P200 engine into PX150. Few extra final issues resolved
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Addicted
63 Lambretta LI 125 series 3, 71 Sprint Veloce , 2005 Vespa PX150, 1979 P200E
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:15 am quote
This should be my last topic. I think that I finally resolved the final issues that I was having since I did a P200E into a PX150. This is sort of a "part 2" of another topic that I opened a few weeks back but let me recap.

I found by accident that my P200 engine had the wrong studs installed. I had the carburetor studs that mount on to of the engine case way too long, they were like 2 1/4" long which is roughly .75" longer that what it suppose to be.

I noticed that overtime that I was trying to remove the carburetor to resolved other nightmare issues the bolts holding the carburetor were coming "hot", that is because of the friction. Not only the studs were the wrong size but they were also stripped so therefore the hollow M7 bolts were not pushing down and properly sealing the carburator.

Additionally, on my nightmare of swapping carburetors trying to resolve the high idle it made the situation worse. One of the times I fully disassembled the carburetor and soaked in a chemical but I left out the idle jet that goes inside the float chamber.

All the hardware carburetor studs and carburetor bolts washers and locking washers have been replaced and it fixed all my issues. Now when I revote engine the RPMs no longer stay high between shifts, the engine now revs freely like a 2 stroke motocross bike.

Hopefully my history can help another person out there with a similar struggle. The way I found the issue was by noticing the hot carb bolts every time they were going in and out, it didn't make any sense, I knew something was stripped.
Addicted
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:08 pm quote
I hit my personal best. I pegged the speedometer slightly pass 80mph (I would say 82mph).

1) Stock cylinder with just a sito plus 58 MPH indicated
2) With a Malossi 166cc , 26 Carb and sito plus 72 mph indicated 75 mph tucked (sometimes)
3) With the Malossi 210cc (P200 engine and gearing) 82mph indicated on the speedometer
Molto Verboso

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:36 pm quote
Rather than keep creating new topics for the exact same scooter, it would probably be much better to just have one thread. It makes it much easier for the reading audience to track along with the back story. It also makes it easier for whoever creates the thread to find it easier in the future. Me being part of the forum, I want to be able to enjoy everyone’s projects, questions, day to day happenings, and even Ebeth’s selfies. When multiple threads are created for the same portion of the scooter by the same person, (such as multiple threads for the same cylinder, or multiple threads for the same stock 20/20 carb) it gets frustrating to pick through it all and try to find the previous posting to see what the back story was. Postings like that, I hope get lost way down the page never to return again (is how I feel).

-I’m not trying to rip on you whatsoever, I’m just trying to bring up a recent trend here on the forum.

Right then, back to 200cc in a “modern” PX150 frame!
Glad you found out what was causing it to run poorly. Oh, and the speedos on the PX are flippin’ liars. If I remember correctly, 55mph indicated is actually closer to around 47mph on the GPS. I did calibrate the speedo on one of my ‘05 PXs to be just about dead on. 30mph indicated is a true 30, and 73mph indicated is a true 73. On my ‘05 PX215, I have not calibrated the speedo yet. I have buried the needle at around 85-90 on the speedo, but the GPS still showed only 73mph. Go figure...
Addicted
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:48 am quote
^^^ I value your feedback in a positive way, thanks for your opinion. I was actually 50/50 about opening a new topic. I will contact the administrator and move this topic to the other one that I created.
Molto Verboso

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:27 am quote
I’m glad you took it in a good way. Both of your threads are pretty good, but when they’re spit up, one of the threads will usually get lost in the vast amount of pages.
Cheers!
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1399s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0241s) ][ Debug on ]