OP
@finn avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa Primavera 150 (2019)/Mp3 Sport 500 HPE (2019)

Enthusiast
@finn avatar
UTC quote
Drove 90 miles round trip. Was going to a dentist by my Wife's office so I decided to ride.

I hit a bunch of stop and go traffic on the way up (Rush Hour) and the people on the Garden State Parkway I swear are trying to kill you.

But all in all a good ride. I did notice I seem to go through a lot of gas. i'd be surprised if I got 40 mpg
MP3 in Montville NJ
MP3 in Montville NJ
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
hell that not even long enough for a good lunch ride.

for me a bakery ride is 200 mile loop.
OP
@finn avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@finn avatar
UTC quote
I am still new to this. Most of my rides have been local around the shore area in Jersey.

Working up to bigger longer rides.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Finn wrote:
I am still new to this. Most of my rides have been local around the shore area in Jersey.

Good luck and keep at it. Yeah 90 miles is nothing especially with a CVT... But a good starting point. A good test is to just go out for a good ride until you almost run out of gas then fill up and turn around. It's pretty much what I do with new bikes to get used to them. 500 CC's should give you plenty of power to move with the freeway crowd. Hell I just did the freeway for 2 hours today in a 750CC Russian sidecar rig and I can guarantee your bike is faster and handles better...
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
I notice your bike is a 2019 so it's probably still not broken in properly. You may know, but your engine will still be 'tight' and won't give it's best mpg or power just yet. It takes around 5-10k miles (depending on how it's ridden) before it's properly conformed, that's the process that occurs after the initial break in period. So don't worry about gas mileage just yet. It'll be fine.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
Finn wrote:

Good to see you getting out and riding, the more you ride the more you will want to ride!

As for the car drivers being out to get you just keep that in mind and watch out.

Besides may dad always said the cars with Jersey plate on them were the ones to keep an eye one up here in Central NY!
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
Sounds great, Finn!

Stop-and-go freeway riding is rough on mileage. During the "stop" part you are getting zero miles to the gallon. It's too bad you can't split lanes in New Jersey.
OP
@finn avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@finn avatar
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:
Sounds great, Finn!

Stop-and-go freeway riding is rough on mileage. During the "stop" part you are getting zero miles to the gallon. It's too bad you can't split lanes in New Jersey.
Cars seem to think they can split lanes. But that is a different story.
UTC

2023 Piaggio MP3 530

2023 Piaggio MP3 530
UTC quote
miss lane-sharing...
My first two fill-ups on my MP3 500 sport hpe have come out to 55 mpg, as advertised. This is doing street stop and go plus regional highways to 65 mph. I have not yet done the extended interstate driving I plan to do in the future since the engine is still being broken in and going 80 mph for ~20 miles is probably not the best choice. I may try that once before the first service and oil change at ~650 miles, just to check for other issues. I ride to spice up my long commute, so I typically drive or ride about 75 miles per day.

I had my first MP3 and put most of its miles on in it CA. I miss lane sharing so much in the midwest, I almost didn't get another ride. I wish it were legal everywhere.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Re: miss lane-sharing...
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
My first two fill-ups on my MP3 500 sport hpe have come out to 55 mpg, as advertised. This is doing street stop and go plus regional highways to 65 mph. I have not yet done the extended interstate driving I plan to do in the future since the engine is still being broken in and going 80 mph for ~20 miles is probably not the best choice. I may try that once before the first service and oil change at ~650 miles, just to check for other issues. I ride to spice up my long commute, so I typically drive or ride about 75 miles per day.

I had my first MP3 and put most of its miles on in it CA. I miss lane sharing so much in the midwest, I almost didn't get another ride. I wish it were legal everywhere.
you can throttle it up to 80+ just don't hold it there, keep the speed variable at any speed for the first couple hundred miles, run it up and down.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
San Diego to Twenty Nine Palms and back. Left at 5am got home at 9pm. 550mile day.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
14perry wrote:
San Diego to Twenty Nine Palms and back. Left at 5am got home at 9pm. 550mile day.
that's a good days ride, plus
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0741s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0468s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]