OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
On a club ride last fall, a few of us were talking about the adjustable suspension pre-load on a GT. I opened the glove box, we looked at the tools, and I demonstrated how to use the tool and where to find the instructions (owner's manual). Several riders said they didn't know the pre-load was adjustable, and others didn't know about the tools. Some commented that they wished their dealer had showed them these things, or that they had taken more time to read the manual.

At our planning meeting, it was suggested that we put on a seminar in cooperation with the Vespa shop, sort of a Scooterology 101, meet-the-mechanic, learn-about-your-scooter thing. The idea is that it's safer and more fun to ride if you know a few things about your scooter. It's planned for April 8, see the first item listed under "Rides For 2006" at

http://www.sqream.net/sqream/NewRides.html

I thought it was a great idea and worth sharing in case others want to do something like this in their area. Thanks to Summer and Carol for coming up with this creative idea and making it happen.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
That's an awesome idea, Bzzzz. I think I'll talk to my dealer about doing something like that when the weather gets a little warmer.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
Re: Scooter Shop Talk Seminar
Bzzz wrote:
At our planning meeting, it was suggested that we put on a seminar in cooperation with the Vespa shop, sort of a Scooterology 101, meet-the-mechanic, learn-about-your-scooter thing. The idea is that it's safer and more fun to ride if you know a few things about your scooter.
A great idea!

When I bought my Saturn, the local dealership offered a catered session one evening that first month when new owners could look around, have some food and drink, and meet the mechanics. Then the mechanics showed all of the routine maintenance items on the car. Some of it was obvious (how to change the oil) and some of it wasn't (where do you take your old oil now that it is out of the car?). A pretty enjoyable evening. I am not plugging Saturn (and I now own a Honda instead), but what you are describing sounds similar. I only wish my dealer had offered something similar. It is also a great way for the owner to begin a relationship with the service department.
@gjco avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT 200-His, LX150-Hers, Road King-Ours

Hooked
@gjco avatar
GT 200-His, LX150-Hers, Road King-Ours
UTC quote
Great Idea Bzzz! You might also want to mention this to John at Erico. This is something that he should know - his sales people should be going over this when a new bike is purchased. It's called customer service! This was one of my biggest complaints when I bought mine there.

Cheers,
Craig
@mone avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 Vespa 200 GT

Hooked
@mone avatar
2006 Vespa 200 GT
UTC quote
Is there something like that in Toronto?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Quote:
adjustable suspension pre-load
Just quickly, can someone please explain what this is? I think it's something my bike doesn't have, but that can really make a big difference in ride quality?
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Packa wrote:
Quote:
adjustable suspension pre-load
Just quickly, can someone please explain what this is? I think it's something my bike doesn't have, but that can really make a big difference in ride quality?
Packa on most bikes it is on the rear shocks. It can be a nut/cylinder type device or other. I am not a tech wizzard but if the Majasty has it you should be able to tell by looking on rear shocks. Some units require a tool to adjust (Vespa GT) and by increasing the tension you stiffen the ride up. If you are a big guy, like me, this can help to smooth the bumps out. When I got the bike it was set at the lowest setting, and I bottomed out alot. I now have it on the second setting, do not bottom out as much. I probably need to moove it on up to the 3rd setting and try it out.

Now as you move the tension up and ride gets stiffer I would think that maybe your feel of the road, curves, etc also changes. This may be good maybe not? I am sure someone with better knowledge than me can help better. Let us know what you find, Beale.
@bill_of_ojai avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300 Super

Hooked
@bill_of_ojai avatar
GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Suspension Preload
Preload, front or back, regulates ride height. You adjust it to the weight of the rider and passenger (if there is one). More weight, use more preload.

Cranking up preload with a light cargo load will change the bike's steering geomoetry, making it steer more quickly. Also get roughg ride.

I weigh 250 and use the second preload setting from lightest on my GT. If I had a passenger, I might crank it up another notch ot two.

Hope this helps.
@smorgasbord avatar
UTC

Hooked
X-9 500 Evo, GT200

Hooked
@smorgasbord avatar
X-9 500 Evo, GT200
UTC quote
Some good practical info above, but if you're technically curious, here's what's going on:

The geometry of a typical bike coil spring/shock unit is such that the spring pushes against two plates, one attached to each mounting anchor. The spring is always in compression, essentially pushing the anchors apart. The adjustment mechanism moves one plate closer/further from the other plate, changing the amount of compression applied to the spring at any given anchor distance.

Spring rates are generally linear (Hooke's law), which simply means that the amount a spring compresses is proportional to the force applied. If a spring compresses a 1/4" when 25 lbs is applied, then applying 100 lbs would compress the spring a full inch. If you increase the preload on that spring a half inch, applying up to 50 more lbs of force won't move the anchors closer to each other.

If a preload setting is great for a 150 lbs rider, then you'd want to compress that spring (assuming only one is on the bike) another 1/4" for a 175 lbs rider - that way they'd both be at the same ride height. As Bill says, ride height is important because it affects the bike's riding geometry.

But, another thing preload does is change where the statically loaded midpoint of the shock is. Ideally, you want to set the preload so that while riding you never hit the stops at either end. Furthermore, you want your normal "at speed" position to be at the ideal ride height for your bike's geometry. Racing motorcycle suspensions have all sorts of adjustments to enable you to achieve both criteria at the same time, based on your weight, riding style, and the track you're riding.

Maxis in particular almost always have rear preload adjustments, perhaps because they're sold as being very capable of carrying loads and/or passengers. All the Maxis I've seen from Suzuki, Honda, Piaggio, and Kymco have preload adjustments - the Majesty may be the lone exception here.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0730s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0427s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]