OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa gts 250

Lurker
Vespa gts 250
UTC quote
Salve boys, I write to us, Italy's Own's consumption of GTS 250, about 150 / 200cc every 1000km I would have thought to put a 10 W 50.
@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas
UTC quote
Benvenuto a Modern Vespa!

My 2007 GTS started consuming oil, as you describe after about 48,000 km. I doubt changing the oil viscosity type would have helped me.

How many km are on your scooter?
OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa gts 250

Lurker
Vespa gts 250
UTC quote
mine has only 14000 km, and consumes 200 cc every 1000 km. I am now trying Bardhal xtc 10w 50, as I will do a few kilometers from the conclusions
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
Re: oil consumption vespa gts 250
EnricoRoma wrote:
Salve boys, I write to us, Italy's Own's consumption of GTS 250, about 150 / 200cc every 1000km I would have thought to put a 10 W 50.
That doesn't seem too bad. Are you changing the oil every 4000-5000 km? That's about what Vespa recommends.

Are you using the oil Vespa recommends? You might try the oil they recommend.

Do you see any oil leaks on the bottom of the engine?

Best
Miguel
OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa gts 250

Lurker
Vespa gts 250
UTC quote
the engine has no losses, I have already tried the recommended one, in my opinion the temperatures in the sump are too high for the recommended oil. on other forums they recommend this gradation.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
The main thing to make sure of is that you use a motorcycle oil, not a car engine oil. The two are different even if they meet the same specification. The bikes that I see in the workshop with higher oil consumption are generally bikes that have been run on car engine oil for most of their lives. Car oil causes greater piston, ring, camshaft, and cylinder wear over time for several reasons that I won't go into (again) here.

Putting a slightly higher grade fully synthetic motorcycle oil such as a 10-50 is ok if your bike is using more oil than it should. IT will reduce consumption by some. But bear in mind this also causes greater cylinder and piston ring wear when the engine is cold or on shorter trips. The flow rate is lower so you get extra engine wear, albeit in your case only a small amount.

Nearly all engine wear experienced by your engine (between 93-97% depending on the type of engine) over it's entire life occurs during it's first 7 minutes of cold operation after start up. Almost no wear occurs during 'hot running', unless you use a car oil which is not designed to protect an engine running at the sort of temperatures and engine revs our bikes work at.

Let us know how your oil consumption is after switching oil viscocity. Good luck.
OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa gts 250

Lurker
Vespa gts 250
UTC quote
the oil I used is for motorcycles, since I changed the oil I have traveled 300 km and consumed nothing. unfortunately in the scooters the oil is heavily stressed and the rpm are high. plus the operating temperatures are high and the oil degrades immediately. with this oil as you pointed out, I don't do many engine revolutions until the temperature is in optimal conditions.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Excellent Enrico. You have a good understanding of oil. I cover around 7,000 miles per year on my GTS300. I change my oil and filter at the recommended 6,200 miles. I use the recommended 5-40 fully synthetic motorcycle oil. My engine uses almost no oil, it does not require topping up between changes. During the first 3,000 miles it used around 50 mil of oil and then stopped using any real noticeable amount. Very pleased with it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0653s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0362s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]