Heated grips or heated gloves?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
2012 lxv 150
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:12 pm quote
Hey everyone, I wanted to seek some advice on the best way to proceed. I have a vespa 150 and drive almost year round. Iím debating installing heated grips or buying heated gloves. Both would require electrical work, as the 150 has no port to plug in heated gloves. I have muffs, but still need an additional heating source for the coldest months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:38 pm quote
Neither, heated liners work best. Trust me on this , I have a LOT of experience with winter riding. FWIW heated grips + liners or gloves worked best. 2 of my 3 bikes have heated grips but the heated glove liners really are the winner for serious cold riding. Finger tips being kept warm is key and with heated grips that really isn't possible as you do need to use the brake(s) and clutch (if applicable).

http://powerinmotion.ca/Products/Heated-Wear

They are mentioned in this thread:

How cold is too cold to ride?
GTS
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:40 pm quote
I prefer heated grips for convenience, but my hands donít get easily cold.

The best way to find out what works for you, might be to try different set-ups.
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:24 pm quote
Im on the look-out for battery powered heated gloves. You need a good stator in order to power heated grips, and the scooter grade heated grips dont get warm enough to me. Plug-in heated gloves are nice but I dont wanna mess around with the wires inside the jacket and sleeves anymore. Those are my findings/opinions.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:38 pm quote
sc00ter wrote:
Im on the look-out for battery powered heated gloves. You need a good stator in order to power heated grips, and the scooter grade heated grips dont get warm enough to me. Plug-in heated gloves are nice but I dont wanna mess around with the wires inside the jacket and sleeves anymore. Those are my findings/opinions.
I didn't know scooters had specific grade of heated grips?

Guess the one I bought for a motorcycle won't work as well, dam they have been on for 10 years now.
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:41 pm quote
Oxford has scooter specific heated grips for "weaker" stators. I've personally never used the scooter specific ones, but Oxfords site list the motorcycle ones as "suitable and confirmed" for my old Zuma 125 and they were totally useless. They just got barely warm.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:10 pm quote
Good idea to check the power output of your Stator. I've no idea what that is on the 150. Once you know that you can better decide what option to go for.

As said, Oxford makes specific heated grips for lower powered scooters. These use up to 3.2amps of power on the full heat setting. These work very well for most folks and are very easy to fit. But in a very very cold climate you may find them insufficient.

My own GTS300 2016 model has a 400w stator. So after doing the math I determined I could run Oxfords full power Touring heated grips which use up to 3.9amps on full power. They get very very toasty and work well even with heavy duty riding gloves. In fact on a longish run they get so hot that the whole glove including the back gets warm throughout even on a very cold morning cruising at 60mph.

Most of the time I can ride with summer gloves even in coldest of winter because of my powerful heated grips. Heated liners, I think those also would work well but I have no experience of them.

But check your Stator output in the workshop manual. That's the first thing, then decide.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:35 am quote
The Oxford grips work well but the quality is quite poor. The wires look impressive but they are mostly insulation with very little conductor.

My strong preference is Hot Grips brand, made in the USA and very high quality. For the controller I have used the Heattroller solid state continuously variable controller

As for capacity, the 150 Vespas handle heated grips without difficulty.

I have never used muffs, but have read here on MV that nothing beats heated grips plus muffs.

I borrowed Harbingerís heated glove liners this spring when I rode my 2016 GTS back to Toronto after purchasing it in Montreal. They worked great. The only issue was the length of the ride (500+ kms). The battery gave out with 175 kms to go and I was too lazy to pull over and plug in the spare. The other issue is fishing the wires from the gloves to the power source.
Ossessionato
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:57 am quote
The reason Oxfords have a lot of insulation is to protect the current carrying conductor wire. The conductor wire only has to carry 12v 3.2 or 3.9amps (depending on which ones you choose). You do not need a heavier duty conductor wire inside as this will reduce the voltage and is totally unnecessary. In addition, the thinner conductor is more flexible and resistant to breakage than a thick one would be. Oxford grips years ago were not the same good quality that they are now. And most faults that used to occur is because folks didn't fit them right and allowed too short a cable protrusion on the throttle side. Over the years this caused the inner cable to break because of the constant throttle movement and harsh cable angle on that side. Other makes had this issue too. They have improved this aspect with further reinforcement a few years ago. I've had mine in constant use for the 2.5yrs on my Vespa and I've used them for years on lots of other bikes. I fitted them to all my customer bikes without any problems. I'm assuming the ones sold in the States are the same good quality standard as the ones made over here.

Of course, there are other good makes out there too.

Edit: My freind who is a Vespa dealer says, Vespa say you should use up to 3.2amp current draw for the 150 Vespa's. The 300's will manage ok on the 3.9amp grips. Mine are the 3.9am grips and work fine with no battery issues.
Hooked
20106 Piaggio BV 350
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:13 am quote
Why not get heated gloves that are battery powered instead of wired in gloves? I like heated grips, when the temps are in the 50s, below that heated gloves help a lot. Joe Rocket and Fly Racing make some good ones.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:03 am quote
sc00ter wrote:
Oxford has scooter specific heated grips for "weaker" stators. I've personally never used the scooter specific ones, but Oxfords site list the motorcycle ones as "suitable and confirmed" for my old Zuma 125 and they were totally useless. They just got barely warm.
if you want good heated grip you need HOTGRIPS brand you can find them on amazon now, they use to sell direct but changed a few years ago to amazon. They have the best warranty in heated grips and they don't wear out.

Every set of oxfords I have ever seen are junk after a couple years.

approx 3.0 amps
http://www.hotgrips.com/store.php?crn=203&rn=121&action=show_detail

here is a great article on hot grips founder Jim Hollander and how he came up with heated grips.
http://www.hotgrips.com/pdfs/story_Hot_Grips.pdf

Last edited by old as dirt on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:14 am quote
David Masse wrote:
The Oxford grips work well but the quality is quite poor. The wires look impressive but they are mostly insulation with very little conductor.

My strong preference is Hot Grips brand, made in the USA and very high quality. For the controller I have used the Heattroller solid state continuously variable controller

I have never used muffs, but have read here on MV that nothing beats heated grips plus muffs.

I borrowed Harbingerís heated glove liners this spring when I rode my 2016 GTS back to Toronto after purchasing it in Montreal. They worked great. The only issue was the length of the ride (500+ kms). The battery gave out with 175 kms to go and I was too lazy to pull over and plug in the spare. The other issue is fishing the wires from the gloves to the power source.
The trick is you can plug both batteries in at once . Yeah the skeleton can be a bit of a pain. Getting the adapter for the cigarette lighter soon as I have power up to the bars on the Ural. Also getting the bark busters and winter tires put on this week.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:46 am quote
I've had many htd grips on BMW MC's , nice but not what saves your hands.
A htd grip cannot be felt through an actual winter glove.
To avoid frostbite fingers type of cold get htd gloves is my opinion, many are battery now days.
For occasional use you could use chemical hand warmers from Walmart, etc. which also allows using gloves you already own. Probably the cheaper solution IMO.
If your pockets are kind of deep, Warm & Safe has a new htd rain jacket I saw in Rider magazine. They sell the gloves too.
I get by fine with my winter gloves-Olympic brand. I've worn them on a snowmobile below zero, that said I'm old and hands chill more easily now.
Addicted
2018 LIBERTY 150S
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:23 am quote
I ride through winter in Ohio. On 2 small 150/163cc scoots.
No screen, no muffs, no heated grips.
Not plugging anything in to these small electrical systems. (I want a good start on a cold day miles from home!)
Volt makes a 7V glove liner - too small for me.

Have had warm hands for 7 yrs with 3 sets of these Gerbing 7V liners, worn under leather motorcycle gauntlets.
If you have 10" palms.....these work great and are on sale. Do tape down the connecting wires to reduce as much flexing as possible.

https://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbing-heated-glove-liner.html?

If I could not find another good 7V liner, or if I needed to ride more than 3 hours - I was prepared to go with a 12V liner (or glove) wired to an always recharged 12Ah, 12V battery carried under the seat.

Chemical heat packs over-heat one part of hand, freezing the remainder, bulky too.

O.S.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:11 am quote
Kantuckid wrote:
I've had many htd grips on BMW MC's , nice but not what saves your hands.
A htd grip cannot be felt through an actual winter glove.
To avoid frostbite fingers type of cold get htd gloves is my opinion, many are battery now days.
For occasional use you could use chemical hand warmers from Walmart, etc. which also allows using gloves you already own. Probably the cheaper solution IMO.
If your pockets are kind of deep, Warm & Safe has a new htd rain jacket I saw in Rider magazine. They sell the gloves too.
I get by fine with my winter gloves-Olympic brand. I've worn them on a snowmobile below zero, that said I'm old and hands chill more easily now.
Good points especially the one about heated grips not working well with winter gloves. The BMW factory installed heated grips are great but with any of my heavy riding gloves you don't really notice the heat. I guess there is the benefit that you aren't gripping cold rubber but that's about it. What I do like about them is they turn off with the engine. On the Ural I need to remember to turn the heated grips off as they are an aftermarket product. They do get hotter than the BMW grips though.

Finger tips can get dangerously cold awfully quick on a bike without some kind of heat source or very good wind blockage combined with warm gloves. Heated grips are fine but you will want muffs to block the wind or your fingertips will freeze especially in urban riding where you are on the brakes/clutch all the time.
Ossessionato
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:17 am quote
I find using my summer gloves with my heated grips is fine down to zero degrees 'C' even on a long run. Below zero I use my winter gloves. But you only get the full heat with winter gloves after 6-7 miles of riding with the heavier duty heated grips, but then the advantage is that as you keep riding the heat spreads around the glove, even to the back to a degree, but that takes 15 miles or more depending how cold it is. That's no good if it's very very cold and you only want to go 5-6 miles.

I often ride a 100 miles in zero degrees without issues of cold hands or fingers. I don't have wind defectors or a screen that deflects wind from my hands (mine is the Vespa mid height screen) but the heated grips are still fine. No cold hands ever. But here in East Anglia where I live temps don't often go down below -8 degrees in winter.
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:55 am quote
If you have heated grips - they are always with you, no matter what. Heated gloves or liners - there if you remember them.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:36 am quote
My heated grips did the trick nicely even with winter gauntlets, just needed to run them on high if it was really cold.

I don't feel like installing heated grips on my new GTS.

So far, I haven't installed 12 volt outlets on the left kneepad either. I plugged a tiny USB hub into the Vespa USB port and use that to power my GPS and iPhone. The only problem is that the output of that USB port is anemic.

Maybe I'll bite the bullet, install dual kneepad outlets like I had on my 2010 GTS and then buy glove liners or Gerbing gloves IF I can hook them up to the kneepad outlet and avoid running the wires through my jacket.

Food for thought.
Ossessionato
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:39 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
David Masse wrote:

The trick is you can plug both batteries in at once . Yeah the skeleton can be a bit of a pain. Getting the adapter for the cigarette lighter soon as I have power up to the bars on the Ural. Also getting the bark busters and winter tires put on this week.
Sean does mean that on the Ural you will plug the liners into the outlet without running the wires through your jacket sleeves?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:47 am quote
Heated grips and handle bar muffs. Then you can wear thin gloves
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:33 am quote
David Masse wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
David Masse wrote:

Sean does mean that on the Ural you will plug the liners into the outlet without running the wires through your jacket sleeves?
David, yup, that's the plan. There is a 12 V adapter I can purchase for the glove liners then split off from there. I may need to play around a little bit to not use the skeleton system but will at least not be limited to how long the batteries last or worry about keeping them charged. On my bars I have the standard cigarette lighter adapter and USB.
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:15 am quote
i have heated grips on my motorcycle ...i have a pair of gerbing heated gloves as well...

i agree with the above posters...grips are convenient but arent as warm as gloves (backs of hands)

i havnet tried the liners but i prefer the heated gloves over heated grips for real cold days....granted i dont usually go that far....

i also use heated socks and a heated vest...both which are battery power...i dont think my lil 50cc system will be happy with more than just gloves at medium heat...
Ossessionato
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:53 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
David Masse wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
David Masse wrote:

David, yup, that's the plan. There is a 12 V adapter I can purchase for the glove liners then split off from there. I may need to play around a little bit to not use the skeleton system but will at least not be limited to how long the batteries last or worry about keeping them charged. On my bars I have the standard cigarette lighter adapter and USB.
Excellent... it would be great if you posted your setup once you figure it out.
Ossessionato
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:02 pm quote
David Masse wrote:
My heated grips did the trick nicely even with winter gauntlets, just needed to run them on high if it was really cold.

So far, I haven't installed 12 volt outlets on the left kneepad either. I plugged a tiny USB hub into the Vespa USB port and use that to power my GPS and iPhone. The only problem is that the output of that USB port is anemic.

Maybe I'll bite the bullet, install dual kneepad outlets like I had on my 2010 GTS and then buy glove liners or Gerbing gloves IF I can hook them up to the kneepad outlet and avoid running the wires through my jacket.

Food for thought.
David, in case you are interested, this is my heated grip setup. These are the really hot heavy duty ones. The Oxfords have been designed to be wired directly to the battery, or you can integrate them into the wiring harness. It makes little difference. Mine are directly to the battery. The left front knee pad is an excellent place to mount the controller but you could mount it elsewhere.

IMG_20191106_145901730.jpg
Oxford Smart Controller

Ossessionato
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:52 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
David Masse wrote:

Food for thought.
David, in case you are interested, this is my heated grip setup. These are the really hot heavy duty ones. The Oxfords have been designed to be wired directly to the battery, or you can integrate them into the wiring harness. It makes little difference. Mine are directly to the battery. The left front knee pad is an excellent place to mount the controller but you could mount it elsewhere.
Very nicely done.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:40 am quote
Got the Barkbusters and winter tires on yesterday. Man did I need it! And the heated glove liners. Had 2 hour highway ride in well bellow zero c tempts not to mention at night. Fortunately had a pair of heavy rain pants to throw on to block the wind a bit and Icebreaker merino wool long underwear. Today I am out shopping for snow pants. Never realized how well the skirts work on the bikes until now. Sadly the one bike I have that laughs at snow and slush doesn't have a skirt option.

4FBC4611-48E1-4016-92D9-3C4D0BD249D5.jpeg

Ossessionato
2011 GTS 300 Super 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:24 pm quote
I can plus in my vest directly into the scooter and control the vest and the headed gloves. Works like a charm.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1658s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0378s) ][ Debug on ]