Flytech electronic ignition installation in vintage VBA
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
1959 VBA 150
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:07 am quote
I am struggling somewhat with the installation of the Flytech.

As is evident in the first photo, TDC is marked at 1 o’clock on the case, but the markings on the ignition unit are at 7 o’clock and the position of the screw slots on the unit do not allow me to line up the markings on the unit and the TDC marking on the case - I assume they need to be?

Will I need to drill new screw slots in the unit to align the two markings?

Many thanks for your help

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:49 am quote
Is that mark at 1 o'clock really a tdc mark? Or just from the casting? I'm not a VBA expert but I doubt very much it's tdc.
Later cases have marks which you can align the marks on the stator to - have a look here for some info - https://www.scooterhelp.com/tips/timing/electric.timing.html

In this pic the mark on the case if aligned with the 'A' mark will result in a timing setting of about 23 degrees. Aligned with the 'IT' mark it'll be around 17 or so degrees. As you see they're a long way from tdc.

I would have thought you are roughly in the right spot, compared to other cases, perhaps it's more obvious on a VBA with a points stator but I'm not sure what you are meant to align it with.

Clipboard01.jpg

Lurker
1958 Motovespa 125N
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:57 pm quote
Flytech
Hi Dave, I got mine sorted today. Took the plastic fan off the flywheel, marked TDC on the flywheel and casing. Measured 28deg BTDC on the casing. Used a drill to drive the flyweel and with the clutch removed and the plug out and used a timing light to find current pposition of the stator. Adjusted the stator several times to bring the timing to in my case 28 deg BTDC. I have a photo of the final position of my stator below. I did not need to modify the stator.
Alan

Flytech stator position.jpeg

Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2026s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0926s) ][ Debug on ]