Vespa gt 125 carb issues
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Member
et4
Joined: 19 Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Location: londinium
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:59 am quote
The carb cap and spring is damaged and bike obviously doesn't run. Does anyone know if I just need to buy a new carb or just the cracked cap.

$_86.jpg

Member
et4
Joined: 19 Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Location: londinium
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:04 am quote
Im guessing it would be full of sediment and damaged, but the bike is dirt cheap with low mileage.
Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 409
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:05 am quote
Pull the carb and see what critters have moved in to live. Check the diaphragm for tears or holes and give the carb a GOOD cleaning don't just show it the carb cleaner. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner run all of the metal, not the diaphragm through that. If run a wire through jets and other orifices on the carb and it it all cleans up well just get a new cap. Otherwise get a new carb.
Member
et4
Joined: 19 Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Location: londinium
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:59 am quote
Hey pink, cheers for the reply. I think that seems fairly logical, for 300 sterling I can't go wrong. New Carb is pricey at 140£ but so is everything when you're a student.
Hooked
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50,ET4
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 409
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:09 am quote
If money is tight but labor free, start by giving it a good clean. Iíll try and find you a YouTube video.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300(Sold) 2008 Silverwing "Train"/2006 GT200L "Lone Star"
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 418
Location: Texas
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:55 pm quote
IMHO, since the cap is cracked, the vacuum slide diaphragm has been exposed to the elements and may be dried out or have physical damage. A new one from SPC is $40.

Don't know about sourcing the cap, but there are a lot of CVK 30s out there. It's a pretty common small displacement motorcycle carburetor.

You might be able to repair that hole if there is enough material left to make a patch from fiberglas or JB Weld/epoxy and a piece of sheet metal or hard plastic.
Member
et4
Joined: 19 Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Location: londinium
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:17 pm quote
25BIKEZ wrote:
IMHO, since the cap is cracked, the vacuum slide diaphragm has been exposed to the elements and may be dried out or have physical damage. A new one from SPC is $40.

Don't know about sourcing the cap, but there are a lot of CVK 30s out there. It's a pretty common small displacement motorcycle carburetor.

You might be able to repair that hole if there is enough material left to make a patch from fiberglas or JB Weld/epoxy and a piece of sheet metal or hard plastic.
I can get the cap easily from dealerships here or Italy I think that's my best bet. It starts but bogs out quickly, ill empty the tank, give this carb a good seeing too and patch up that hole with some fibreglass. Also cheers I didn't know what carb the 2004 had that will be helpful.
Member
et4
Joined: 19 Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Location: londinium
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:19 pm quote
Pinkscooter wrote:
If money is tight but labor free, start by giving it a good clean. Iíll try and find you a YouTube video.
Brilliant thanks mate, I will keep you guys updated I will be viewing on sunday, fingers crossed its not stolen (London).
Hooked
2010 GTS 300(Sold) 2008 Silverwing "Train"/2006 GT200L "Lone Star"
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 418
Location: Texas
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:28 pm quote
tamewasp wrote:
Pinkscooter wrote:
If money is tight but labor free, start by giving it a good clean. Iíll try and find you a YouTube video.
Brilliant thanks mate, I will keep you guys updated I will be viewing on sunday, fingers crossed its not stolen (London).
It's also possible the carb is a Walbro. They were an alternate supplier, but a lot less common.

Hopefully it's a CVK, because there are a lot of those out there.

The manufacturer name will be cast into the side of the carb body, so you'll know for sure once you get the carb out.

Good luck.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1686s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0539s) ][ Debug on ]