Giallo Gelosia GTS 300 Mods Project
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Enthusiast
GTS 300 Super Sport ('18)
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:27 am quote
Thought it might be helpful to some of the other newbs on board here to share a couple of fairly typical (I'm guessing) mods that might be fitting for a GTS 300. Mine's a leftover 2018, took delivery about a week ago and will start here with the "before" pics, which also allows me to test out my photo resizer app, as I've never had to use one.

I"m guessing most of you know what a stock version of what we're dealing with looks like, but here she is, at the dealer after my test drive, and looking forlorn in my garage shortly after delivery, watching it rain...

More pics to come today/tomorrow...

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

Hooked
300 super sport Full Malossi and carbon Edition
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:04 pm quote
Welcome,this is mine 300 ss

023F7F56-520B-48F1-B2AF-5C7AED70FC80.jpeg

Enthusiast
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:59 pm quote
335Rick wrote:
Welcome,this is mine 300 ss
Beautiful! Love the black trim. Am headed in that direction, as today's little project will show.
Enthusiast
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:14 pm quote
Today's project was the FACO folding rear rack, flat black.

First, it you don't have a TORX screwdriver set, I'd recommend getting one.

It's not just a matter of unbolting the factory grab bar and swapping in the new one.

Raise seat, remove pet carrier and you'll see you need to remove the four bolts that hold the gas cap housing. The OEM rack is bolted underneath that plastic insert. TORX #30, if I recall. Also have remove the little rubber boot that sits on the end of the fuel intake nozzle, underneath the gas cap. Also need to remove the chrome (plastic) cover, where the last two bolts holding the OEM rack in place reside.

Installation of the FACO was not exactly plug and play. There's a fair amount of tweaking to get the holes to line up, and steel tubing of this gauge doesn't tweak so easily, especially when you're lining up the plastic cover, with the new grab bar/rack underneath.

But, with enough jiggering and swearing, it all went back together.

The yellow milk crate was a decent enough idea in my head. Thought it would be kinda cool and campy, but ended up looking cheesy and third-worldly, in my opinion. Will await the top bag (black with the "Classic" embroidery) that is on its way from SIP and was at the Paris airport the last time I checked. They said it would be here today, but I have my doubts.

Far from finished, but it's a start. Happy to post more pics and/or answer questions, so fire away!

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:19 pm quote
Looking good. Starting to take on a personality.
Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:40 am quote
I am impressed! The black looks good with the giallo gelosia...
Enthusiast
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:23 pm quote
Thanks for that!

Tonight, I got the FACO twin shield installed. MUCH easier than the rack (at least for me).

Strongly recommend watching/taking notes on this vid from Robot:

Took a lot of digging just to find it (at least for me!), but it's a big help.
Pre-assembly of the pieces and parts is key, especially the upper screen. Paying attention to which way the spacers face is also key, but he makes it clear.

Will take pics tomorrow when the light is better, although lots of rain in the forecast for here in KC. At least it won't just be "garage light"!
Enthusiast
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:25 pm quote
Sorry, the video placement and playback is wonky on my machine. The YouTube ID is:

v=4OIUFUme90o
Enthusiast
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:41 pm quote
Rainy day today, so no test rides to see how the twin windshield does at different heights, but here are a couple of pics.

Shield is about halfway up.

It's odd, but in person, everything looks lined up and even, but the pics seem to make things look a little wonky.

Might just be the angle, the fact that the front wheel isn't exactly on-center, I dunno. Anyway, the dog approves!

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:43 pm quote
Looking pretty spiffy!!!
Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS 300 Super
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:40 pm quote
GTS 300 Mods
I too took delivery of 2018 GTS 300 Super. So far; fly screen, Remus dual.

CD1B78DB-0A31-452B-B2C9-C9CD810E575A.jpeg

Enthusiast
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:43 pm quote
Re: GTS 300 Mods
labphoto wrote:
Very cool, congrats! What's your assessment of the exhaust? Looks nice!
Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS 300 Super
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:30 pm quote
I see a definite increase in torque and I love the sound. Looks pretty good to me too
ESquared wrote:
labphoto wrote:
Very cool, congrats! What's your assessment of the exhaust? Looks nice!
Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:43 pm quote
labphoto wrote:
That Remus is looking mighty fine. Don't do that again. Now I have something new to add to my list. Does it add speed or just torque? or is that essentiallyl the same thing? (I'm not mechanically inclined)
Enthusiast
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:15 am quote
Got a quick road trip in this morning at three different screen heights on the Twin Screen, so figured I'd give it a quick review.

First, I'm 6'5", so take all of what's to come with that in mind.

Second, I've been through enough bike/windshield combinations to understand that no windshield in the world is going to eliminate some degree of wind getting to me, especially my head (see "First", above).

With the adjustable screen at its lowest level, it almost seemed like it channeled the wind between the two screens and into my torso, but not in a crazy, distracting way. Today it was mid-60s, so it was a cool breeze, but I could see how this would be a bonus in some hot summer weather. Wind to my head and shoulders was just about the same as no shield, but that wasn't that surprising.

With the movable screen about half-way up, it seemed to move the incoming air right at my neck, but so much of his boils down to how long your torso is relative to the shield, doesn't it?

For me, with the twin fully extended, the top edge of the shield is about even with my chin or just slightly below, meaning I'm still getting head-wind (so to speak). BUT, and no surprise (I guess), what this (and almost any medium sized) windshield is doing is taking all that wind off of your chest and arms. While you may be getting some air to your head, at least your body isn't acting as a sail, if that makes sense.

So, all in all, this is a keeper. It makes for a more comfortable experience overall, and, for those of you with more normal bodily dimensions, I'm sure you're likely to find a "setting" that gives you the right combination of cooling airflow and decent protection.

YMMV, and this was worth exactly what you paid for it, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:56 am quote
6'5"?!? who made you?

Just kidding. It sounds like its working out nice for you. From that article someone posted about windshields and other things I've found, it seems like the ideal is avoiding having the air hit you in the face, which you are doing.

I am 5'9, and with six inches spare I think the dimensions work for that airflow so I'm guessing this shield will work for me too. I think I'm going to go ahead with it.

Thank you for your review!
Enthusiast
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:29 am quote
I believe this will work out well for you. The biggest difference to me is not having all the wind catch in my chest and turbulate (if that's a word) from there. For the kind of riding (speeds and distances) I anticipate doing, this is going to work out fine for me and the adjustable design is a definite plus.
Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:32 pm quote
ESquared wrote:
I believe this will work out well for you. The biggest difference to me is not having all the wind catch in my chest and turbulate (if that's a word) from there. For the kind of riding (speeds and distances) I anticipate doing, this is going to work out fine for me and the adjustable design is a definite plus.
What kind of riding is that? I've been ideating long rides through the mountains the last few days, but I bought the bike with the intent for maybe once weekly hourlong commutes (each way) to my nearest city so I'm hoping for the windshield to make riding 70-75 mph speeds for that length of time reasonably doable. After a recent backroads trip in the other direction with 1.5 hours each way of 40-60 mph I realized that 60 mph without a windshield is problematic and 70 mph without a windshield very unlikely to be something I'd do period, let alone weekly.

I'm hoping that the windshield makes it so comfortable that I don't think about it let alone overthink it. A little buffeting around the head would be ok. Feeling like the wind is going to take me off the bike, or take the bike off the road, or take the handlebars in a direction i don't intend... obviously "not ideal".

Anyway, I'm hoping my ideas about a windshield are not unfounded.
Enthusiast
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:46 pm quote
The kind of riding I envision enjoying the most with this vehicle is around town, likely under 60 mph 80+% of the time. There aren't many mountain twisties in the KC area, and I envy the terrain you will be able to tackle.

There is no doubt that a decent sized windshield will make your riding more enjoyable at higher speeds and for longer distances. Whether or not THIS windshield is the best one for what you're wanting to do is beyond my experience with either Vespas or this particular product. I firmly believe it will suit my needs, but yours sound different; then again, we're built differently. Too many variables? Probably.

I seem to remember reading (when researching windshields for some past bike I've owned) that an ideal height for a windshield is where the top of the windshield is right about eye level. Whether or not that still holds true or is true of the aerodynamics of a Vespa is, again, beyond my experience level.

I have learned here in a short time, however, that too big a windshield can have a sail effect that is unsettling and that doesn't sound like fun, either.

My advice is to not take any more advice from me on this purchase. I'd say you're better off starting a thread here seeking advice from owners who have experience with 300s and different shields and/or giving the nice folks at (at least) one of the bigger online shops a ring and ask them for some input. No doubt they've sold (and had returned) LOTS of windshields and have learned from that, not to mention that they're all avid riders.

Just based on all the Vespa shields I've seen and read about, maybe you'd be better off with one that is a bit wider and one piece and of "medium" height. Then again, maybe the variability and adjustability of this shield would be great. But these are "maybes" you can't take to the bank, I'm afraid.

In other words, I don't know what I don't know, but others will help you, I"m sure!
Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:09 pm quote
Good idea.
Done!
Lurker
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:25 am quote
I just wanted to say that yours is the exact Vespa that made me want to get one. I sat on it at Renos a few months back and actually decided I wanted to trade my R1 off for a Supertech lol. Youre treating it good.
Enthusiast
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:17 am quote
PsychoTeddy wrote:
I just wanted to say that yours is the exact Vespa that made me want to get one. I sat on it at Renos a few months back and actually decided I wanted to trade my R1 off for a Supertech lol. Youre treating it good.
Well, that's a great first post, and thanks for sharing! I have to say that I had no interest in any shade of yellow Vespa until I saw this one, and the test ride made it a "don't look back" moment. Had to have it!

What's not clear from your post is whether or not you did the deal on your Supertech? Are you an owner yet?
Lurker
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:52 am quote
ESquared wrote:
PsychoTeddy wrote:
Well, that's a great first post, and thanks for sharing! I have to say that I had no interest in any shade of yellow Vespa until I saw this one, and the test ride made it a "don't look back" moment. Had to have it!

What's not clear from your post is whether or not you did the deal on your Supertech? Are you an owner yet?
Thanks, I loved the matte yellow myself. I do wish they made a matte red.

Not yet I havent rode my R1 in months, just have been so busy with my car and work. Renos has a 2020 Supertech I was looking at, but i cant seem to make that jump yet.
Hooked
300 super sport Full Malossi and carbon Edition
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:32 pm quote
Special for you Psycho

2CB95393-CE52-4A85-9C67-37B32B9D3305.jpeg

Enthusiast
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:59 pm quote
335Rick wrote:
Special for you Psycho
Wow, that's a beauty! Really like the seat, as I've decided the OEM perch and my frame size aren't exactly compatible. Is the what they refer to as the "Euro Solo Seat," now sold here as this one:

https://www.scooterwest.com/euro-low-profile-gel-solo-seat-vespa-gts-abs.html

?

Since last post, I finally got my top-bag from SIP; it spent a nice long weekend at the Paris airport, courtesy of some FedEx "backlog." Easy install, very stable and quite roomy, so will serve me well with supermarket runs and such.

On the "off-bike" side, am also very happy with the Corazzo 6.0 jacket and the AGV helmet (from MotoCard in Spain - super quick shipment!).

Once I get the seat sorted out, I think I'll be set for a while. Sure hope so!

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:36 pm quote
That bag is looking very snazzy. Definitely an improvement over the yellow crate.

How does it attach?
Enthusiast
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:42 am quote
sisterdelirious wrote:
That bag is looking very snazzy. Definitely an improvement over the yellow crate.

How does it attach?
Yeah, the yellow crate was a good concept that turned out to be difficult to execute.

Attachments are with a series of quick-release straps. Will snap some photos and post later today.

Snazzy bag comes with a nice snazzy cover, too!
Enthusiast
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:49 am quote
Here are the attachment points for the top-bag. First pic is looking toward the rear of the bike, showing 3 attachments to the upright part of the rear rack. One big strap in the middle, one on each side.

The bottom pic is looking from the back, to the front and sort of underneath the rear rack, two major straps holding it down. All quick release fasteners, but once you wrap the excess strapping around the rack's bar(s) here and there, it's not exactly a one-minute dismount.

Not bad though. Worked out great for a quick trip to Bed Bath & Beyond for some HH items. By the way, their $9.99 neck/travel pillows make great helmet cushions for when you need to turn it upside down for cleaning and/or removing pieces and parts.

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:15 pm quote
damn. that is a good bag. i bought myself a red leather yelcome bag from ebay that is very snazzy looking but I'm underwhelmed by how it connects (or will connect, when i get around to buying a front rack) to the bike. it has a 2-3" strap attached to the back and a free buckle strap that i am assuming is meant to loop through that and around some portion of rack. Very, very flimsy.
Enthusiast
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:42 pm quote
I'm very happy with it, thanks for the kudo!

Just FYI, in addition to the size of the one I picked up, which is about 18" across, they also do a smaller one, about 13" across.

I found them hard to find online in the U.S. of A., and very expensive when I did. So, I took the plunge with SIP. Very prompt and no issues, save the nice weekend it spent in Paris.

Anyway, here's the small(er) one:

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/bagcase+sip+classic+small+_40010230
GTS 300 Super
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:43 pm quote
ESquared wrote:
335Rick wrote:
Special for you Psycho
Wow, that's a beauty! Really like the seat, as I've decided the OEM perch and my frame size aren't exactly compatible. Is the what they refer to as the "Euro Solo Seat," now sold here as this one:

Once I get the seat sorted out, I think I'll be set for a while. Sure hope so!
Im just under you at 63 and found no standard seat would fit, so I made my own. Wanted to keep the oem seat so I found a used seat, removed the cover and shaved the foam to as near flat as I could get it. Then added a Cheeky seat cover on top. This all gave me a little extra height and a flat seat to move around on. Consider this as a possible direction.

Not a great pic but this should give you an idea of the end result.

7BAC7B5D-4F28-4F9A-BEEC-A879423FE839.jpeg

Enthusiast
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:35 am quote
Travman wrote:
Im just under you at 63 and found no standard seat would fit, so I made my own. Wanted to keep the oem seat so I found a used seat, removed the cover and shaved the foam to as near flat as I could get it. Then added a Cheeky seat cover on top. This all gave me a little extra height and a flat seat to move around on. Consider this as a possible direction.

Thanks for that pic, it gives me a great idea of what you did, fine job! Hopefully this solo seat I have coming will do the job, as my legs aren't THAT long (34" inseam, max), so a lot of my height comes from the waist up.

Where did you source your used seat? Ebay/Craig's list?
GTS 300 Super
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:05 pm quote
ESquared wrote:
Travman wrote:

Thanks for that pic, it gives me a great idea of what you did, fine job! Hopefully this solo seat I have coming will do the job, as my legs aren't THAT long (34" inseam, max), so a lot of my height comes from the waist up.

Where did you source your used seat? Ebay/Craig's list?
I think I actually found it here in the For Sale section. Since I knew I was putting a cover on the existing seat, I did not care about condition. Just wanted one with good foam.
Enthusiast
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:30 pm quote
Got the Solo Seat installed and took an inaugural ride today. Much better overall, not sitting directly on the "ridge" in the stock seat. Lots of room to move around fore and aft, just for variety's sake.

Pretty cool cover in the works from Cheeky Seats, so more to come!

EOXX8069.JPG

Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:35 pm quote
Looking Good!
Enthusiast
Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:06 am quote
I, for one was never fond of yellow even on exotics like Lamborghini, but for some reason, yellow fits nicely on this scoot. Liking the touches you've done so far.
Enthusiast
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:20 am quote
Scarabeo500ie wrote:
I, for one was never fond of yellow even on exotics like Lamborghini, but for some reason, yellow fits nicely on this scoot. Liking the touches you've done so far.
I'm with you 100%. Thought a yellow Vespa was the worst idea ever until I saw this matte finish in person. Totally counter-intuitive, as there's a LOT of yellow going on, but the fact that it's not shiny/reflective (to me) makes a big difference.

And "touches" is the right concept, too. I'm just tweaking the cosmetics and functionality. The brushed nickel doesn't bother me (as in the leg-guard trim, passenger pegs and levers), but I'm no longer a chrome fan, so there will probably be more flat black over time, for sort of a matte yellow/matte black/brushed nickel scheme.

Almost makes it sound like I've thought about it, huh? Not 'til just now, believe me!
Enthusiast
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:31 am quote
Another example is in the photo above of the top-bag from the rear, where you can see I've re-finished the Vespa-logo'd rear rack bolt cover in flat black.

Just little nits along the way.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1848s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0457s) ][ Debug on ]