Ebay for parts
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Enthusiast
Molested & Abused 2003 Stella 2T
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:07 am quote
So I'm kind of a tech dinosaur, apologies for the obvious. When I first got into Vespas in the late 1990s, Ebay was the place to go for random used bits and pieces (and even full scoots). Now that I have more money than I did in those poor-student days, I tend to automatically order from Scooterwest or SIP. (Back then, Scooterworks was the bomb; they still sent out that amazing print catalog; now of course they kind of suck).

Anyway, I have recently gotten back to looking occasionally at Ebay for scooter bits that I would like to add to my collection (most recently I could use an LML oil-injected reed block; or some good-condition piaggio gears).

I was shocked at how much Ebay has changed. Sure, lots of NOS LML stuff from India, but what happened to all of the random joes selling old used scooter crap? I seem to remember pages and pages of used Vespa stuff; now there is very little, comparatively.

Is there a one-stop online forum for that stuff anymore?
Molto Verboso

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:11 am quote
Yes, eBay was more awesome back then for buying parts in the US! I remember getting a good deal on an unused PX98 5 star disc brake kit. I think I paid around $275 for it back in 2002-03. Itís definitely more mis than hit. Thereís still good stuff on eBay UK that Iíve seen, but thatís on the other side of the pond.
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200, Rusty Bluebadge
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:12 am quote
Facebook is now the go to.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/VintageScooterClassifieds/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/VintageScooterCommunityClassifieds/

Of course scoot.net but most of that activity has moved to facebook. From there you can see other small groups for specific Vespa's or categories that have items for sale.
Enthusiast
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:29 pm quote
that is too bad, I really hate Facebook! I get stressed out even thinking about logging into it.
Enthusiast
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:51 am quote
yackee wrote:
that is too bad, I really hate Facebook! I get stressed out even thinking about logging into it.
i ditched facebook a couple of years ago after i realised what a mire of falsety it was
Enthusiast
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:53 am quote
Re: Ebay for parts
yackee wrote:
bay for scooter bits that I would like to add to my collection (most recently I could use an LML oil-injected reed block; or some good-condition piaggio gears).
what particularly do you need, can you be specific in the gears? then you could post on the "lend a hand" post, someone is sure to have the spares you are after. i have many gearboxes. but am over the other side of the pond so postage could make the parts uneconomic to you
Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:22 am quote
I'm in agreement with Yackee and Gravelrash re: Facebook. In the UK, the classified section of Scootering magazine sometimes comes up trumps, and there are regular parts fairs around the country. Having said that, the UK is a small place, whereas a parts fair in some distant part of the US might be too far for you to travel.

Keep your eye on eBay and set some triggers (saved searches), but be very sharp when it comes to origin and price. I bought a complete genuine PX125 gearbox recently which was excellent and the price was right. I'm currently on the lookout for a PX Disc headset bottom. One will come along eventually and I'll pounce if it's in A1 condition, but I can very easily disregard the myriad of damaged and Indian ones. If you need something right now, you're more likely to not find what you need, pay too much for it, or end up with an origin or quality compromise.
Molto Verboso
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Mal 177 MKIII in pieces
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:41 am quote
I deleted FB a year or so ago, but then realized I needed it to access those vintage scooter sales groups, so I created an account only for that. And I never use FB, except when I am specifically looking for something not found on craigslist, here or scoot.net. That account has zero friends and no info added to it.
Enthusiast
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:34 am quote
Re: Ebay for parts
Gravelrash2004 wrote:
yackee wrote:
bay for scooter bits that I would like to add to my collection (most recently I could use an LML oil-injected reed block; or some good-condition piaggio gears).
what particularly do you need, can you be specific in the gears? then you could post on the "lend a hand" post, someone is sure to have the spares you are after. i have many gearboxes. but am over the other side of the pond so postage could make the parts uneconomic to you
For me it's not so much needing particular bits, its more about having a place to "surf" through what people are offering.
Enthusiast
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:07 am quote
PM'd
swa45 wrote:
I'm in agreement with Yackee and Gravelrash re: Facebook. In the UK, the classified section of Scootering magazine sometimes comes up trumps, and there are regular parts fairs around the country. Having said that, the UK is a small place, whereas a parts fair in some distant part of the US might be too far for you to travel.

Keep your eye on eBay and set some triggers (saved searches), but be very sharp when it comes to origin and price. I bought a complete genuine PX125 gearbox recently which was excellent and the price was right. I'm currently on the lookout for a PX Disc headset bottom. One will come along eventually and I'll pounce if it's in A1 condition, but I can very easily disregard the myriad of damaged and Indian ones. If you need something right now, you're more likely to not find what you need, pay too much for it, or end up with an origin or quality compromise.
Hooked
58 VB1T, 81 100 Sport
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:18 am quote
I feel the same as many other about FB, and removed myself from that and social media many years ago. However, I recently realized that FB is one of the go to places for scooter stuff in the USA. Many people use FB regularly and it is integrated into their every day lives, I am not one of those people. I did however create an account just for scooter stuff, to browse shop and buy/sell. I've made some good deals, and gotten in contact with old scooter friends as well.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1498s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0337s) ][ Debug on ]