
Sorry to hear about your dealer woes. Given their lack of attention to detail (and refusal to get educated), the problem may be as simple as a wheel that is not properly balanced.

As for the crash bars and top case, they are easy peasy. The OEM instructions look like hieroglyphics, but if you sit, look at the parts, then work your way through, the installation of both is very easy. Or put another way, once you look at the parts and think about how they should look and what they should do, there really is only one way to put them on. The most important thing is to take your time, don't feel pressured to go quickly and, when in doubt, stop and think about what you are about to do. If you're still stumped, post your question here with pictures of where you are in the installation process. Someone here will jump in and get you to the promised land. Another important point is use the proper tool, it makes everything easier even if you can do a work around. And, importantly, no one here will trash you as a know nothing newbie if you need help. Remember, there are no stupid questions here.
2018 Gts 300
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:23 pm quote
Sister,
Welcome to the group. I would recommend looking on YouTube for installation instructions. I really like the ones from ScooterWest, the ones from Robot are exceptionally clear. Iíve installed cases,crashbars,hardwired power for the Garmin 395, brake and turn signal trunk led lighting and windscreens. I just watched the videos several times and took notes.

Since your dealer sucks I would look for a video by Robot that covers basic maintenance and do that to your bike. I bet your levels are low.
Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:04 pm quote
Welcome!! Happy to hear your enjoying the thrill of owning such a fine machine. Others have offered so much good advice Iíll not repeat them but maybe I can help you with checking your coolant level.

Not sure how mechanically adroit you are but when you look at the knee pad youíll see a screw with a funny head. The tool to remove that screw is in your glove box in the toolkit. Once you remove the knee pad itís hard to see the fluid level so just take one hand while youíre looking and wiggle the bike. If itís not up to the full line you can top it up.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 HPE
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:21 pm quote
Thanks Rob, Hewl, Griffin!

Ok Strom, I checked the tire pressure and I think you are right on the money. The front is 22 psi and the back tire is 32. Definitely needs some adjusting, including for the back as I will be riding solo for the forseeable future.

Rob thank you for telling me where that tool is, I was thinking I was stymied until I went to a tool supply store and got something because I was sure I didn't have what is necessary. I will go back in the garage and see what kind of trouble I can get into.

Hewl - I have watched a few of Robot's videos already, and it was his video on installing the crash bars that convinced me to go ahead and buy them. I haven't watched anything on the top case but was assuming that of all the accessories it and the support bar would probably be the easiest to install. The one I want that I do not anticipate being easy is the front rack, I was told by my (shoddy) dealer that installation involves taking apart the front/leg shield and if the dealer does it, requires 1.5-2 hours of qualified labor to install. at a not inconsiderable hourly rate of course. and that it would need to be a dealer to do it to not violate the warranty. So I have been debating on that one and wanting feedback from someone somewhere here about 3rd party racks that don't involve taking the leg shield apart. I did watch Robot's video and it seemed, with the right tools and a lot of patience, doable to install the OEM part, but didn't answer the warranty part of that equation.

Hi Flyangler, which part of New England if you don't mind my asking? (ok to be geographically vague, I am...) I spend a lot of time in my youth travelling from New York to Boston (sometimes Maine) and parts between.

Thanks everyone for all your ideas and help.

Michele
2019 GTS 300 Super
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37 pm quote
Welcome fellow Washingtonian! I wonder if we bought from the same dealer...we went through a similar experience with both our scoots. We now take them to Portland Vespa for service - just returned from getting my 620 mile break in service done this last weekend.

I need to get a pic of my scoot posted....
Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:38 pm quote
sisterdelirious wrote:
Thanks Rob, Hewl, Griffin!

Ok Strom, I checked the tire pressure and I think you are right on the money. The front is 22 psi and the back tire is 32. Definitely needs some adjusting, including for the back as I will be riding solo for the forseeable future.

Rob thank you for telling me where that tool is, I was thinking I was stymied until I went to a tool supply store and got something because I was sure I didn't have what is necessary. I will go back in the garage and see what kind of trouble I can get into.

Hewl - I have watched a few of Robot's videos already, and it was his video on installing the crash bars that convinced me to go ahead and buy them. I haven't watched anything on the top case but was assuming that of all the accessories it and the support bar would probably be the easiest to install. The one I want that I do not anticipate being easy is the front rack, I was told by my (shoddy) dealer that installation involves taking apart the front/leg shield and if the dealer does it, requires 1.5-2 hours of qualified labor to install. at a not inconsiderable hourly rate of course. and that it would need to be a dealer to do it to not violate the warranty. So I have been debating on that one and wanting feedback from someone somewhere here about 3rd party racks that don't involve taking the leg shield apart. I did watch Robot's video and it seemed, with the right tools and a lot of patience, doable to install the OEM part, but didn't answer the warranty part of that equation.

Hi Flyangler, which part of New England if you don't mind my asking? (ok to be geographically vague, I am...) I spend a lot of time in my youth travelling from New York to Boston (sometimes Maine) and parts between.

Thanks everyone for all your ideas and help.
I'm just north of Northampton Ma.
Michele
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm quote
I find my Vespas have always handled better with 32 and 36 on the tire inflation. At 26 on the front I've had the deceleration wobble but you should decide on your own what works best for you. With a top case you should install heavier bar ends. Otherwise the front can lift a bit and give you a drifting feeling. That can also contribute to wobble.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 HPE
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:08 pm quote
Hey 2ScootN - sounds like you are far enough south that you would have purchased in Vancouver or Tacoma area vespa dealers. i bought a little further north than that in the Seattle area then hauled it up here in a van. If I were closer I would just scoot back over there and have them work on it and address the issues, with me educating them where necessary (e.g., calibration of ASR) but it's just not feasible given the distance.

Instead I think I will mostly be doing things myself (a totally new occupation for me, as I'm not mechanically inclined) or travelling into Canada to my closest Vespa dealer who may or may not be able to do any warranty work. Right now, my issues with tire pressure and coolant keep me from wanting to go to them because it took me the better part of 2 hours (avoiding highways because I'm still not broken in) to get to them the other day to have them look at the ASR.

Thank you cdwise, I will remember that.

Rob g I found the tool!

Ok so I got into behind the knee pad, couldn't get the cap off, enlisted some help and he couldnt get the cap off, got some pliers and got the cap off. Could see through the white plastic and it looked like nothing was in there. With the cap off, could see with a flashlight that there is some small amount of pink stuff waaaaaay down in the bottom, nowhere near the min line.

I went to the local autoparts dealer to buy coolant (after reading the very long thread here about coolant) and did find a nitrite free coolant by Prestone but didn't recall seeing it mentioned on the thread and didn't feel comfortable buying it because the letters OAT didn't appear on the bottle that I could see. So I guess my next step is to find a way to procure some Halvoline or Chevron-Texaco Dex Cool or some ParaFlu.

I drove over to a local gas station to add some air to my front tire, forgetting the tire pressure gauge. Counted to twenty with air, came home, was at 40 psi. Used the tire gauge to release pressure, suddenly I was back down to 23 psi. So I guess I will have some more homework playing around with tire pressure at the gas station with a gauge. cdwise I think I will keep your 32 - 36 in my back pocket but will start out aiming for the oem recommended 26-29 and see how I do, assuming I can actually manage in all my ineptitude to achieve said psi.
Hooked
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:26 pm quote
sisterdelirious wrote:
I drove over to a local gas station to add some air to my front tire, forgetting the tire pressure gauge. Counted to twenty with air, came home, was at 40 psi. Used the tire gauge to release pressure, suddenly I was back down to 23 psi. So I guess I will have some more homework playing around with tire pressure at the gas station with a gauge. cdwise I think I will keep your 32 - 36 in my back pocket but will start out aiming for the oem recommended 26-29 and see how I do, assuming I can actually manage in all my ineptitude to achieve said psi.
Thereís a special kind of satisfaction you get from doing your own work. Spent 2 days a couple weekends ago laying on my back in the mud fixing a busted fuel line on my tractor. Gave me the same feeling as when I line up my bikes and change everyoneís oil!

There are some things you can do to make some of the jobs easier. For engine and gear oil changes Iíve found a 60cc syringe with a cath tip and a short length of hose makes the job super easy and exact. For keeping the tires aired up I find my little baby Kobalt compressor indispensable. Just set it for the psi you want and hit the button. It stops automatically and is accurate. $50 at Loweís.

BD50B7F5-E514-49CE-BF12-7A3FC9FEADE0.jpeg

Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:15 pm quote
One thing to add about the top case, if you have the OEM topcase, it should come with heavier bar end weights (the shiny things on the ends of the handlebars held on by one screw in the center). As for the front rack, I had one that was not OEM (either Cuppini or Faco) that did not require any drilling and took maybe 15 minutes to install. However, I found very little utility in having the rack on the scoot because I never used it (could carry everything I needed in the pet carrier and the top case). So, in my case, all it added was weight, so I removed it. Try using the scoot for a while with just the top case and see if you really need the front rack on a regular basis.
Ossessionato
Location: Not really sure but I think somewhere down South, in the engineering dept at Starfleet's UK HQ
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:38 pm quote
Michele, bear in mind that if you ride to a garage to inflate your tyres this will warm them up. It means if you set the pressures to the 26 & 29 cold settings with the tyres warm your tyres will still be under inflated when your tyres cool down. Therefore, you will need very slightly higher pressures with the tyres warm. So for example, set the rear tyre to somewhere in the.region of 32psi. When the tyre cools it'll be somewhere around 29psi. The front, set maybe to around 28psi. When cold this will reduce to around 26psi. The front tyre doesn't get as warm as the rear tyre. Or just air them both up a bit more than that and check them again the following morning when they are cold, letting some air out to get the right pressure. The Vespas are sensitive to tyre pressures.

Regarding engine coolant. Just be careful to get the correct OAT based coolant. Colour is not necessarily indicative of the correct coolant type. Claims by some manufacturers that there coolant will mix with whatever you already have in your bike is not always correct either. This side of the pond I always use a product made by Comma. It is red in colour but more importantly it meets the standards laid down in your owners handbook for engine coolant. I don't think it's available in the States. Bear in mind many car coolants don't meet the standards required by your bike and don't mix. They have stuff in them that is harmful to your engine.

You can ask your Vespa dealers over there or no doubt some of the guys and girls closer to you can advise you what to top up with. Of course if you are very low on coolant and you are worried about riding to the store to buy your coolant you could top up a small amount with distilled water, not tap water. Don't fill to to the full line though, you need some room for some new coolant to be added. The ratio of coolant to water is 50/50. So doing this will of course slightly dilute your coolant but then if you buy a coolant in concentrated form (not a premixed coolant) you can top up with the same amount of neat coolant to make the mixture right again. In case you don't know, a premixed coolant is coolant that is already mixed with distilled water. Concentrated coolant is one you have to mix water with yourself. The advantage of concentrate is that you can adjust the ratio of coolant to water. So if some one has had to top up with distilled water, you can add neat coolant to get back to the proper coolant water ratio.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 HPE
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 pm quote
Rob - Thank you for the heads up on the kobalt. I have ordered one.

Griffin -- good idea. I have been thinking that since i want to do grocery shopping I want the top case for helmet when i'm in the store and for 1-2 bags when i'm in transit, the leg clip for no more than 2 bags in transit, and a bag like the piaggio leather bag (but not that one! too spendy!) on the front for any additional bags of groceries. I do tend to buy groceries in sets of bags of 6-8 bags. I can probably learn to buy fewer bags over more frequent trips.

Strom -- i read all the posts in two or more threads about nitrite and phosphate free OAT not HOAT or other flavors of something-oat coolants so I think I have an idea now. I have identified now three sources for suitable coolants and the best price is the local supply store i went to today. With the helpful guy showing me the bottle I didn't get a good enough look to see that it was officially an "extended life OAT" or "nitrite, silicate, phosphate, and something else free" coolant. But online I was able to read the label very closely so I now know I can go buy that one tomorrow. That's the Prestone Command, which comes both in a concentrate and a 50/50. Meanwhile, I hadn't thought of the difference in psi between warm and cold tires so I will measure the tires again tomorrow when they are cold and see where I stand, and I'll wait till the Kobalt tire inflator comes to mess around with psi.
Ossessionato
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:16 am quote
Excellent! Looks like you are learning fast. Let us all know how you are getting on with your bike as time goes by.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 HPE
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:00 pm quote
Gratuitous Vespage
This is my new baby.

IMG_20190829_104219.jpg

GTS 300 Super Sport ('18)
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:19 pm quote
Beautiful, Michele! Love the matte finish! Look forward to seeing the mods you're talking about!
Hooked
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:39 pm quote
Lovely bike! Looks great. Whereís your mirrors?
Enthusiast
GTS 300 HPE
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:10 pm quote
Had to take off the mirrors to fit my baby into the van to take 'er home. Here's a pic before taking them off, still in the dealer lot.

IMG_20190828_161417(1).jpg

Ossessionato
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:50 am quote
Wow, love the colour!
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:22 am quote
Michele, I can't tell if it's the lighting or my computer screen, but that comes off as "Robin's Egg Blue" on my screen. Is it the matte gray?
Hooked
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:42 am quote
sisterdelirious wrote:
Had to take off the mirrors to fit my baby into the van to take 'er home. Here's a pic before taking them off, still in the dealer lot.
Aha. Did you put them back on yet or have you been riding without mirrors?
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:44 am quote
"With a top case you should install heavier bar ends. Otherwise the front can lift a bit and give you a drifting feeling."

Newb question on this point. I'm just mounting the FACO fold down rear rack (about 5 lbs) and the SIPI Rear Roll bag (maybe 1 lbs, empty) on the rear of my GTS 300.

At what point do I need to consider heavier bar ends? I don't envision loading up the bag that often or with that much stuff (mainly errand running/groceries that I'd like to keep concealed), but is there an approximate weight load on that rear assembly that would necessitate heavier bar ends?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:29 am quote
ESquared wrote:
"With a top case you should install heavier bar ends. Otherwise the front can lift a bit and give you a drifting feeling."

Newb question on this point. I'm just mounting the FACO fold down rear rack (about 5 lbs) and the SIPI Rear Roll bag (maybe 1 lbs, empty) on the rear of my GTS 300.

At what point do I need to consider heavier bar ends? I don't envision loading up the bag that often or with that much stuff (mainly errand running/groceries that I'd like to keep concealed), but is there an approximate weight load on that rear assembly that would necessitate heavier bar ends?
Hmm. Good question. Just shooting from the hip here, but I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you're experiencing wobble and have sorted out all of the other issues, such as tire pressure. Topcases have an overhang, with more weight extending backwards, which affects the balance equation. If you're occasionally running heavier loads on the back, probably not going to be an issue. I'd take a wait and see approach.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 HPE
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:40 pm quote
ESquared wrote:
Michele, I can't tell if it's the lighting or my computer screen, but that comes off as "Robin's Egg Blue" on my screen. Is it the matte gray?
No, actually its the Verdi Relax, which is closest to the color of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream (without the chips)

Thank you, Strom -- I'm pretty much in love with it.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 HPE
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:42 pm quote
rob g wrote:
Aha. Did you put them back on yet or have you been riding without mirrors?
It took some doing to get the left one going, but they are both back on and I'm riding safely WITH mirrors.
2008 Vespa S150 Dragon Red
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:46 am quote
Learning a lot from this thread!
Also, this is the ride I am looking to buy, probably in the spring, so doubly enthusiastic. I know nothing about coolant, having only had my air-cooled 150.

Regarding tire pressures, iíve been using a bicycle pump with a built in gauge for many years, works well. The power unit sounds nice, but itís another thing to store, and we already had the bicycle pump.
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:52 am quote
sisterdelirious wrote:
ESquared wrote:
No, actually its the Verdi Relax, which is closest to the color of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream (without the chips)

Thank you, Strom -- I'm pretty much in love with it.
Translated: "Green Relaxation"

Seems appropriate!
Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:13 am quote
coolant
I buy this at the local auto-parts store for my GTS.

https://peakauto.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/PEAK-OET-Euro-Spec-Sheet_Pink-080917.pdf
Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:04 am quote
Susanology wrote:
Learning a lot from this thread!
Also, this is the ride I am looking to buy, probably in the spring, so doubly enthusiastic. I know nothing about coolant, having only had my air-cooled 150.

Regarding tire pressures, iíve been using a bicycle pump with a built in gauge for many years, works well. The power unit sounds nice, but itís another thing to store, and we already had the bicycle pump.
I used a bicycle pump on both of my Vespas as well. No problems. I got a powered inflator for the BV350 because the tires are much larger. Also use in on my car as well.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 HPE
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:03 pm quote
Ok so for an update, I contacted my dealer and finagled a bottle each of antifreeze and oil to be sent along with my license plate, which was ready.

Put the (almost transparent green) antifreeze in... at first too much, then removed some with a paper towel to discover that even with a flashlight there is no way to tell how much antifreeze is in there so... I'm at a loss. Don;t know if I have too much, too little, or just enough. So my new new plan is to hunt down some nitrite/sulfate free OAT Pink antifreeze. Which seems to not be so easy to find.

The Kobalt tire inflater came, it's a breeze to operate, and my tires are now properly inflated. i haven't had occasion to get beyond about 40mph yet so do not know if this has corrected my notwobble problem but will keep you posted.

Now... to figure out the oil situation.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3199s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0460s) ][ Debug on ]