Model introductions - how the heck does this work?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Member
2008 Vespa S150 Dragon Red
Joined: 28 Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Location: Toronto
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:24 am quote
I decided it’s time for a new scoot, to replaced my current 2008 S150.

Vespa shows 2020 models on their corporate site, and there are reviews from all the usual places with video of actual 2020 scooters. All good.
But when I look at my local dealers, they are still offering 2018 inventory.

So, is this just a question of needing to order one for later delivery? Or is there some typical industry timing thing that I just don’t know about?

Guess I could just call my dealer, but George is a very persuasive individual, and I want to have my ducks in a row before I talk to him.

Thanks for the help all!
Ossessionato
Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 4387
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:25 am quote
They are offering the 2018s because they have not sold and the owner needs to get them out of the store. Unless you are stuck on the idea of getting a 2020, they should give you a very good price on the leftovers. But it is your money, and if it's a 2020 model that you want, then that's exactly what you should get.
Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
Joined: 08 Sep 2019
Posts: 108
Location: Washington State, USA
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:41 pm quote
I just bought mine, and I tried both the 2018 GTS 300 and the 2020 GTS 300 HPE. i went with the HPE -- very peppy! imho worth the wait if you need to order it...
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super Sport ('18)
Joined: 13 Sep 2019
Posts: 71
Location: KC Area
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:33 pm quote
Yep, depending on the part of the country, dealers seem to have some '18s and '19s left. Got a nice deal on my '18 (I think!), but I was looking for a friend of mine who lives in New Orleans, and their dealer's website showed hardly any inventory at all, of any model, any year.

I can't even find the HPE on the Vespa.com site, but maybe I just don't know where to look. Sounds like a nice power boost, from what I've read.

There's not exactly a shop on every corner, so unless you're willing to travel to shop, it may be a case of what you see is what you get unless you're willing to wait it out.

Even though there are some '20s to be had, my local dealer (here in KC) was telling me that the flow of bikes from Italy really doesn't start until late Q1 of the model year in question. Can't vouch for that being the case everywhere, but it seems to be the case here.

Happy shopping!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 39015
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:31 am quote
ESquared wrote:
Yep, depending on the part of the country, dealers seem to have some '18s and '19s left. Got a nice deal on my '18 (I think!), but I was looking for a friend of mine who lives in New Orleans, and their dealer's website showed hardly any inventory at all, of any model, any year.

I can't even find the HPE on the Vespa.com site, but maybe I just don't know where to look. Sounds like a nice power boost, from what I've read.

There's not exactly a shop on every corner, so unless you're willing to travel to shop, it may be a case of what you see is what you get unless you're willing to wait it out.

Even though there are some '20s to be had, my local dealer (here in KC) was telling me that the flow of bikes from Italy really doesn't start until late Q1 of the model year in question. Can't vouch for that being the case everywhere, but it seems to be the case here.

Happy shopping!
The US 'model year' scooters have their own separate production run - all at once. The differences from the rest of the world models in order to meet DOT and EPA standards are significant enough to mandate this.

So if 2020 HPE models are available from one dealer, they should be available from any other US dealer who has ordered some.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super Sport ('18)
Joined: 13 Sep 2019
Posts: 71
Location: KC Area
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:28 am quote
What a daunting manufacturing scenario that must be! How to sort out/estimate production based on models, trim levels, colors? Yikes! Good to know, though, thanks for the insight!
Member
2008 Vespa S150 Dragon Red
Joined: 28 Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Location: Toronto
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:54 am quote
This is all very helpful, thanks!
Based in Canada, so our delivery cycles probably match USA. We typically have fewer models depending on the brand. So I may have to order and wait.

I guess I am thinking, even though mileage is low, the rubber is still aging while the bike is sitting there in the showroom. Is that a legitimate concern?

Thanks all.
Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Posts: 277
Location: Houston
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:57 am quote
Susanology wrote:
I guess I am thinking, even though mileage is low, the rubber is still aging while the bike is sitting there in the showroom. Is that a legitimate concern?

Thanks all.
Not sure I’d worry about 1-2 years of age on tires if they’re on a dealer showroom, inside out of the sun and heat. I’d be more concerned for the bike overall if it’s been sitting outside. Even if the tires needed replacing, which I HIGHLY doubt, the cost of 2 tires is a fraction of what you would have saved.

Those 2020s are really pretty though. Buy right the first time so you never have regrets.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super Sport ('18)
Joined: 13 Sep 2019
Posts: 71
Location: KC Area
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:59 am quote
Susanology wrote:
This is all very helpful, thanks!
Based in Canada, so our delivery cycles probably match USA. We typically have fewer models depending on the brand. So I may have to order and wait.

I guess I am thinking, even though mileage is low, the rubber is still aging while the bike is sitting there in the showroom. Is that a legitimate concern?

Thanks all.
The rubber would be the least of my worries (and didn't even occur to me last week when I did my deal on mine last week); so, IF they've got what you want (now), and IF the deal is right and you'd rather NOT wait then the path seems open. Any of those variables showing a red flag is a deal-killer.

Tires are cheap vs. saving a thousand bucks (or so) on a leftover new model with full warranty.

And, I recently read an article (Forbes, maybe?) revealing that Vespa's hold their value better than any motorized vehicle (of any type/brand), period. so depreciation isn't that big a deal, either.

Last edited by ESquared on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(45,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(10,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(30,000)
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 2513
Location: Orange Park Florida
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:26 am quote
Unless you're a Vespa rider wannabe, you'll wear those tires out way before they age out
Member
2008 Vespa S150 Dragon Red
Joined: 28 Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Location: Toronto
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:00 pm quote
Tires do age out, actually.
Although I’ve been riding since 2008, I don’t put that many miles on, and so replaced tires two years ago even though they did not look very worn. (and the new Pirelli’s are terrific, have been great in rain, on gravel, in mud even.)

Tire manufacturers and others recommend replacement Between 6 and 10 years regardless of wear level. Here’s one article on the topic.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html
Quote:
These incidents illustrate the potential danger of buying used tires and the perils of driving on aging tires — including those that have never spent a day on the road. The rubber compounds in a tire deteriorate with time, regardless of the condition of the tread.
Not unreasonable to think that other rubber parts, or parts under strain such as a belt, are aging even if the scoot is not on the road.

BTW, Calling anyone on this forum a “wannabe” is pretty seriously rude.
Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Posts: 277
Location: Houston
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:17 pm quote
Susanology wrote:
BTW, Calling anyone on this forum a “wannabe” is pretty seriously rude.
Don’t think he was doing that. More like making a point that there IS such a thing as a Vespa wannabe. An example would be the 13yo GT200 I bought last year with 523 miles. We all know you’re enthusiastic and you’re gonna ride...wouldn’t be here and so active otherwise
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super Sport ('18)
Joined: 13 Sep 2019
Posts: 71
Location: KC Area
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:57 pm quote
I still wouldn't let it stand in the way of buying a 2018 model, if everything else about it is right.

But that's just me (obviously, since I just did it)!

Keep us posted!
Member
2008 Vespa S150 Dragon Red
Joined: 28 Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Location: Toronto
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:59 pm quote
Hey rob g thanks for the calm-down thoughts.

And all the good ideas appreciated. Going to take the Baby Dragon in for annual service this week probably, and will start serious discussions with my dealer. I think i’m really hungering for the HPE, so that will probably be an important consideration in the choice in the end.

Probably does not make much sense to buy a new one this late in the year, since I rarely ride far into October. I will keep y’all posted! (LOVE this forum!)
Ossessionato
Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 4387
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:28 pm quote
Susanology wrote:
Probably does not make much sense to buy a new one this late in the year, since I rarely ride far into October. I will keep y’all posted! (LOVE this forum!)
I think it makes a lot of sense. Winter is the best time to buy, especially after the holidays.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1734s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0335s) ][ Debug on ]