OP
UTC

LX 150 2007

LX 150 2007
UTC quote
I Accidentally broke the cover, my question is, should I just apply plastic welder? or should I replace the whole thing? as my understanding there must be a lot of pressure in there... Tnanks guys.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Picture?

Dry fit the parts and keep pressed together, then dribble some superglue into the "gap". (using a toothpick works) The dry fit will keep the parts lined up/orientated/indexed and the superglue will get "sucked" into any gap by capillarity action.

Do not apply the superglue/any glue) first as this makes the join "slippery" and the glue will set before you get a chance to line everything up properly.

Once glued spread some epoxy over the join on the inside.

Then buy a new one! If you buy a new one the old glued one will last forever. If you do not the old one will break again
OP
UTC

LX 150 2007

LX 150 2007
UTC quote
Thanks very much
By the way, how do you take this part out? I tried but nothing yet... don't wanna break more....
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
... if the price is not high you change it ... then you walk safely and without insecurity on the solidity.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
Picture?

Dry fit the parts and keep pressed together, then dribble some superglue into the "gap". (using a toothpick works) The dry fit will keep the parts lined up/orientated/indexed and the superglue will get "sucked" into any gap by capillarity action.

Do not apply the superglue/any glue) first as this makes the join "slippery" and the glue will set before you get a chance to line everything up properly.

Then buy a new one! If you buy a new one the old glued one will last forever. If you do not the old one will break again
Super glue is not the right thing for this. I would use Gorilla Glue Clear.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
That part is held into the CVT cover by a couple of screws that you get to from inside the cover. On my 150 you have to take off the air box and about 10 screws holding on the CVT cover to get to them, but it's pretty easy to do that. Might as well check your belt and variator while you're there.

Mine was somewhat discolored and brittle, so I just replaced it. SIP-scooter shop.com calls it a "vario cover," part number PI876166, and for $12 I put it in with some other stuff that I couldn't find elsewhere and made an order out of it.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
waspmike wrote:
Picture?

Super glue is not the right thing for this. I would use Gorilla Glue Clear.
SuperGlue is exactly the glue to hold it all together while one applies some epoxy. As I said if one applies glue to the surfaces before gluing it is very difficult,nay impossible, to line up the pieces.

But it does depend on the nature of the break. If it is a clean snap then superglue, if it is a rough tear and the parts will never line up properly then...whatever ones favourite.
OP
UTC

LX 150 2007

LX 150 2007
UTC quote
Thanks!!!
Juan_ORhea wrote:
That part is held into the CVT cover by a couple of screws that you get to from inside the cover. On my 150 you have to take off the air box and about 10 screws holding on the CVT cover to get to them, but it's pretty easy to do that. Might as well check your belt and variator while you're there.

Mine was somewhat discolored and brittle, so I just replaced it. SIP-scooter shop.com calls it a "vario cover," part number PI876166, and for $12 I put it in with some other stuff that I couldn't find elsewhere and made an order out of it.
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa T5 251, Lambretta GP200

Enthusiast
Vespa T5 251, Lambretta GP200
UTC quote
Just leave it off and get rid of the rubber gaitor at the same time. There is no filter in there, it is just air cooling. Maybe if you have a passenger with really baggy silk trouser legs.....
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
RunsLikeSlug wrote:
Just leave it off and get rid of the rubber gaitor at the same time. There is no filter in there, it is just air cooling. Maybe if you have a passenger with really baggy silk trouser legs.....
I would not recommend running without the cover. The CVT gets quite hot in operation, close to 200° based on my casual observations with a handheld infrared thermometer. The heat buildup resulting from the undirected airflow of an additional hole in the case could not possibly be good for the belt or bearings in the CVT. I'd also want to make as sure as I could that the CVT was sufficiently cooled from the potentially huge heat from the nearby exhaust.

It is interesting though that there is no filter anywhere on the air intake. Not on mine, either.
@northernerbill avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
lx 50

Molto Verboso
@northernerbill avatar
lx 50
UTC quote
Gorilla glue is super glue surely, just a well advertised brand name.

I've got bottles of each, they do exactly the same thing.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
OP
UTC

LX 150 2007

LX 150 2007
UTC quote
Thanks y'all... I used epoxy and it works perfect.
Thanks.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0649s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0384s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]