MP3 HPE 500 where's the power?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:44 am quote
I was hoping valves got bigger so there would be a head upgrade in my future. there is no new part numbers for complete head or valves. so I would assume the only real changes are the muffler and the larger improved airbox tube. the latter being a disappointment as removing tube from early box is a very substantial and prolly gets you pretty close to that 44hp figure. and I would think the early muffler is already optimized for the engines power band, so the new twin outlet muffler may be more about fluff than an actual improvement.

anyone with some actual data? or will this thread be an opportunity for an over blown opinion fest?
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:28 am quote
I've driven both types (the classic ie and the new hpe versions).

The hpe feels quicker off the line initially (up to about 50km/h or 30mph) BUT seems to run out of steam at the top.

I highly suspect that the main diff is just a slight ECU tune (probably for emissions reasons), but cannot verify this.

My butt dyno says that a Malossi cam in the ie does more throughout the entire powerband than the hpe.
Enthusiast
Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:04 am quote
sbaert wrote:
I've driven both types (the classic ie and the new hpe versions).

The hpe feels quicker off the line initially (up to about 50km/h or 30mph) BUT seems to run out of steam at the top.

I highly suspect that the main diff is just a slight ECU tune (probably for emissions reasons), but cannot verify this.

My butt dyno says that a Malossi cam in the ie does more throughout the entire powerband than the hpe.
Interesting. Do you currently have the Malossi cam in your set up? If so, what other modifications were needed to use the cam? In the US, we don't have much intel on this as no one modifies these motors.
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:00 pm quote
I bought my MP3 used in the very beginning of 2016, but it had only 15 miles (24km) on the clock, and already had the cam installed so I've never experienced a stock ie MP3.

The only mods I have done is a Akrapovic slip on exhaust (without catalyst), and 23 gram rollers (4X21gr blue rollers and 4X25gr black rollers staggered).

It does have a bunch of other trinkets, but those are rather aesthetic in nature, such as the 2018 and up LED blinkers, gel seat, Bitubo adjustable shocks, etc, etc, etc.

The only reason I test drove the hpe version is because I was considering getting it for the reverse gear feature, but the price is not worth it IMO.
Hooked
2019 MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:23 am quote
sbaert wrote:
I bought my MP3 used in the very beginning of 2016, but it had only 15 miles (24km) on the clock, and already had the cam installed so I've never experienced a stock ie MP3.

The only mods I have done is a Akrapovic slip on exhaust (without catalyst), and 23 gram rollers (4X21gr blue rollers and 4X25gr black rollers staggered).

It does have a bunch of other trinkets, but those are rather aesthetic in nature, such as the 2018 and up LED blinkers, gel seat, Bitubo adjustable shocks, etc, etc, etc.

The only reason I test drove the hpe version is because I was considering getting it for the reverse gear feature, but the price is not worth it IMO.
I have an Hpe Advanced and I will admit that Topend is a bit disappointing,but Takeoff is a blast and handling in the curves is WOW! I mainly got the Advanced Modell to help me back that heavy girl on an incline .
Enthusiast
Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:36 am quote
sbaert wrote:

Oh, wow. Only 15miles and already was torn apart to install the cam? Sounds like no time was wasted.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:24 am quote
its serveral things another airfilter different tune and a different drive by wire system

and no you can't put the new tune on a older ECU
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:02 am quote
Scarabeo500ie wrote:

Oh, wow. Only 15miles and already was torn apart to install the cam? Sounds like no time was wasted.
Well, that was the 1st owner's doing. He paid about 12.5K Euro for a bunch of add on stuff at time of purchase such as Piaggio alarm, Piaggio top case and mount, Piaggio tall windscreen, Piaggio handle bar covers, Piaggio GPS mount with TomTom Rider and integrated charging dock, PMP system, aluminum floor boards, heated grips, winter blanket, heating element for winter blanket, bike cover, etc, etc, etc.

Funny thing is he never got around to really using it, but he was a Vespa collector with numerous toys. The MP3 was like the round pig in a square hole to him, didn't really fit in for him, and he admitted it was a impulse buy. I came along about 7 months later in the midst of winter, and saved nearly 5K.

And some of those accessories such as the winter blanket, bike cover, etc. I have never used. Tried the blanket once, didn't like it. Felt claustrophobic. I freak out if I can't put my feet down. I never use the tilt lock mechanism either other when parking it short term. But maybe those are just mental scars from decades of riding "conventional".
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:09 pm quote
Sounds like a really really good bargain! Well done!
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1745s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0550s) ][ Debug on ]