Driver's Side Signal/Hazards Not working
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:40 pm quote
Hi All,

A bit of a weird one with my 2016 Piaggio MP3... My driver's left side turn signal (front and back) will not go on once the bike gets warm. The turn signals only work for the first two-three minutes then they no longer function.

What I have done to troubleshoot:
- I switched the bulbs from the right (working) to the left and vice versa to confirm the bulbs are good. I even tried newly purchased bulbs.
- I checked using the hazard buttons, but the same thing. It only turns on the left side for the first few minutes.
- I checked the fuses corresponding to the turn indicators, all good there. Again swapped the fuses and even tried new ones.
- I took apart the assembly and checked the function of the switch by completing the circuit with a wire. The right side turns on but the left side does not. I checked it with a multi-meter and the wiring for the left side does not get power.

Based on the above, I am guessing it is a relay? Why would it only work for the first few minutes though...

Any ideas/suggestions for things I can try?

Thanks,
Marc
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:51 pm quote
There's a solid state device that controls the hazard and turn signals. The turn signal switch just sends a signal to that module, which does the flashing function and drives the lamps. I bet that the module is bad. Here's a portion of the wiring diagram- the module is in the upper left hand corner.

Capture.JPG

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:55 pm quote
Looking at it, with a couple of relays and a flasher, you could make a replacement easily, if you could do without the hazard function. With four diodes you could add the hazard function.

Last edited by Squeazel on Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:57 pm quote
Squeazel wrote:
There's a solid state device that controls the hazard and turn signals. The turn signal switch just sends a signal to that module, which does the flashing function and drives the lamps. I bet that the module is bad. Here's a portion of the wiring diagram- the module is in the upper left hand corner.
Thanks! Would that be the "Turn Indicator Control Device"? Any idea where I could find a part number before taking it apart?
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:13 pm quote
Not exactly sure, but go to the AF1 site and look at the electrical parts page for your bike. That will have the part number.

OK, I looked it up for my bike. They're probably all the same, but it's 640221, "Turn Indicator Control Device With Hazard"

$50 bucks. Ouch!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:41 am quote
Squeazel wrote:
Not exactly sure, but go to the AF1 site and look at the electrical parts page for your bike. That will have the part number.

OK, I looked it up for my bike. They're probably all the same, but it's 640221, "Turn Indicator Control Device With Hazard"

$50 bucks. Ouch!
$50 isn't bad.

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:32 am quote
Hey all I swapped out this part and the lights work correctly again. Thanks again everyone.

If anyone has this issue the correct part for a NA 2016 MP3 is 1D0013915. This replaces 640221. No part store had the part in stock but the 640221 works perfect.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1358s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0265s) ][ Debug on ]