85%  [ 17 ]
Learn to fix it your self
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

Addicted
gt200
Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:40 am quote
How particular are you guys, when you get your scooters back? For example…If you notice things like:

1) Screws are different (2 different screws for side panels )
2) The crash bar are making the side panels sit out an not line up right)

3) Had something fixed and repainted after a crash, but some thing that seemed fine at 1st are now not. The speedo area seem foggy now harder to see. There's area on the dash that powder coat is messed up/missing…seem to me.
4)There was a screw missing for the cable that attaches on the under side of the fender. (see pic attach)

Also Ramrezz, I got the same crash bar as you…but the panel are not lining up right. Did you use the flat head screws for the front or the ones that came with the scooter.

So what do you think? Polish or dirt/finger prints I can deal with since I can clean those, but these thing make me have to double check everything. So am I being one of those annoyingly anal customers?

I not going to mention the shop yet, will wait to see the out come.

Thanks to all

x

4missin_screw.jpg

panel_alinment.jpg

Last edited by xman on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
2006 LX50 Diamond White
Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:49 am quote
Take it back and make them fix it, but I must ask:

Why add those chrome "crash bars?" They add nothing to the looks of the scooter, and are just one more thing to fuss about. I always thought those things were a clear case of guilding the lily. More screws, more screw holes, more entrances for eventual rust. Humbug!
Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:52 am quote
I don't think I would have taken back from them with screws sticking out and missing.
Hooked
Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:54 am quote
I tend to be VERY suspicious of anyone who works on my car or bike... I'm not sure this inclination always serves me best however.

I wonder if the guys I take my machines to fix can sometimes pick up on my sense that I really don't trust them -- which can't be good for the relationship. Plus I end up anticipating the worst rather than the best -- and it's not really necessary to jump to that conclusion first.

I've been trying to relax about these kinds of things, and just enjoy the bike and riding -- getting over the pickiness.

Still, I voted for take it back and fix it.
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:02 am quote
I guess it would depend on what was wrong/missing/etc. I tend to not be as observent (sp) as I should at times. I also tend to just fix the issue if no biggie. Your call on waht to do, with as much as you found I would take it back, Beale.
Addicted
gt200
Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:18 am quote
Tanks guys for you post. I will be leaving about 1/2 hr, so it help.

Scootawop : For the most part I agree with what you've said, but I after the wind blew my down and a crash here in NYC…I getting tire of repairing it $$. But I think the one's from faco are not so bad for me. Thanks

Tikka : If it was one screw I don't think I would take it back, but with the other issue…I might as well take it back.

Packa: I'm some where in btwn, I do give people the benefit of the doubt. But I know my scoot back and forth, so I will know eventually…

Beale : Yeah, I pretty much ready to go. I'm not mad or pissed…I just want it fixed. I will try (am trying) to learn as much as I can an start doing my own work. Thanks

Well time to head out. I let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again for your posts.

X
Ossessionato
2013 Can Am Spyder RSS
Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:50 am quote
Develop a relationship
Go find a shop that you get a good feeling for and develop a relationship with them. Get to know them well. So when you take your scooter in you feel good about it and it comes out just like when you dropped it off. I feel that everyone wants to do a good job and keep you as a customer, if not find a new dealer ASAP! Always be reasonable and ask questions when you don't understand.

I totally trust my dealer and the service dept.
Hooked
'07 GTS Rosso Dragon
Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:10 am quote
I think if I found what you did, then I'd be inclined to ask them to make it right and then try to find another dealer. I trust my dealer to have it right when I pick it up and if not to make it right quickly (which he's always done) but if I can't trust them then it's time to shop around.
Molto Verboso
Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:20 am quote
Dealer Report Card
You need to take those pics to the dealer that did the work, your scrutiny of the fixes is your right as a customer, crashguards are a personal preference and having them on or off is not the issue here. piaggio would have not designed the scooter to have screws missing or not fastened correctly so i think that the fix was sloppy work, make the dealer aware of your concerns in a constructive way, out here in socal, its hard to find techs to work full time so its frustrating out here. my crashbars were installed with the hardware provided and takes a 10mm wrench to remove. its not hard to do. the brackett mount uses the exsisting low profile pan head screw thats on the scooter from the factory. dr
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:54 am quote
Re: Something just not right
xman wrote:
1) Screws are different (2 different screws for side panels )
I can't really address the rest of the issues, but on my GT, the two screws (front and back) that hold the rear "skirt" panels on actually are different from each other. If you mix the two up (easy to do) one will not hold while the other will. Both sides are like this, and it definitely came that way.
Ossessionato
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986? Honda CH150 Deluxe.
Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:40 am quote
I think Ramrezz is right, there are very few qualified Vespa techs here in SoCal. The only place I trust to work on my scoot when I dont have the time or tools to do the work myself, is Scooter Bobby in Santa Barabara.
I had some minor paint and body work done on one of mt GT's. I got it back from the shop and discovered the next morning in the light of day that almost every screw was missing from the floorboards, the glove box was held on with one bolt. I also found the Carb dissconected and the accelleration pump cover was torn off and several vacuum lines were disconnected. I took everything apart, went to an autoparts store, bought new stainless hardware and reinstalled all the bodywork correctly. Reattached the Carb, fixed the accel pump and attached the vacuum lines, and it started right up. The paintwork was poor on the back of the bike, overspray, so they picked up the scoot, touched up the paint and returned it to me and guess what ? Most of the screws I bought, the nice stainless ones, dissapeared, and the wrong length originals were reinstalled. So, I have had 2 very poor dealership tech issues with the local Vespa Boutiques. The dealership I purchased mine from was another nightmare which led me to take my scoot to the dealership which did the bodywork. I never even recieved and apology or anything from the dealership I purchased them from, and the other shop just made up lame excuses and said they would deal with it.
I have written 3 letters to Vespa USA, and was contacted eventually by Eric Larson. But the issue was never resolved. I think Vespa's are a fine product and with proper care will last for decades, at least I hope so. But they need to offer better customer support and try harder to resolve issues in a timely manner.
Thanks to Jess and many others who make this website possible, we now have a support network that only Vespa could ever dream of having. Everyone who is here on this great website allways has something positive to say and offer support to new and old riders alike, regardless of who we are, where we are and our experiance level. It's a site like this that helps make our dersire and passion for Vespa's and two wheel riding that much more enjoyable. Thanks everybody.

Happy riding, Bear.

Last edited by Ifixjets on Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Yamaha Vstar classic 650 'Yamama' (Currently waspless but don't count me out!)
Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:42 am quote
I think it's worth the contact with the dealer a) so they know you're watching b) so that they can fix their own processes, it's for their own good and they should take it that way.

Unfortunately I meter my whininess by how much of a pain it will be to go back. It's a 45+ minute scoot back to my dealer and I probably wouldn't go there about the screws. But the paint... I'd take pictures immediately and get back to them on that as soon as I could.
Molto Verboso
Nazgul
Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:46 am quote
Ifixjets wrote:
... they picked up the scoot, touched up the paint and returned it to me and guess what ? Most of the screws I bought, the nice stainless ones, dissapeared, and the wrong length cheapo's were reinstalled.
Arrgh, that must have been frustrating!
Ifixjets wrote:
I think Vespa's are a fine product and with proper care will last for decades, at least I hope so. But they need to offer better customer support and try harder to resolve issues in a timely manner.
I agree completely. I wonder how much of this is just lack of oversite and how much of it is economics? No matter what, there's no excuse for sloppy work. People should take more pride in their work than to send a machine out with half the fastners missing.
Addicted
gt200
Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:53 am quote
Okay, first thanks you all for your opinions. It make me feel better to hear you stories and experience. Sorry to hear about yours though Ifixjets, much worst than anything I've had to deal with so far.

So here what happen, I stop in, they as me how everything was…I told them about the screw, the part they forgot to replace and the paint on the dash. I was ready to leave it, but he took care of the screw right away (I certainly can do that my self)…he apologized for missing the cracked panel and as for the paint, he explained that it was the clear coat (which I don't remember it need it) and had one of the service men rub it out with wet (sand?) polish or something. Came right out…very happy about that

Finally, do I trust them? For body work absolutely, for maintenance getting better…I think that the fact that they have only one guy doing all the work and there quick turn around requires me to keep an eye on there work (which I would do with mt Bike, computers…what ever).

They have always treated me well, and are very responsive to my question about there work. Also while I'm getting work done on my seat they were nice enough to let me borrow one. So I believe that I will continue to work with them. Hopefully they take my comment and criticism as constructive and not as annoying.

jess: thanks that's good to know.
ramrezz: I totally would have done the bars, but since it was in the shop for body work, I just had them do it. I always try to be very sensitive when criticizing there work.
flanders: yeah, it tuff, since I like them as people and there closest to me. so we'll see.
Ifixjets: Hopefully you bike running good now. Sorry to hear about your problem, but thanks for sharing.
lomunchi: I was thinking the same, building a relationship is usually hard…
Thanks again guys.

X
Ossessionato
Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:11 pm quote
Now that you've taken care of the matter, my vote reflects that I would have done exactly as you did.
2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.6167s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0739s) ][ Debug on ]