first MP3 service cost?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 12Next
2020 Piaggio MP3 500 hpe
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:34 am quote
Just found out what my first service costs on my new MP3 (1000 km or 621 mi) and I'm disappointed that its so expensive (>$500). Anyone else want to share their cost?
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:50 pm quote
Mine was $311.00

This was for an ie. Maybe hpe is more.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:51 pm quote
What, for an oil change and a quick check-up?

I've always asked for the first service to be thrown in as part of the original purchase deal. Not been refused yet!
Hooked
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:53 pm quote
mine was about $150.00.
2020 Piaggio MP3 500 hpe
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:29 am quote
first service cost was mostly labor
Of course there was the engine oil/filter change, rear hub oil change, but more expensively as Piaggio-prescribed later “notch”-prevention: adjusting and tightening steering head bearings and greasing steering pivots. That last notch-preventing part requires front end dissembly and then reassembly. I’m not sure every dealer is doing this at the first service, leading to our cost disparity. I just wanted to get a feel for whether the labor charge was in line with others’. I picked this shop because I liked/trusted the mechanic, which is important when you have a two year warranty that benefits from service at an authorized service center. I just was really hoping it would be cheaper.
Enthusiast
Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:18 am quote
Little off-topic. Do you have pictures of your MP3?
2020 Piaggio MP3 500 hpe
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:56 am quote
Sure, here it is.[/img]

D8EEDD8C-E1AC-4D0E-9B21-CFF9DDDB3157.jpeg

B9343280-D280-468D-B3AC-7900E15CFE3D.jpeg

Enthusiast
Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:46 am quote
Very nice! Definitely love all black!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:02 am quote
Unless they are checking the torque on the front fork bearings, that is way to high. And most dealers don't even have the tools to do this.
Ask what they are doing for the first service. If it an engine and hub oil change I would just do it myself and keep the receipts. That is if you are in the US, other countries may have requirements that require dealer to do the service to keep your warranty, that is not the case in the US.

This is where a location in your signature is helpful to giving advice.
2020 Piaggio MP3 500 hpe
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:57 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Unless they are checking the torque on the front fork bearings, that is way to high. And most dealers don't even have the tools to do this.
Ask what they are doing for the first service. If it an engine and hub oil change I would just do it myself and keep the receipts. That is if you are in the US, other countries may have requirements that require dealer to do the service to keep your warranty, that is not the case in the US.

Yes, they were checking the torque on the front fork bearings. I have photos of all the interior complexity. I’m in the Midwestern US.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:29 am quote
The price is acceptable then and you have a good dealer for dong that.
Moderaptor
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:04 am quote
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
I’m in the Midwestern US.
Please add that to your profile - it will help if you have any further questions, as no-one will remember otherwise.
Hooked
2019 MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:30 am quote
First Service
My first service was 0 €

I had a new set of Battlaxes from Matilda,so I made a deal and traded them in for a free first service.
Hooked
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:46 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:

That´s right WEB-Tech. In Germany (for example) we are required to have the service done by the dealer to keep the Warranty until it runs out .Then we
can do our own services .
Hooked
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:05 am quote
Re: First Service
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
My first service was 0 €

I had a new set of Battlaxes from Matilda,so I made a deal and traded them in for a free first service.
Should have traded the rear tire with me. I need on already.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:15 am quote
My Dealer did my First Service for Free...
Hmmm... I guess they are charging now?

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Hooked
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:07 pm quote
klaborde wrote:

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Hi Keith. In Germany nothing is really for free.
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:46 am quote
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
klaborde wrote:

Keith,
Marietta, GA
TANSTAAFL
Hooked
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:46 pm quote
mpfrank wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
klaborde wrote:

Keith,
Marietta, GA
TANSTAAFL
Okay Frank. I'm game. What the heck does "TANSTAAFL"mean.
Moderaptor
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:22 pm quote
There (ain't) is no such thing as a free lunch. [1]

AFAIK

IIRC

TIA...

[1] Stupid double negative negating the thing it was supposed to support.
Hooked
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:22 am quote
jimc wrote:
There (ain't) is no such thing as a free lunch. [1]

AFAIK

IIRC

TIA...

[1] Stupid double negative negating the thing it was supposed to support.
That's right! I forgot. I've been living too long in Germany!
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:25 am quote
It’s not free here either. Even if they don’t charge you for it, you paid for it in another way- purchase price.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:27 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
It’s not free here either. Even if they don’t charge you for it, you paid for it in another way- purchase price.
Or someone else paid for it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:29 am quote
We use to do free state safety inspections on customers vehicles at the GM dealership where I worked.
Great way to get more business for a free inspection.
Molto Verboso
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:45 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
Or someone else paid for it.
Probably both of them paid. Dealers are not known to do charity sales and then scramble to make it up someplace else.
Hooked
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:47 am quote
Re: first service cost was mostly labor
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
Of course there was the engine oil/filter change, rear hub oil change, but more expensively as Piaggio-prescribed later “notch”-prevention: adjusting and tightening steering head bearings and greasing steering pivots. That last notch-preventing part requires front end dissembly and then reassembly. I’m not sure every dealer is doing this at the first service, leading to our cost disparity. I just wanted to get a feel for whether the labor charge was in line with others’. I picked this shop because I liked/trusted the mechanic, which is important when you have a two year warranty that benefits from service at an authorized service center. I just was really hoping it would be cheaper.
That first service should only be an oil change ,no filter, plus a check-up like jimc said nothing else. That should be somewhere between 200 and 250$. Not 500. Are you he is trustworthy?
Molto Verboso
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:55 am quote
Here’s a thought. (To no one specifically)... To avoid complaining the cost is higher than your average scooter service and intimating that the dealer is a thief, Maybe don’t buy a somewhat unique scooter, with Unique features and technology that require special training, special tools, and much more time than a simple oil change, and if you do buy one, don’t compare its maintenance cost to a regular two wheel scooter service.
Hooked
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:03 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Here’s a thought. (To no one specifically)... To avoid complaining the cost is higher than your average scooter service and intimating that the dealer is a thief, Maybe don’t buy a somewhat unique scooter, with Unique features and technology that require special training, special tools, and much more time than a simple oil change, and if you do buy one, don’t compare its maintenance cost to a regular two wheel scooter service.
You`re the one who was Raggin on the Dealer in the first place. Not me!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:40 am quote
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
That first service should only be an oil change ,no filter, plus a check-up like jimc said nothing else. That should be somewhere between 200 and 250$. Not 500. Are you he is trustworthy?
Actually with the MP3 a good dealer will check the fork bearing to make sure they are tighten to spec.and grease them
Hooked
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:16 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
Actually with the MP3 a good dealer will check the fork bearing to make sure they are tighten to spec.and grease them
Maybe they do.I couldn`t say for sure, but changing the rear hub oil is not necessary. Just level check and refill if needed. Specs donot require an oil change with the first service unless requirements are different in the U.S.
Molto Verboso
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:11 pm quote
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
You`re the one who was Raggin on the Dealer in the first place. Not me!
Where did I rag on the dealer? What I said was truthful.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:12 pm quote
Vintage1 wrote:
I don't recall complaining at all. I do all my own work, so frankly for the most part I have no idea what maintenance costs are other than parts.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:47 pm quote
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
Maybe they do.I couldn`t say for sure, but changing the rear hub oil is not necessary. Just level check and refill if needed. Specs donot require an oil change with the first service unless requirements are different in the U.S.
There's an aweful lot of metal particulate matter comes out with the first rear hub oil change. It has nowhere to go so getting that rubbish out is important for long service life. We always changed it out on customer bikes and it's in the service requirements if you check, unless it's changed on the later bikes.
Hooked
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:12 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
There's an aweful lot of metal particulate matter comes out with the first rear hub oil change. It has nowhere to go so getting that rubbish out is important for long service life. We always changed it out on customer bikes and it's in the service requirements if you check, unless it's changed on the later bikes.
Sorry,but I cannot believe that a brand new Bike that has been driven for only 1500 km would have enough ware to warrant a rear axle oil change
Molto Verboso
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:44 am quote
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
Sorry,but I cannot believe that a brand new Bike that has been driven for only 1500 km would have enough ware to warrant a rear axle oil change
He’s relating what his experience has been when servicing them, not giving a wild opinion. Why don’t you believe that?
Hooked
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:48 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
He’s relating what his experience has been when servicing them, not giving a wild opinion. Why don’t you believe that?
Who said anything about a wild opinion? I was just relating my experience,and my experience is that I have never needed to change the Gearbox Oil on any First Service Vehicles. What are you putting in those things over there? Salad oil ?

Molto Verboso
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:06 pm quote
Read what you said. If you don’t get it I can’t help you.
Hooked
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:48 pm quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Okay ,I get it, but don't need to be a smug little Smartass about it either
Molto Verboso
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:46 pm quote
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
Okay ,I get it, but don't need to be a smug little Smartass about it either
HEY! Who you calling little?
Anyways, Apology accepted.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:09 am quote
Fred, if you change your gearbox oil at 600 miles you will notice lots of metal particules in it. This is because the hub gearbox has to 'bed in' (run in) it's gears. Gears in the gearbox have been hardened at the factory, but they also have to "work harden" and smooth down their surfaces. This is done by the natural rubbing and sliding together of the gear teeth. This produces the metal particules during the initial running in process. There's no filter in the hub gearbox so those metal particules are circulated around over every moving part including the bearings etc. That's not good and it will shorten the life of the gearbox if you don't take out those metal bits.

That's why you need to change the gearbox oil so early.

Edit: The latest models STILL require a rear hub oil change at 600 miles. Just checked the latest manual.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1828s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0432s) ][ Debug on ]