Stella 2T -- Now with no spark
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Enthusiast
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:53 am quote
Ok, 2008 Stella 2T. Has been running fine. Yesterday afternoon it started up ran about 10 seconds and then just died. Had things to do so I couldn't get too deep into it then but a quick check showed no spark. Plug is a little sooty but nothing terrible.

Have been doing a good bit of reading and it seems like the possible problems in order of possibility are:

Bad Plug or loose HT wire.
Broken Kill Switch
Bad CDI
Bad Coil
Bad Stator (magneto)

I'll start by trying a clean plug to see if I get a spark.

Second would be disconneting the kill switch.

After that is where i get stuck. I've run across some diagnostics for how to test the CDI with a multimeter, but I can't seem to find the links anymore. The shop manual is all but useless with the useful suggestion to replace the part with a known good one and test.

Does anyone have guidance on how to actually test the CDI with a multimeter? Can the coil be tested?

Any advice other than just buy a new one of everything?

Hal
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:45 am quote
My vote based on knowing nothing else is a wiring failure. The wiring on Stellas is pretty abysmal, and the wiring on my '05 took a lot less than 11 years to start wearing through, breaking, and otherwise failing.
Enthusiast
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:34 pm quote
And it was...........the kill switch. Needless to say I'm happy it was so easy to fix, but I'm not happy about having had to remove the horncast again. That thing is a flimsy piece of shite. But now I don't have a kill switch. Maybe i'll wire that button into the horn too and then it can randomly honk at the most inappropriate times like my old VW Bus.

Thank you all who suffered through this previously and wrote about it.

Hal
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:13 pm quote
whereshaldo wrote:
Maybe i'll wire that button into the horn too and then it can randomly honk at the most inappropriate times like my old VW Bus.
No need for that. Keep on riding it and the horn wire will rub through and honk every time you turn the headset to the left. Just give it time.
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:37 pm quote
whereshaldo wrote:
Then it can randomly honk at the most inappropriate times like my old VW Bus.
I thought my old VW was the only one that used to do that! Glad you got it figured out.
Enthusiast
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:31 pm quote
To completely close the loop on this, i found some details on rebuilding the kill switch over on Modern Buddy. Don't know if this is acceptable protocol or not, but I figured I'd add a link to the thread over there that details repairing the Stella kill switch.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=374866#374866

Hal
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1868s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0329s) ][ Debug on ]