OP
@marinadelreygtser avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250

2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
I need help someone! I was putting a tiny bit of octane booster into my vespa gas tank. I unscrewed the top and carefully starting to point the top down toward my tank opening when all of a sudden the foam cap insert which was stuck to the opening of my boost bottle fell into the tank as I started to pour a tiny bit in. It was a brain fart moment because I should have noticed that the insert was covering the top of the bottle but I was so intent on making sure that I only put a few drops in and was pointing the top toward the opening of the tank that I didn't notice it. I immediately tried to look inside with a flashlight to see if I could grab it with a spring hook but it was not visible. I tried filling the tank up to the top with gas but the small opening and the long tube that is in place for the gas nozzle didn't allow me to see it. Has this happened to anyone, and if so, how did you get it out. I'm trying to avoid the huge cost of dropping and removing the whole tank. Yes...I'm an idiot!! Please help, someone.
@anndee4444 avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250

Hooked
@anndee4444 avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
I don't have any ideas on how to remove the piece, but I can say that the fuel filter has a filter that will prevent anything from making its way to the motor.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/img]
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Don't sweat it - just leave it in there.
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200

Hooked
@rob_g avatar
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
UTC quote
Ok this makes three recent issues. I'm doing a toast to you, right now, wishing you the best and hoping this recent string of bad luck ends NOW!!
OP
UTC

2007 GTS 250

2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
I hope you're right! Three's the the charm. I thought about leaving it alone but as I was returning from a quick ride to the neighborhood market, the bike stalled on me all of a sudden. I tried to start it a few times but it wasn't getting any fuel through the injection system. Unclipped the gas line leading to it and the release of pressure disconnected the small cap from being sucked against the fuel line filter. Bike started up again like nothing had ever happened. So I believe that the small round foam insert is going to be giving me some issues once I'm a while. Can I remove the fuel line cap without lowering the tank? There isn't much room between the frame and the fuel intake lines that are attached to the round cap that would be easiest to take off to get to that darn piece I let fall in there. If I leave it in the tank will it eventually dissolve? I really don't want to ruin my fuel pump because of it overworking trying to get fuel to the motor. I do appreciate your help everyone.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
Re: Vespa GTS 250 gas tank mess up
MarinadelreyGTSer wrote:
I was putting a tiny bit of octane booster into my vespa gas tank.
Why?

If you're really worried grab an endoscope off ebay and have a nosey down in there.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
I had the same thing happen while using ethanol treatment. I was lucky enough to have a coworker loan me their endoscope and I bought a claw type grabber at Ace hardware.
I also must ask. Why octane booster? I only ride Scoot Life every two weeks, so I feel the need to control ethanol faze. I ride the Commuter every day and use premium gas, no need to boost octane. Don't the gas stations where you live sell premium gas?
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
The stall is more likely related to over-filling the system and has nothing to do with that bit of foam in the tank.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
IMHO This is the best reason not to use octane boost with premium gas in a scooter.
WEB-Tech wrote:
higher than recommend octane on any engine, knock sensor or not, is going to make no performance gains. It will cause carbon build up on the piston and cylinder head though. Which if continued will REQUIRE the use of high octane because the carbon build up will increase compression.
OP
UTC

2007 GTS 250

2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
Thank you both for your advise. I use octane boost once a year to (I thought) clean out the system from any impurities that may have settled in the system. I guess I was wrong
OP
UTC

2007 GTS 250

2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
[quote="MarinadelreyGTSer"]Thank you both for your advise. I use octane boost once a year to (I thought) clean out the system from any impurities that may have settled in the system. I guess I was wrong. As far as the increase in power, I know that there are no actual gains in power, but did think it would help with the knocking. As far as filling the system too much, did you mean with the octane boost versus gasoline ratio I created was actually the cause?
OP
UTC

2007 GTS 250

2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
Still don't know how to use this forum properly. Please forgive for the double message
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Re: Vespa GTS 250 gas tank mess up
MarinadelreyGTSer wrote:
I tried filling the tank up to the top with gas but the small opening and the long tube that is in place for the gas nozzle didn't allow me to see it.
If you filled the tank to the point you could see the level of gas, it would likely overfill and get into the evap system. This can then cause stall and failure to start.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
MarinadelreyGTSer wrote:
Still don't know how to use this forum properly. Please forgive for the double message
To quote, click quote in upper right corner of that message.
Then, click at the end of the message and hit <enter> a couple times to give space below the original message.
There are more complex / elegant ways but this is how I do it.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
If you want to clean your fuel system use this. Best over the counter I know of, Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner - 20 oz

The blue wording is important, they have a similar product that is not the same thing.

You want to use this when you are going to be making short trips, the longer it is in the fuel system the better.
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
UTC quote
If you are using IE, don't hit the back key after you post your message. That can give you the double posts.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
I'll play the dissenting opinion here and say that if it were me I'd make the move to remove the foreign object.

While you may be able to jack the body and pull the pump and flush it out (not the worst thing in the world) ultimately you need to resign yourself to fact that you may wind up dropping the tank entirely (which sucks donkey balls) to clear it.

Either way, I'd be uncomfortable with something in there that may dissolve at some point and gum up the works from the pump to the injector.

Just my $0.02 is all

-g
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
UTC quote
You could spend the next week (or more) reading gasoline web postings on top tier fuels, fuel additives and the like and how many people waste their money pouring stuff in their gas tanks? Laughing emoticon
Empty the tank and blow out yer little foam thingy with compressed air...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0809s ][ Queries: 21 (0.0507s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]