LX150 noise and smell
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Enthusiast
GTS 300 SS, LX150, Stella 150
Joined: 02 Sep 2019
Posts: 50
Location: Florida
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:10 pm quote
I replaced the stock rollers with Dr. Pulley 8.5g about 150 miles ago. Initially it ran really smooth, no noise etc. Now I'm getting a weird noise that comes on at about 35mph or say when I let off the throttle at low cruising speed. Once I stop and shut off the scoot there's a weird smell. Not sure if I got defective rollers? I made sure that they went in the correct way.

Wondering if anyone on here has had similar luck with Dr. Pulley sliders?

Thanks!
Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 409
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:56 am quote
What did you find when you opened the CVT?
Enthusiast
GTS 300 SS, LX150, Stella 150
Joined: 02 Sep 2019
Posts: 50
Location: Florida
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:19 am quote
Opening the CVT today.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 SS, LX150, Stella 150
Joined: 02 Sep 2019
Posts: 50
Location: Florida
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:00 pm quote
Pinkscooter wrote:
What did you find when you opened the CVT?


IMG_2451.JPG

IMG_2452.jpg

Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 2843
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:09 pm quote
Smell? What does it smell like? Burning rubber? Oil? Gasoline? Wet dog? Rollers don't smell, and those Dr. Pulleys look all right.

What does the rest of the CVT look like? Belt? (How long since it's been changed?) Dust in the CVT air filter? Oil or grease in the case? Burned clutch pads? (Clean the clutch bell while you're in there.)
Enthusiast
GTS 300 SS, LX150, Stella 150
Joined: 02 Sep 2019
Posts: 50
Location: Florida
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:14 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Smell? What does it smell like? Burning rubber? Oil? Gasoline? Wet dog? Rollers don't smell, and those Dr. Pulleys look all right.

What does the rest of the CVT look like? Belt? (How long since it's been changed?) Dust in the CVT air filter? Oil or grease in the case? Burned clutch pads? (Clean the clutch bell while you're in there.)
I'd say the smell is closest to a burning rubber of some sort. Thanks for verifying the sliders are in right.

I replaced the belt 150miles ago so that's new. CVT air filter was replaced but when I replaced it there was oil in the case. I cleaned the clutch bell and pads while I had it apart.
Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 409
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:36 am quote
The only rubber in there is the belt and some small o-rings and seals in the clutch. Does the belt show signs of wear? Is the clutch operating normally? It could be binding on the belt.
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 1762
Location: Latina (Italy)
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:49 am quote
Have you lubricated the rollers with the appropriate grease?
Enthusiast
GTS 300 SS, LX150, Stella 150
Joined: 02 Sep 2019
Posts: 50
Location: Florida
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:03 am quote
Attila - I didn't realize the sliders needed grease. If so what kind?

Pinkscooter - The new belt shows no signs of wear.

Thanks!!
Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Joined: 29 Jun 2016
Posts: 737
Location: Toronto
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:00 am quote
Attila wrote:
Have you lubricated the rollers with the appropriate grease?
I do not think grease of any kind is required anywhere within the variator cover (especially rollers and belt).
Enthusiast
GTS 300 SS, LX150, Stella 150
Joined: 02 Sep 2019
Posts: 50
Location: Florida
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:13 am quote
berto wrote:
Attila wrote:
Have you lubricated the rollers with the appropriate grease?
I do not think grease of any kind is required anywhere within the variator cover (especially rollers and belt).
Yeah seems like it would make a royal mess!
Molto Verboso
Primavera ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300
Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 1407
Location: Berlin
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:16 am quote
Check your oil level. Your belt could be coming out too far, rubbing against the case and burning away the oil gasket.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 SS, LX150, Stella 150
Joined: 02 Sep 2019
Posts: 50
Location: Florida
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:31 am quote
Der Blechfahrer wrote:
Check your oil level. Your belt could be coming out too far, rubbing against the case and burning away the oil gasket.
Checked oil level and seems fine - hard to read on the dipstick IMO. The motor was warm when I checked it and the smell was different than the other smell. I did replace the clutch spring to white. Wonder if itís too much?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 8635
Location: Annapolis, MD, USA
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:38 am quote
My speculative guess would be that -- when the variator was reassembled after installing the Dr. Pulleys -- the thin spacer washers on the crankshaft were replaced in the wrong order or in the wrong position (or omitted altogether). This might cause the belt to ride higher than normal in the driving pulley when the weights are at their maximum outward extension at the highest engine rpm.

If the belt rides too high in the driving pulley, it may well rub on the inside of the transmission case as others have suggested... producing the burnt rubber smell and the noise. If this is happening, the rub marks should be visible below the variator pulley.

Such rubbing could also be caused by using a new non-OEM drive belt that is slightly wider than spec. That belt you put in 150 miles ago may be the problem. I doubt that a stronger clutch spring would cause it, as that should increase belt tension slightly.
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 1762
Location: Latina (Italy)
Enthusiast
GTS 300 SS, LX150, Stella 150
Joined: 02 Sep 2019
Posts: 50
Location: Florida
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:55 am quote
Silver Streak wrote:
My speculative guess would be that -- when the variator was reassembled after installing the Dr. Pulleys -- the thin spacer washers on the crankshaft were replaced in the wrong order or in the wrong position (or omitted altogether). This might cause the belt to ride higher than normal in the driving pulley when the weights are at their maximum outward extension at the highest engine rpm.

If the belt rides too high in the driving pulley, it may well rub on the inside of the transmission case as others have suggested... producing the burnt rubber smell and the noise. If this is happening, the rub marks should be visible below the variator pulley.

Such rubbing could also be caused by using a new non-OEM drive belt that is slightly wider than spec. That belt you put in 150 miles ago may be the problem. I doubt that a stronger clutch spring would cause it, as that should increase belt tension slightly.
Spot on assessment. When reassembling the CVT I noticed one of the two shims was bore out in the middle so I didn't bother replacing it. I used the other shim washer in its place but I now have a feeling it might not be doing the trick. I'm assuming thats what could be causing the issue?

The belt I used is original Piaggio.

Just called ScooterWest and ordered the 2 shims. Wont ride the scoot again till I have it all together. Thanks again!!!
Enthusiast
GTS 300 SS, LX150, Stella 150
Joined: 02 Sep 2019
Posts: 50
Location: Florida
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:18 am quote
Quick update - ended up installing doubling up washers on the inner variator side and the noise has gone away. The smell is still there but assuming its just a matter of time?

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG

Hooked
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200
Joined: 25 Sep 2019
Posts: 105
Location: Wichita
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:31 pm quote
Attila wrote:
Have you lubricated the rollers with the appropriate grease?
What? No grease please. Final.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 5933
Location: New Zealand
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:54 pm quote
Whats with all the scratching?
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1683s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0402s) ][ Debug on ]