first MP3 service cost?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12
Hooked
2019 MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:24 pm quote
Stromrider wrote:
Fred, if you change your gearbox oil at 600 miles you will notice lots of metal particules in it. This is because the hub gearbox has to 'bed in' (run in) it's gears. Gears in the gearbox have been hardened at the factory, but they also have to "work harden" and smooth down their surfaces. This is done by the natural rubbing and sliding together of the gear teeth. This produces the metal particules during the initial running in process. There's no filter in the hub gearbox so those metal particules are circulated around over every moving part including the bearings etc. That's not good and it will shorten the life of the gearbox if you don't take out those metal bits.

That's why you need to change the gearbox oil so early.

Edit: The latest models STILL require a rear hub oil change at 600 miles. Just checked the latest manual.
Thanks for the tip Stromrider. You do make a good point there. I'll take a gander at my Manual.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:58 am quote
Re: first service cost was mostly labor
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
slomo_scooterbabe wrote:
Of course there was the engine oil/filter change, rear hub oil change, but more expensively as Piaggio-prescribed later “notch”-prevention: adjusting and tightening steering head bearings and greasing steering pivots. That last notch-preventing part requires front end dissembly and then reassembly. I’m not sure every dealer is doing this at the first service, leading to our cost disparity. I just wanted to get a feel for whether the labor charge was in line with others’. I picked this shop because I liked/trusted the mechanic, which is important when you have a two year warranty that benefits from service at an authorized service center. I just was really hoping it would be cheaper.
That first service should only be an oil change ,no filter, plus a check-up like jimc said nothing else. That should be somewhere between 200 and 250$. Not 500. Are you he is trustworthy?
Actually with the MP3 a good dealer will check the fork bearing to make sure they are tighten to spec.and grease them
Maybe they do.I couldn`t say for sure, but changing the rear hub oil is not necessary. Just level check and refill if needed. Specs donot require an oil change with the first service unless requirements are different in the U.S.
There's an aweful lot of metal particulate matter comes out with the first rear hub oil change. It has nowhere to go so getting that rubbish out is important for long service life. We always changed it out on customer bikes and it's in the service requirements if you check, unless it's changed on the later bikes.
Sorry,but I cannot believe that a brand new Bike that has been driven for only 1500 km would have enough ware to warrant a rear axle oil change
But the next change wouldn't be for 6,000 miles. Which is a lot.
Small engines with no filter get oil changes every 2,000 miles or 25 hours.
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:13 pm quote
I change engine oil + filter every 5K km and gear oil every 10K km regardless of what the Piaggio service manual says. Ditto on lubing the bearings every 5K.

Oil + grease are cheap, engines and labor are not.
Hooked
2019 MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:10 pm quote
sbaert wrote:
I change engine oil + filter every 5K km and gear oil every 10K km regardless of what the Piaggio service manual says. Ditto on lubing the bearings every 5K.

Oil + grease might be cheap where you come from,but not in Germany! You'll end up paying from 15 to 25€ for a liter of Oil depending on type and quality here
Hooked
2008 fuoco.T3 guzzi california outfit
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:37 pm quote
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
sbaert wrote:

Oil + grease might be cheap where you come from,but not in Germany! You'll end up paying from 15 to 25€ for a liter of Oil depending on type and quality here
Why so expensive ? Tax? I buy some of my oil in 20lt containers last lot middle of this year 5w30 fully synthetic latest spec for vauxhall/opal petrol or diesel models was £46 delivered uk refined or i could have bought Mannol made in germany for £50 delivered. I also buy 20/50 old school oil cost is around £9-£11 for 4 1/2 or 5lt delivered. If i buy 5w40 fully syn for the fuoco i can buy 5 lts for around £17 delivered, 20 lts would be £50 ish. Your being screwed for sure.
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:42 pm quote
I know perfectly what you are saying, as I go to Germany quite frequently. But those are from places such as fuel stops along the autobahn or brick and mortar stores. You know you're going to get raped. But it doesn't have to be that way.

When it comes to oil, grease and other such parts the key is buying online.

I've found great deals for the MP3 on Amazon Italia. Example: the Piaggio gel seat accessory. Goes for about $606 US dollars. Amazon Italia, 290 Euro and free 2 day shipping. Can't beat that with a stick. Found a similar deal for a box (12 bottles) of Eni 5W-40 PG (Piaggio approved) engine oil, filters, etc, etc, etc. Sometimes you do have to buy in larger quantities (such as the oil example), but that is just the way it goes.

Similarly, for my Mercedes and Honda cars I buy all the service items online. In some cases, the filters come from the same supplier (such as Knecht-Mahle, Mann, Hengst, etc.) as what you get at the dealer. The only thing missing is the sticker on the box and the dealer price. Even the box is the same.
Hooked
2008 fuoco.T3 guzzi california outfit
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:44 pm quote
sbaert wrote:
I know perfectly what you are saying, as I go to Germany quite frequently. But those are from places such as fuel stops along the autobahn or brick and mortar stores. You know you're going to get raped. But it doesn't have to be that way.

When it comes to oil, grease and other such parts the key is buying online.

I've found great deals for the MP3 on Amazon Italia. Example: the Piaggio gel seat accessory. Goes for about $606 US dollars. Amazon Italia, 290 Euro and free 2 day shipping. Can't beat that with a stick. Found a similar deal for a box (12 bottles) of Eni 5W-40 PG (Piaggio approved) engine oil, filters, etc, etc, etc. Sometimes you do have to buy in larger quantities (such as the oil example), but that is just the way it goes.

Similarly, for my Mercedes and Honda cars I buy all the service items online. In some cases, the filters come from the same supplier (such as Knecht-Mahle, Mann, Hengst, etc.) as what you get at the dealer. The only thing missing is the sticker on the box and the dealer price. Even the box is the same.
Yes Online it is for me as i'm in a rural area and can't get anything i want for the fleet .Greece seems quite cheap for piaggio parts 1/2 the price of UK thinking about it i must make use of my greek contact. There again i've not tried Italy for parts.Never mind once we are out or the EU we won't be able to get anything and the country will come to a grinding halt.Back to the horse and cart.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.1590s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0409s) ][ Debug on ]