Title and registration question for 40 yr old title...
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Molto Verboso
1980 P125X, 1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:51 pm quote
I know there is the thread on Vermont registration which I may have to do for my p200 project, but I want to try registering with proper paperwork first to hopefully get it through and get the correct title, but I want to see others opinions on if I will have trouble or what I may need to do to get it registered.

When I bought my p200 project, the guy I got it from outside of Boston had never registered it. He bought it 20+ years ago, disassembled it and left it in a pile for 20 years. When he bought it, he got the original title from the original owner who had it registered and titled when new in 1980. So this second owner signed the back of the title for transferring it from the original owner but never took it to get registered or title transferred. Cut to 20 years later and I bought it from him. He no longer had the bill of sale from the original owner but he did have the title that he signed the back of. He gave me a bill of sale and the original title which is out of state to me where I will register it.

I am hoping I can get title transferred to me or just get it registered as in nyc I don't think they issue a new title for vintage vehicles over 40 years old. What you guys think it's best course of action? I've been holding off until I restored it, but lately I've been thinking i should deal with this as soon as possible.

Edit: nys grandfather's 1972 and earlier, so I do need to deal with sorting out the title.
Hooked
P200E
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:24 pm quote
No idea on NYC but had same story here in Texas. I am just being charged at late fee that accumulates over time, but thankfully stops at a $200 max. I also made no mention of the seller between me and the one who signed the title. Less details given, often less paperwork received.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:25 pm quote
Hey Swiss,

I just registered a vehicle that had a title from not the seller. The seller made me out a bill of sale, and the DMV registered it and titled it no problem.

This is Oregon, and it's a 2 person operation at the DMV, so they know me from registering other vehicles.

It looks like you'll be fine, but who knows with the DMV. Probably worth going and standing in line to find out, or call them up and explain the situation.

Here in Oregon they need to lay eyes on the VIN at the time of Title transfer.

Good luck. Keep us informed. My curiosity is piqued....
Molto Verboso
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 pm quote
Spoke to a friend who has over 20 classic cars for film work and he suggested getting the seller to fill out this form:
https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv51.pdf

He also suggested calling the NYS title bureau and asking their opinion based on my facts.

I do remember the guy said if I needed anything else filled out he would help, but who knows, it was off craigslist. The guy was a normal guy who worked in tech and had a real nice house so I do not think this guy was shady. I found his number so I'll text him tomorrow and see if he is willing to fill that form out and send it to me. From what my friend said, it sounds like they may be lenient for 40 yr old scooter from out of state that was never registered, and if they take this mv51 form, then they issue a non-transferable title for the first year then after a year if they have not found anything wrong with the original title/ownership of the VIN from MA, then they issue a transferable title.

I'll see what this guys says. He did respond to a text I sent a month after so I have hope. I can text him the link and he can print it out fill it out and mail it to me. But you never know with people.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:57 am quote
Yes, ask at the NY State Title Bureau. We’re all well meaning here, but someone else’s experiences in another state means nothing.

You may have to track the seller down to go with you to the DMV. I see they’ll be able to title it in his name, but then you’d need him to sign the new title over to you.
Hooked
1974 Vespa 125 Primavera, 1980 Bajaj Chetak, 1962 Lambretta 175TV3, 2006 Yamaha Vino
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:24 am quote
All of the solutions proposed here are WAY more complicated and time-consuming than the 5 minutes to fill out a VT registration form, write a check, and drop it in a mailbox. Why create extra work when this is a perfectly legal and legitimate way to get a registration and title with minimal effort and no headaches?
Ossessionato
2015 GTS300, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:52 am quote
I'll just say that here in CA you can get cited for driving with out of state plates if you live here. It can get quite expensive. The DMV requires you to swap over your plates in the first month or so of living here. You can ride on out of state plates but if you get pulled over or a cop sees you routinely driving on them you may pay. I had a friend at work who didn't change his auto plates over and ended up out of like $500 or so. This is why for us in CA the end game has to be a CA title.
Molto Verboso
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:01 am quote
Bazziemoto wrote:
All of the solutions proposed here are WAY more complicated and time-consuming than the 5 minutes to fill out a VT registration form, write a check, and drop it in a mailbox. Why create extra work when this is a perfectly legal and legitimate way to get a registration and title with minimal effort and no headaches?
Because as I mentioned.. my end goal is a title, not just a registration. Yes, I will do that VT registration if I cannot get the title from NYS through any other means. I'm OCD and spend way more time doing things the long way than most people.
sdjohn wrote:
I'll just say that here in CA you can get cited for driving with out of state plates if you live here. It can get quite expensive. The DMV requires you to swap over your plates in the first month or so of living here. You can ride on out of state plates but if you get pulled over or a cop sees you routinely driving on them you may pay. I had a friend at work who didn't change his auto plates over and ended up out of like $500 or so. This is why for us in CA the end game has to be a CA title.
Yes it is also illegal here in NYS, but in nyc it's nearly impossible for them to keep track of that stuff, so they don't even bother ticketing for that. In fact, there is currently an abandoned sedan with North Carolina plates and a registration that expired in Sept. parked next to my garage for the past month and a half. I've gotten two tickets for expired registration the day after it expired, and then 12 days later when my temporary registration print out expired cause I hadn't gotten my permanent registration sticker in mail until 4 days after the temp one expired. Meanwhile that north carolina car abandoned with expired reg right next to my truck never once got a ticket.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:25 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Because as I mentioned.. my end goal is a title, not just a registration. Yes, I will do that VT registration if I cannot get the title from NYS through any other means. I'm OCD and spend way more time doing things the long way than most people.
Hey Swiss,

I did the Vermont registration, then took that to the local DMV and titled the scooter. It was basically a $53 way to make it legal in my name, which allowed me to take the legal paperwork to the DMV and get a proper Oregon Title and registration. I just needed to explain to the DMV that Vermont only issues registrations for vehicles less than 300cc's. They have the rule in a book on the shelf. The clerk checked the book, and all was golden.

I followed this through purposely all the way through to Title because I wanted to make sure it was possible myself. And it was super smooth. And the scooter is Titled! Yes, in Oregon.

The bottom line is the scooter is legally in your name when you get a Vermont registration, which can then be turned into a Title in the state of your choice.

Good luck, and let us know what route you take!
Hooked
P200e
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:37 pm quote
sdjohn wrote:
This is true and why I went to the effort to get my off the record scoot titled in CA. I have friends with cars that have been nabbed for the out of state registration and it cost them dearly. That being said I have friends with the Vermont plates on their scooters that have never had an issue
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1387s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0348s) ][ Debug on ]