Red Hot
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:29 am quote
The "red hot" condition on the header is caused by fuel being burned after it leaves the combustion chamber.

You may want to remind your dealer that "a loose valve is a happy valve"

Your issue is 100% mechanical, not electronic.
MP3
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:02 am quote
sbaert wrote:
The "red hot" condition on the header is caused by fuel being burned after it leaves the combustion chamber.

You may want to remind your dealer that "a loose valve is a happy valve"

Your issue is 100% mechanical, not electronic.
I agree that fuel is burning in the header, but it could be caused with retarded ignition, combustion not complete when the exhaust valves open.

Checking the tappet clearance would be an obvious next step in this circumstance.

I'll wait to see what Piaggo have to say.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:43 am quote
Good move, and also tell your dealer that for whatever reason your bike did not come with the factory specified NGK CR7EKB plugs.

Have the factory spec plugs installed, without excuse regardless of what this dealer may tell you.
MP3
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:01 am quote
sbaert wrote:
Good move, and also tell your dealer that for whatever reason your bike did not come with the factory specified NGK CR7EKB plugs.

Have the factory spec plugs installed, without excuse regardless of what this dealer may tell you.
What I don't understand is why they bothered to change the ecu when they now say the condition is normal.

I'll ask about the plugs!
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:52 am quote
I think this dealer is way too trusting of Piaggio and/or the PDS (Piaggio Diagnostic System), instead of checking the basics and trusting his eyes, ears, nose like a mechanic always should.

Of course, IF he is one of those "new generation" mechanics that can't work without a computer then that might explain why he focused on the ECU swap and wrongly believed that would be the one stop solution & ultimate cure.
MP3
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:03 am quote
I was told Friday morning that the dealer would receive info from Piaggio describing the red hot exhaust as normal, they expected to get the info later Friday or maybe Monday.

They have not received anything yet, Monday 16:05 local time.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:14 am quote
I don't buy this "it's normal" theory until Piaggio puts a turbo on their MP3.

Then red hot exhausts may become somewhat acceptable and then only with severe usage.
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:56 am quote
they do get red hot. but after 15 second wide open throttle. or an hour of driving around. two minutes after cold start is huge problem. and they are being idiots to say its normal.
Hooked
2019 MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:24 am quote
Red Hot
It`s not normal!!!!!
MP3
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:52 am quote
Still no written statement from Piaggio/importer.

The dealer informed me that at two other dealers they tested brand new MP3 500 HPE's and that the exhaust header's were glowing red hot within 2 mins. from cold start!!

If the hot exhaust header is a fault, then it is not just my MP3.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:09 am quote
Of course there is no written statement, and there never will be. IF they are dumb enough put such a thing on paper, then you've got them by the nuts and you could take them to court. And that is the last thing they want to do.

Call their bluff, take a demo bike MP3 500HPE from the dealer your bike is at out for a spin. Come back in less than 5 minutes, and see if it glows or not. Just don't inform the dealer ahead of time this is what you want to do.

Unless you've got a turbo, the exhaust manifold should not glow and then only under hard working conditions.
MP3
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:57 am quote
sbaert wrote:
Of course there is no written statement, and there never will be. IF they are dumb enough put such a thing on paper, then you've got them by the nuts and you could take them to court. And that is the last thing they want to do.

Call their bluff, take a demo bike MP3 500HPE from the dealer your bike is at out for a spin. Come back in less than 5 minutes, and see if it glows or not. Just don't inform the dealer ahead of time this is what you want to do.

Unless you've got a turbo, the exhaust manifold should not glow and then only under hard working conditions.
If the glowing exhaust is not confirmed as normal then it has to be fixed.

I have so far described the condition from cold start without any throttle, if I rev the engine for a few moments while on centre stand (about 4000 rpm.) the glowing extends further down the header and glows a lot brighter.

What engine damage could be caused long term I don’t know, but I consider the condition to be a severe fire risk.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:38 pm quote
Now that you've given some more specific details, I can only tell you that something is very, very wrong. But there is no fire danger at this point. If anything, all engines can be considered a fire danger hence the name Internal Combustion Engine.

I suspect a tight valve, or worse. Whatever the problem may be, it is originating from the cylinder head. The fact that the bike does not have the stock spark plugs rang alarm bells for me. Sounds like somebody knew about the issue but tried to hide it by running a different set of plugs.

You should NOT drive a bike/car/anything with a engine that has this condition.

This is a brand new bike, it is your right to complain (and complain hard) and have them fix it right. If they are not willing to give you proof in hand from Piaggio directly (Piaggio letter sent from the factory or local head office addressed in your name, NOT some e-mail communication between the dealer and Piaggio) that this is "perfectly normal" demand they exchange the bike for a identical new one. Without proof in hand, when that engine fails Piaggio will put the blame on you and claim "owner neglect & abuse".

Hence the reason why I suggested you try a demo bike (or a few) to validate their claim.
MP3
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:29 pm quote
Got a call from the dealer yesterday afternoon 03 11.

The dealer received a telephone call from Piaggio Italy earlier same day, they asked him to replace the valve lifter mechanism due to a "possible" mismatch of parts.

New parts where sent from Italy yesterday.

The valve tappet clearances are ok.

The timing chain alignment is ok.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:08 am quote
BJN wrote:
Got a call from the dealer yesterday afternoon 03 11.

The dealer received a telephone call from Piaggio Italy earlier same day, they asked him to replace the valve lifter mechanism due to a "possible" mismatch of parts.

New parts where sent from Italy yesterday.

The valve tappet clearances are ok.

The timing chain alignment is ok.
I would tell the Dealer you want a "Free" Extended Warranty...
You have more patience then me, I would have requested they Buy the Bike back from you. I know two friends that turned their 2016's in and got their money back for different engine issues and purchased motorcycles.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:40 am quote
The chances of getting a "free" extended warranty after you've informed them of a major engine problem is about as likely to happen as a official letter from Piaggio claiming "nothing to see here . . . all is A-OK including the red hot exhaust".

I think it is high time the OP puts on his big boy pants and give them 2 options. 1) New bike (zero cost exchange) WITH free extended warranty OR 2) full refund of purchase price.

Look at it this way, IF Piaggio really felt that all this is "perfectly normal" they wouldn't have bothered with a ECU exchange or head related componentry.

Stand your ground, and let them know in a very stern manner that you've given them plenty of time & chances to fix it right and that your patience has become paper thin.
Hooked
GTS 300
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:19 am quote
Many years ago I worked at a VW store, we were selling the newest at the time Rabbit's and a new model something like a Passat ( the model name escapes my old confused mind).

A customer had repeated issues with the car , we did our best to address all the problems . Following all the warranty procedures, even had a service field rep in a couple of times. This went on for months and VW denied every warranty claim .
Finally the owner got an attorney involved , suing our dealership, VW , and every entity they could. The car sat on the lot for months.
I moved up and on.
The last time I saw the owner in a super market , he said they finally did get some of the money back but the lawyers got a big chunk of it.

I believe there were no so called "Lemon" laws in place at that time. Even if there were I believe the owner , even though he had played the game fairly , lost out in the end.

My bet is the OP is not going to come out happy sadly. European countries as a whole operate way differently from the US, each have their own laws . And they are not easy to navigate.

I could go on about Franchise law in Germany , but that's not the issue here.

Good luck getting this resolved OP.
MP3
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:57 am quote
The original valve lifter mechanism was replaced with new parts, NO change.

The official importer of Piaggio in Norway has sent the following letter.

Translated from Norwegian:

‘’MP3 500 2019

We confirm that the above bike is in order and works as intended by the factory.
The symptom giving high exhaust temperature and staining of the exhaust pipe under certain circumstances is normal for the model. This is also confirmed by the manufacturer itself who states that the data returned show a motorcycle that is functioning normally. They also say they will consider a possible update later to reassure customers. In this case, they will be contacted by the dealer in their district.’’

I have taken the bike home, still frustrated but not much more I can do.

ps. I have named the bike Rudolph
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:40 am quote
BJN wrote:
Wasn't his red on the other end?

Perhaps Hemorrhoid?
Ossessionato
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:51 am quote
BJN wrote:
The original valve lifter mechanism was replaced with new parts, NO change.

The official importer of Piaggio in Norway has sent the following letter.

Translated from Norwegian:

‘’MP3 500 2019

We confirm that the above bike is in order and works as intended by the factory.
The symptom giving high exhaust temperature and staining of the exhaust pipe under certain circumstances is normal for the model. This is also confirmed by the manufacturer itself who states that the data returned show a motorcycle that is functioning normally. They also say they will consider a possible update later to reassure customers. In this case, they will be contacted by the dealer in their district.’’

I have taken the bike home, still frustrated but not much more I can do.

I am sure if this was "Normal" someone here would have said...
My bike does that too here and it is normal.

Assuming the Dealer that did the "Valve Lifter Replacement" is also the one you purchase it from, I would be engaging a Lawyer or the "Threat" if necessary to return the bike. They should take it back I would think since they are confirming nothing is wrong with it; Right???
The fact that they did the repair, that convinces me there is a problem.

I am wondering if a few of us with same exhaust configuration as you started our bikes cold, did a phone video showing that our bike does not turn red hot following the same process as you would be some leverage to you for a refund. I am an IT Guy, and I would be using Social Media to your advantage so they do what you request to make you "Go Away"...

On a different topic concerning the Oil Blow, Piston Issues, past and current for those have experienced; this has me discouraged with Piaggio since 2015. I still have my 2016, but would trade it in for a Newer Model if they were to ever ship a model without this 500 Engine. I use this bike the least to keep the miles down. I use my MP3/250 way more which I call a "Collector Bike".

Keith,
Marietta, GA

Last edited by klaborde on Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
GTS 300
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:51 am quote
If, according to the letter you received from Piaggio this is a normal condition and you are still not happy with the machine.

I would put it up for sale in the spring , include the documentation from Piaggio
Price it fairly and let it go .

There are just too many solid bikes out there that do not have these kinds of problem for you to worry about.

Life is too short to worry over this .

Good luck.
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:55 am quote
can you capture a cold start on video? I really would like to see this glow. how fast and how bright..
Ossessionato
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:35 am quote
Keith's 2016 MP3/500 Sport Video...
I did a 3 min video, and at 1:10 mins you can see the pipe discolor and get hot, but mine does not look "Red Hot" like the original posters picture early in the thread.

This video was taken sitting in my garage, running idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRUb8dc-EM&t=102s

I let it run a good 5 mins, and it did not get any hotter.
I hope this helps the OP, and I was just curious to see what mine does.
My bike has 90 Non Ethanol in the tank, and running original plugs, with LeoVince Nero Exhaust. Maybe my Exhaust changes things; no baffles are installed.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
MP3
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:13 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
BJN wrote:
Wasn't his red on the other end?

Perhaps Hemorrhoid?
The red glow is at the header starting close to the connection at the cylinder head. Not at the front but maybe it will light up the chimney's below
MP3
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:22 am quote
I left the bike at the dealer with 2630 kms, and almost a full tank of gas,
when I collected the bike it showed 2500 km, on the way home the low fuel warning light came on after I had driven just couple of mins!

Does changing the ecu affect the recorded driven distance?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:35 am quote
BJN wrote:
when I collected the bike it showed 2500 km, on the way home the low fuel warning light came on after I had driven just couple of mins!

Huh? No, that shouldn't roll the odometer back, at least I wouldn't think so. Sounds a lot like Ferris Bueller's Day Off . While an MP3 is a fine vehicle it's no 1961 Ferrari 250 GT. The low gas thing would worry me if you dropped it off with a full tank. Sure the dealer may take it out on a test run or 2 they should not go through a tank of gas. I've had dealers have to test ride my bikes before and a few times I know they actually put gas in the tank for me so I wouldn't be near empty.
Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:22 am quote
Why do you guys compare older models to the HPE?? The whole engine was revised. It runs leaner due to the new ECU programming to comply with the EU4 emissions regulations. Spark plugs are correct and they come from the factory. All HPE engines (300/500) have them now. Part code is 1A013926. The "problem" also exists here and Piaggio says it's normal...
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:43 pm quote
As stated prior, sell that bike as soon as the riding season starts back up.

In the meantime, don't ride it and save up for a Yamaha T-Max or Honda X-ADV.

It is NOT normal, and whoever stated this is due to Euro4 emissions is plain wrong. If that were true when Euro5 goes into effect Jan 1 2021, with even tighter emissions, then we should expect to see these motors go into full Chernobyl mode.

Piaggio needs to ditch this 15 year old motor and come up with something brand new (with 2 pistons) vs. giving this ancient heap of a motor annual nip and tucks to keep it just within the norm to be allowed to be sold.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:24 am quote
BJN wrote:

Classic tell tale that they put in a used ECU, since the ECU is also the odometer.

Typical Italian BS. They have the worst customer service in the world, does not matter if it is Piaggio, Fiat, Ferrari, Alitalia, Pizzatalia, whatever. It is the sh!tty attitude. Obviously, the saying "the customer is always right" has yet to be translated properly into Italian.
Ossessionato
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:21 am quote
sbaert wrote:
Classic tell tale that they put in a used ECU, since the ECU is also the odometer.
Total mileage is stored in the speedo. If you change the speedo with a new one, it starts from 0 and not with your old mileage. And if they’ve put in a used ECU, what about the keys that are “married” with it??
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:29 am quote
SaFiS wrote:
Total mileage is stored in the speedo. If you change the speedo with a new one, it starts from 0 and not with your old mileage. And if they’ve put in a used ECU, what about the keys that are “married” with it??
Then do explain why the OP's odometer went from 2630 (reading when bike was dropped off at dealership) to 2500 (reading when bike was picked up)

Surely Piaggio wouldn't have swapped instrument clusters to try to fix this issue.
MP3
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:07 am quote
sbaert wrote:
SaFiS wrote:
Then do explain why the OP's odometer went from 2630 (reading when bike was dropped off at dealership) to 2500 (reading when bike was picked up)

Surely Piaggio wouldn't have swapped instrument clusters to try to fix this issue.
I wrote in my log 2630 km, which I checked before posting but maybe I have made i mistake?
I had a full tank of gas when I left home and drove to the dealer about 45 km., so aprox 250 km left in the tank, maybe they drained the tank to try some other gas?
The bike appears to have been driven on salted roads, a lot of corrosion on the exposed engine parts and the brackets for the rear shock mounts, even the oil drain plug is corroded. I have spent a lot of time cleaning since I brought it home, the bike was like new when I took it in.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:44 am quote
BJN wrote:

I wrote in my log 2630 km, which I checked before posting but maybe I have made i mistake?
I had a full tank of gas when I left home and drove to the dealer about 45 km., so aprox 250 km left in the tank, maybe they drained the tank to try some other gas?
The bike appears to have been driven on salted roads, a lot of corrosion on the exposed engine parts and the brackets for the rear shock mounts, even the oil drain plug is corroded. I have spent a lot of time cleaning since I brought it home, the bike was like new when I took it in.
Why do you keep giving this dealer the benefit of the doubt? Unless you suffer from dyslexia, the bike was brought in with 2630 on the clock per your own records. You got the bike back with 2500 on the clock.

By your own description, they rode the bike dirty and put it away wet. In other words, you got your bike back in worse condition than when you brought it in. At a minimum, they could have given it a wash considering the amount of weeks you left it with them for them to tell you in the end "everything is normal". BS, this guy is not buying their story.

Typical slop job Piaggio dealership story. And they wonder why they can't get any meaningful marketshare in the USA. Not with customer horror stories like this.

That's why I don't let Piaggio touch my bike. It was sloppily built when I got it, and I ended up disassembling the entire bike due to a mystery noise in the front end. Turned out to be a couple of loose screws and the main wiring harness was not installed properly. My local dealer told me that only the original selling dealer can perform warranty repairs. Great, here we go I said to myself. Driving it to the end of the country for a simple warranty repair was out of the question, soI fixed it myself. It only cost me a few hours of my own time.

When it came to replace the tires, the local dealer would not just mount my own supplied new tire (Michelin City Grip) to a rim unless they supplied the tire and did the entire job from start to finish. I argued that Piaggio is not in the tire business.

Ultimately, they ended up asking me to leave, which I gladly did. And they will never see me again. I ended up having my local Honda bike shop mount the tire, which gladly did the work without asking questions or drama. And I got free coffee and cake, and a test ride on the new GoldWing. Can't beat that with a stick, while at the Piaggio dealership they are more likely to beat the customer with a stick.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:29 am quote
the throttlebody doesn't store km/milage

there are ways to adjust milage/km on the speedo

the newer ABS model and HPE does have a extra ECU in the speedo that one can also give problems also the PCB with the ledlights in the legshield when a led goes all sorts of faults can happen
Ossessionato
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:08 am quote
sbaert wrote:
Maybe it was 2360 and he made a mistake?? The throttle body / ECU does not store the total mileage, that's for sure. And if it was the case, what did they do with the keys since a second hand ECU would be "married" to different keys?? They went to lengths and "reverginized" (it would require special equipment) the ECU to accept new keys?? Did the OP dropped the scooter at the dealer with both keys?? Too much hassle and lost man hours to keep a new throttle body. Oh, and Piaggio asks for the old parts to be returned, with the correct serial numbers, when it's a throttle body, ABS unit, etc. (expensive parts)...
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:15 am quote
Maksor wrote:
the newer ABS model and HPE does have a extra ECU in the speedo that one can also give problems also the PCB with the ledlights in the legshield when a led goes all sorts of faults can happen
Which LED light is this you are referring to? Or are you referring to the small daytime running light strip above the headlight assembly (see pic)?

maxresdefault.jpg

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:35 am quote
I'm not totally sure about the Piaggio ECU storing total mileage (although it's likely), but it is the case that most newer bikes do have their mileages stored in the ECU. This is the same as for cars and is designed to stop and/or make it harder for crooked dealers to alter speedo miles (know as 'clocking' over this side of the pond).

By the way, it's normal practice to put back the customers own ECU if the newly fitted one didn't make any difference so the mileage on the bike should be the correct one.
MP3
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:29 pm quote
BJN wrote:

it doesnt cause your gas to go down
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123
[ Time: 0.1949s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0540s) ][ Debug on ]