New Bike: Yamaha Majesty
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:42 am quote
I just picked up my new 05 Charcoal Gray Yamaha Majesty this
weekend -- I have to get my paperwork in order and I'm set for
the MSF class April 7th.

Once I decide on a bike, I start calling around to dealers in an ever
widening circle til I find the best deal and the right color: 150 miles from home and a pleasant country drive (little Chinese scooters seem to abound in this rural countryside -- for sale at every convenience store!).

It was a tough decision -- choosing a bike -- I was very drawn to the
BV500, the X9 and the Scarabeo 500. The Majesty is smaller than all
these, which was important to me. It also came down to the feature set
of the Yamaha (storage, cool tech: fuel injection, cast aluminum frame,
digital readout, temp guage, more storage), the styling (which has grown
on me), a really great deal, and the fact that we have a Yamaha dealer
here. I feel certain that the larger the bike the more
important parts and service.

I'm hoping the Majesty will broaden my scooting range without losing that
certain scootability thing we all love.

Someone said this and I think it's true: a scooter is interesting to ride in
circumstances and situations where a motorcycle would be boring to ride.

I'll probably continue to hang out here -- gee, I've never actually owned
a Modern Vespa. This is a great place to learn and connect,
though -- with a friendly and constructive attitude.

Last edited by Packa on Wed May 21, 2008 2:04 am; edited 4 times in total
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:49 am quote
Congrats Packa!!! Glad to see you are staying with us. I know you will love the Majasty, it is such a sweet ride. Next time I come home and down to Va Beach I will have to give you a call. Keep us posted on the new scoot, Beale.
Hooked
lx 150
Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:02 am quote
Post some pictures when you get it!
Molto Verboso
Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:04 am quote
Packa,

Congrats on your new Super Scoot !

Tim
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Yamaha Vstar classic 650 'Yamama' (Currently waspless but don't count me out!)
Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:22 am quote
Very slick looking bike. Have fun.

Is your avatar an actual technical temperature map for the Majesty? (It looks really similar) I'm curious where you got it or if others have seen one for any of the vespa models. That kind of info would be really helpful in our various windscreen discussions etc.

Also, I haven't taken the driving class yet, I start April 20 (Hitler's birthday ). Here in MN my restrictions with the permit only are: 1) must have helmet 2) no night driving 3) no passengers 4) no freeways So I've been getting as many non-freeway miles as the weather allows me. Are you not allowed to ride at all until you take the class?
Hooked
Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:36 am quote
Quote:
Is your avatar an actual technical temperature map for the
Majesty?
I found that image buried really deep inside the Japanese Majesty site...
the 400 is actually called the Grand Majesty in Japan (why always these
strange names?).

I had never seen an image like it before, so I grabbed it for the avatar.
It's possible that Yamaha has these for other bikes, too, but I've never
seen them before.

I would have imagined it to be a temperature indicating image also, but I
wonder if it is in fact PRESSURE... study the image and you'll see that the
red corresponds clearly to where the greatest pressure would occur, blue
the least.

Alas, since I don't read Japanese...

PS: the Japanese sites always have fun stuff, albeit difficult to find and
then remember where you found it -- Honda has great line drawings of
their bikes... most Japanese scooter sites have very good diagrams or
pictures to help you get a feel for the size of the bike and how you'd fit:

pic_001.jpg

Addicted
gt200
Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:24 am quote
NIce bbike, was thinking of that before I got the GT. Defiantly a great bike.

X
Ossessionato
Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:00 pm quote
Nice looking bike, Packa. Did you see the article about 'body kits' in the recent Scoot! magazine? Give it the Batman look or a replica of Akira's motorcycle, from the anime movie.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Yamaha Vstar classic 650 'Yamama' (Currently waspless but don't count me out!)
Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:23 pm quote
I just saw one today while at a local bike shop. It looked "big" to me. Still sexy, but big. It's got enough muscle to move around. At 436 lbs does it feel heavier/more solid?

Have fun.
Enthusiast
BV 500
Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:35 pm quote
I also recently purchased a 2005 Yamaha Majesty and am amazed at how well it handles and how easy it is to control. My former bike was a 150 cc and weighed 286 pounds, whereas the Yamaha weighs 436, but you'd never notice the difference while riding. It's actually easier to ride than the ligher bike -- the longer wheelbase and larger front fairings make it easier to handle, particularly in windy conditions. Plus, the power is awfully nice to have when dodging in and out of traffic.

Overall, I really love the Majesty. But, I will say the 150 cc was more nimble and, on some level, was perhaps more fun to ride. Yet, given the storage (two full face helmets easy), power, and stability, the Majesty seems more suited to long (20 mile plus) commutes from the suburbs.

Just my opinion.

Mudspoke
Hooked
Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:11 am quote
Yeah, I'm not riding the Majesty yet -- though I have snuck rides twice around the block. Got to get all the paperwork in order first.

But I'm excited and hopeful the scootability factor will still be there!
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:15 am quote
Very cool bike, and one that I even briefly considered before going the MC route. Do let us know some more about how you like it when you get some more riding time on it.
Hooked
X-9 500 Evo, GT200

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:02 am quote
Re: New Bike: Yamaha Majesty
Packa wrote:
It was a tough decision -- choosing a bike -- I was very drawn to the BV500, the X9 and the Scarabeo 500. The Majesty is smaller than all these, which was important to me.
Congrats!! The Majesty is a sweet ride.

However, this is the second time the smaller thing has come up in MV, so let me try to set the record straight. From Yamaha's, Piaggio's, and Aprilia's web sites, here are the stats:
Majesty           X9            BV-500     Scarabeo 500
Overall Length            87.8"           83.8"           87.2"       90.9"
Wheelbase                 61.6"           60.2"           61.0"       63.2"
Width                     30.8"           34.6"           30.3"       30.9"
Dry Weight  (lbs)         436             470(wet)       436.5        418
So, the X9 and BV500 are shorter in both overall length and wheelbase than the Majesty. The BV500 is also narrower (the X9 is the widest due to its car-like protruding mirrors). The Scarabeo 500 is longest at 90.9" overall, which is due not only to its slightly larger wheelbase, but its use of 16" wheels front and rear.

The BV500, X9, and Scarabeo share the same 460cc 39HP Piaggio engine while the Majesty's got a 395cc engine. Weight-wise, the Scarabeo trumps them all, despite the fact that it's a steel frame, not aluminum, and so it has the best power to weight ratio, while the Majesty has the lowest. The Majesty has single discs front and rear, while the 3 Italians have dual discs up front - the Scarabeo adding ABS to boot.

Storage-wise, the Majesty's underseat storage is larger than the BV500's, but I believe they're both smaller than the X-9's underseat storage. The X-9 also has the most rectangularly shaped compartment of the lot, which easily holds a real laptop briefcase, plus. I haven't seen the Scarabeo's storage area, and I suspect it's very small due to the larger rear wheel, but that bike comes with a topcase and 2 sidecases standard.

As for the other aspects mentioned, all the bikes have fuel injection. Gauge-wise the X-9 has the most (4 analog gauges plus a digital panel that has temp readout, avg speed, max speed, & 2 trip odometers), while the BV500 is more analog/old-fashioned than the Vespa GTS! The Scarabeo also has 4 analog gauges plus a digital readout for temp and trip odometers ,plus.

Of course, stats don't tell the whole story by any means. There are lots of reasons to choose any of these bikes over the others, and there are no bad choices here (at least if Piaggio keep Arpilia parts coming into the US).

Last edited by smorgasbord on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hooked
Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:57 pm quote
Yeah, it's strange... Maybe one reason (which probably doesn't make a lot of sense) I think of the Majesty as being smaller is that I knew I'd almost have to have a top case with the other bikes. The Maj doesn't need a top case -- and hence cuts a smaller form? Top cases give me the willies.

Either way, the Maj is a big bike by scooter standards.
Hooked
X-9 500 Evo, GT200

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:08 pm quote
Packa wrote:
...I knew I'd almost have to have a top case with the other bikes. The Maj doesn't need a top case -- and hence cuts a smaller form?
Did you actually look under the seat of an X-9? I couldn't find a really good picture, but if you'll believe me that the bottom is flat, this will give you an idea:

For comparison here's a picture of the Majesty's underseat storage:

It looks like it'll hold two helmets nicely, but not a laptop briefcase. The X-9's storage is way more rectangular.
Hooked
Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:24 pm quote
Hey Smorg, you have a great bike and I'm glad you like it. I considered
the X9 but ruled it out, like the Aprilia, because we don't have dealers and
the closest dealer in Charlottesville just changed hands. I got a killer
deal on the Maj, and I'm really happy with it, too.

Square just means square, it doesn't mean better. The Majesty is
designed to hold two full face helmets... that's not the case with the X9.

From the CMG Online comparison of the Burg, X9 and Majesty...
where the Maj came in first:

http://www.cmgonline.com/bikes/articles/05_Maj_Burg_X9/
Quote:
As far as under-seat luggage capacity, the Majesty takes the
chocolate covered biscuit with 60 litres of space, the Burgman
gets an oatmeal cookie with 55 litres and the Piaggio gets a No-Name
brand wafer-thin for not publishing that fact at all (although we know it’s
the smallest size from experience).
Ossessionato
Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:23 pm quote
Packa wrote:
I'll probably continue to hang out here -- gee, I've never actually owned a Modern Vespa. This is a great place to learn and connect,
though -- with a friendly and constructive attitude.
Me either. I think they let me stay because my scoot has a Piaggio engine and out of pity.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:12 pm quote
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
Me either. I think they let me stay because my scoot has a Piaggio engine and out of pity.
Don't let Bryce fool you. I made an effort to recruit him to get a fledgling forum off the ground, since he seems to have a knack for writing about scooters, Vespa or otherwise. Notice that he's user number 5.
Hooked
X-9 500 Evo, GT200

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:28 pm quote
Packa wrote:
Hey Smorg, you have a great bike and I'm glad you like it. I considered the X9 but ruled it out, like the Aprilia, because we don't have dealers and the closest dealer in Charlottesville just changed hands. I got a killer deal on the Maj, and I'm really happy with it, too.
Hey Packa, as I stated at the beginning of this thread, the Majesty is a sweet ride.

I'm not trying to sell you on the X9, I'm just trying to correct inaccuracies. The Majesty isn't the smallest of the maxis. The Majesty's aluminum frame doesn't make it the lightest of the maxis, either. I'm glad to hear that the deal and dealership, and not scoot size & weight, were your reasons after all.
Packa wrote:
Square just means square, it doesn't mean better.
Actually, it does. Consumer Reports, for instance, uses an expanding rectangular box to measure carrying cargo capacity, because that's a better metric for usable capacity than the "bags of water" space rating Yamaha provides. The SAE has guidelines on this stuff for cars (J1100, I believe) - guidelines that reject this kind of measurement.
Packa wrote:
The Majesty is designed to hold two full face helmets... that's not the case with the X9.
Well, if all you want to carry is 2 full face helmets, the Maj is great. But if you're like me and you and your passenger wear your helmets while riding, then you might want to carry other things on your bike. For instance, if you commute and have a laptop, then the Maj's storage design simply doesn't work: it's really good only for helmets and bunched up clothing that resists wrinkling.
Packa wrote:
From the CMG Online comparison of the Burg, X9 and Majesty...
where the Maj came in first:
http://www.cmgonline.com/bikes/articles/05_Maj_Burg_X9/
Quote:
As far as under-seat luggage capacity, the Majesty takes the
chocolate covered biscuit with 60 litres of space, the Burgman
gets an oatmeal cookie with 55 litres and the Piaggio gets a No-Name
brand wafer-thin for not publishing that fact at all (although we know it’s
the smallest size from experience).
One can only laugh at that article: it's just so bad. Really.

First, let's talk about their scooter expertise. They have none. They had three bikes and they crashed two of them! They admit in one case the rider thought he was pulling in the clutch, not clamping down on the rear brake. And the other case appears to have occurred because the rider didn't use the left hand brake lever at all. Then they dance around blaming this on the bikes, practically insulting us scooter owners in the process. I quote: "...there is an argument to be had to keep the edge off scooter braking in order to accommodate the intended market". Jeez, that kind of writing is just inexcuseable.

Then they get the X9's drive mechanism wrong. It's a CVT/belt, like the Maj, not a "CVT/shaft." Finally, they get the underseat storage thing wrong. By my measurements, the X9's storage under space is at least 55 liters. As I asked earlier - have you actually looked under an X-9's seat? I can't believe you did, because you then wouldn't be quoting a "review" that got it wrong.

Of course, Yamaha's top ranking in CMG's review has nothing to do with the fact that Yamaha is one of the very prominent advertisers on CMG's site, right? http://www.cmgonline.com/

I really don't want this thread to morph into "my bike is better than yours." No bike is better than another in all criteria. Different criteria have differing importances to different people, and rightly so. All I was trying to do was to get the facts about size, weight, power, and storage straight so that people could factor in more accurate information to their own decisions.
Ossessionato
Baart-less
Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:15 am quote
I've considered the Majesty because of the capability for highway riding. I like the looks of it and the maintenance intervals are very reasonable compared to some other scooters I've considered.
I still prefer the Vespa GTS for the classic scooter look.

Check out:

http://www.majestyusa.com

It's a good forum with good info.

Dave
Hooked
Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:21 am quote
CMGonline has a very casual, chummy journalistic style, but even
so it's rare that you find a review on the North American continent
of three maxi-scooters... and for me at least it's hard to dismiss
everything in the article because of the casualness of the writing style
or because of an inaccuracy concerning the drive mechanism on
one of the three bikes.

The guys living with the three maxi-scooters repeated that the X9 had the
least storage space of the three. I'm real glad that Consumer
Reports believes "Square is Better" (who'd have guessed),
but because the space under a seat isn't square doesn't mean it
disappears.

The Square Object Police are not going to suddenly
appear when a rider squeezes a brimming soft backback under
the Majesty's seat.

CMG gave props to the X9 for it's overall power -- but also faulted it
for it's service light flashing on and off, the engine running hot and
"poor quality finish, with panels that didn’t quite fit together – some
of them still showing flash lines from the production process."

In Italy -- where the scooterati know a thing or two about what
makes a good bike, the Majesty 400 ranked 11th in overall Moto
sales last year. The X9 didn't rank in the top 20.

Even so, the streets of Europe team with the X9 and X8 -- they are
everywhere. And clearly the X9 is a terrific bike.

Last edited by Packa on Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:12 am quote
Friendly, guys, friendly. Just keep repeating that mantra.

Besides, all this talk of storage on your maxiscooters is getting me down as I try to figure out where to put the Grip-Lock and the kickstand plate when I go for a ride on my Moto Guzzi.
Hooked
Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:43 am quote
Did you get a Moto Guzzi?
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:36 am quote
Yep.
Hooked
Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:33 am quote
Jess, that's very, very exciting. And what a handsome bike. The bike looks very refined -- I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm at a show.

That thing must be wicked fast, though.

I like this: on the Piaggio home web site they have a tag line for each company. Moto Guzzi is: Una storia importante: One important history.
Hooked
X-9 500 Evo, GT200

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:50 am quote
Packa wrote:
CMGonline ....
I was trying to correct misinformation, not make you defensive about your recent purchase. I'm sorry for that. But you won't get anywhere bashing a bike you haven't seen for youself. Don't rely on the CMG clowns, go see an X-9 in person before you comment further.

As for sales figures, I notice that the Vespa GT didn't make the Italian top-20 list, either. I guess I own two losers, eh?
Hooked
Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:21 pm quote
Ok, I'm repeating: friendly, friendly...

Smorg, I have seen and ridden an X9, thanks.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.4473s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0765s) ][ Debug on ]