GT, GTS,GTV wheel balancing
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GT200
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:34 pm quote
Has anyone tried the liquid tire balancer on their 12" tires?? Does te stuff work, or is it garbage. The closest shop that can balance Vespa wheels is 200 miles away. Yes I live in the "STICKS"!! LOL!!
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:58 pm quote
A number of people have used this DIY tire balancing tool with good success.

And watch this video of Old as Dirt (I think) balancing a Vespa wheel with it.

Link if the video doesn't show up in your browser: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y0oAU8Vxyg"

There have been a number of other DIY balancing techniques and tools that people have used. Use the search tab above.

Best
Miguel

Last edited by Miguel on Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:58 pm quote
I use RideOn in all my tires, but only after static balancing.

You could get a Marc Parnes setup for the Vespa wheels, and balance yourself.

http://www.marcparnes.com/Vespa_Scooter_Wheel_Balancer.htm
Enthusiast
GTS 250
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:26 pm quote
I have used Rideon with and without balance weights on a GTS 250. I couldnít tell the difference even at 70 miles per hour. Itís a good product. Since it also seals small punctures, Rideon adds to safety and convenience as well.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:57 pm quote
What makes you think youíre unbalanced?
Hooked
GTS 300ie Touring
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:01 pm quote
znomit wrote:
What makes you think youíre unbalanced?
That's very good znomit!
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:04 am quote
I use CounterAct Balance Beads on my Vespa GTS, MP3's, and my Motorcycle Trailer. Works Great... You remove all the weights from the Rim, you insert the Beads through the Valve Stem that is equivalent to the oz weight you removed. Typically about 2oz per rim, and your done.

https://amazon.com/Z-Tire-Beads-Balancing-Applicator/dp/B078TPTVJC

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:05 am quote
klaborde wrote:
I use CounterAct Balance Beads on my Vespa GTS, MP3's, and my Motorcycle Trailer. Works Great... You remove all the weights from the Rim, you insert the Beads through the Valve Stem that is equivalent to the oz weight you removed. Typically about 2oz per rim, and your done.

https://amazon.com/Z-Tire-Beads-Balancing-Applicator/dp/B078TPTVJC

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Keith, Any downsides to these beads?
Miguel
Addicted
2007 Vespa GTS250ie 2007 Buddy 125 Series Italia 2012 Ural Gear-Up
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:31 am quote
I use the balance beads with no problems and a perfect balance. The only thing I've heard is if you spill some it would be like trying to walk on ball bearings.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:44 pm quote
I was a balance bead advocate for many MC sets of tires. As for walking on them in the shop, they're too tiny to bother your footsteps.

When I put my first tire change on my GTS I had a tank slapper event(scared the pee out of me too!!!) which I notated well here right after it happened.I am a life long rider and had never had one before and don't want a nother. The psi was correct and I saw nothething out of order on the scooter. I decided to dump those beads and went back to stick on weights. i use a HF wheel balancer which can be made to fit one side of a GTS wheel via a socket in my tool box that fits that hub center tightly. I use the HF cone on the other side of the wheel. I had no issue after the rebalance and sold the scooter to a guy who's also had no problems.
I used 2 oz of beads.
Do as you wish but I'm done with beads. I sold off my bulk bag on ADV rider and never again. I have no desire to use a liquid balance either as I might need to plug a tire to get home sometime.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:25 pm quote
Kantuckid wrote:
I have no desire to use a liquid balance either as I might need to plug a tire to get home sometime.
RideOn is specifically made to plug leaks in the tread area.
Personally can't vouch for how effective it is, other than perhaps ~60,000 miles with no flats.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:23 pm quote
I don't use them and never will, I have change a few tires with them in for folks and hate them. They go everywhere and they will make you slip and twist and fall. To me they are a hazard.

As far as their effectiveness in balancing a tire and rim, sure at a give steady speed they should do just fine. Now I don't ride at 50mph from the start to wherever I am going. I start and stop , speed up and slow down, brake easy and sometimes break hard. Do those beads keep the wheels and tires in balance during all of that? NOPE they can't. When slowing by braking they fall to the bottom and then have to resend up during acceleration again.

I prefer to have my wheels and tires in balance 100% of the time, in all corners and braking, during any acceleration and decelerations.

But most of all not to have those stupid things all over my garage floor and me slipping on them and then having a hospital bill.
Molto Verboso
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:51 am quote
During my apprenticeship I was taught to sweep the shop floor.

Actually I used the beads over again and dumped them on a small tarp, not a major issue to contend with?
I had zero issues with smooth riding using beads and tire wear was logical.
The whole bead thing is a worn out topic by now. I've read stuff by physics people, grease balls like myself and came to no conclusions except they worked for me. In many pages of ADV comments not ever have I read about someone falling on the beads? They are less than 1/32" dia and much smaller than lots of other floor debris to begin with.
Who really knows what the little things do inside there?
Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:56 pm quote
I will probably get torched for saying this but I have never balanced a scooter tire and never had a problem. Never noticed any wobble or vibrations at any speed on either the Yamaha Majesty or GTV 300...[/url]
Molto Verboso
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:54 am quote
One common tactic by DIY balancers is to rotate the tire on the rim until balance is achieved via placing tire & wheel where they happen to make the assy become in balance, sometimes it's possible, others not.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:47 pm quote
Kantuckid wrote:
During my apprenticeship I was taught to sweep the shop floor.
I didn't know Mr. Miyagi ran a repair shop.
rosscooter wrote:
I will probably get torched for saying this but I have never balanced a scooter tire and never had a problem. Never noticed any wobble or vibrations at any speed on either the Yamaha Majesty or GTV 300...[/url]
I haven't either, even on much larger displacement bikes that I've ridden a whole lot faster. I use Ride-on, mainly because of the flat protection, but don't really notice a difference. I've used balanced tires before, and I don't think I really noticed a difference there either. I think a lot of that is because rims and tires are more precisely made than before, rims are alloy and don't have spokes, and we don't use tubes, so any inbalance is going to be minor, compared to how things were forty years ago or so.
Molto Verboso
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:38 am quote
Tires are handmade as they have been for many years, A human hand pushes the buttons or pedals, applies and tears off the carcass fabric and the human eye decides the tearoff point and width of the fabric splice. The fabrics have evolved somewhat(rayon, nylon, kevlar, polyester, etc.) but most have been around a very long time. The belt designs, if used, evolve some.
A machine extrudes & cuts/skives the tread piece then a human feeds that onto the carcass. The materials, such as tread compounding have changed but generally speaking the build a tire process hasn't changed much for many years.
The mfg can change the molds, cure times and in the end it's quality control in large part that decides what we take home balance wise or allowable defect wise.
Throwing on a tire and running it w/o a balance check, is to roll the dice balance wise. Tires are expensive and my life matters to me as well, seems illogical to me when someone says they have great "Luck" avoiding a balance of some kind. I do adhere to watching the wear pattern on all tires as it tells us when somethings off such as balance or alignment. PSI matters.
Having TPMS's on my car/truck is very illustrative of how temps affect PSI this time of year. My PU trucks new set of Michelins show ~ 31-32# in the a.m. but will show the OE# of 35 after the suns been up a few hours with the vehicle sitting still. In use the PSI heats up to 36-37 rather quickly and if towing, thus weight on the rear tires increased, they'll show 37-39#.
These tiny scooter tires need to be in balance and have proper PSI!
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1628s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0419s) ][ Debug on ]