P series Larger capacity fuel tank
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Author Message
Member
P200e
Joined: 29 Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Location: Orange , Ca
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:10 pm quote
Hello all . Can anyone give me contact info on the person who makes these . Pretty sure it was on facebook but cant find any info. Thanks for the help

64FBB1F3-9CAA-4F35-A473-B051ED46BBDD.png

Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1825

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:02 pm quote
Thats big innit!!!

Let me know if you find something out. I知 interested in getting one as well (I知 in the U.S.).
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: 30 Nov 2011
Posts: 7101
Location: Victoria, Australia
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:40 pm quote
It's David Hampson / Scooter Trumps. The FB pages with any info about the tank are set to private but maybe you can join the group. Or use the email address in the link that WDC provided.
Member
P200e
Joined: 29 Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Location: Orange , Ca
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:21 pm quote
Thank you for all your help !!!
Member
P200e
Joined: 29 Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Location: Orange , Ca
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:23 pm quote
My p200 really drinks the fuel and would like a bit more on board !well its not stock anymore . He he
Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1825

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:33 pm quote
For myself, I壇 be half tempted to see if Dave could build one of his long range 12 liter tanks using one of the SIP extra larger tanks (8.5L instead of the stock 7.5L). A grand total of close to 13L (3.4 gallons) would be pretty sweet.

I知 betting if someone had a PX that already had a Scooter Trumps 12L tank, a single saddle seat, a welder, and too much extra time on their hands, they could modify the ST 12 liter tank to hold as much as a true 19L (5 gallons)!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: 30 Nov 2011
Posts: 7101
Location: Victoria, Australia
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:37 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
For myself, I壇 be half tempted to see if Dave could build one of his long range 12 liter tanks using one of the SIP extra larger tanks (8.5L instead of the stock 7.5L). A grand total of close to 13L (3.4 gallons) would be pretty sweet.
SIP XL - that's the ones with the Rally top on them? Yeah that would be pretty cool. Dave did say on his page that he could do it.

Intersting he also says that he no longer makes them with the pump on the bottom, he sells his bracket to mount a pump next to the carb. I've never liked that, too messy for me. So mine is attached underneath the tank a bit like his.
There is a pump/tap combination that might be useful, because running a regular tap with the big tank is obviously not going to work. This one is for an LX among other things... it's vacuum operated, so I suppose it's 'off' in the absence of vacuum.


https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/fuel+tap+piaggio+_pi674595
Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1825

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:19 am quote
Ginch wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
For myself, I壇 be half tempted to see if Dave could build one of his long range 12 liter tanks using one of the SIP extra larger tanks (8.5L instead of the stock 7.5L). A grand total of close to 13L (3.4 gallons) would be pretty sweet.
SIP XL - that's the ones with the Rally top on them? Yeah that would be pretty cool. Dave did say on his page that he could do it.

Intersting he also says that he no longer makes them with the pump on the bottom, he sells his bracket to mount a pump next to the carb. I've never liked that, too messy for me. So mine is attached underneath the tank a bit like his.
There is a pump/tap combination that might be useful, because running a regular tap with the big tank is obviously not going to work. This one is for an LX among other things... it's vacuum operated, so I suppose it's 'off' in the absence of vacuum.


https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/fuel+tap+piaggio+_pi674595
Yup, the SIP XL is the one with the Rally top. I think there is seat clearance issues when you're using a modern plastic and foam PX seat? The old steel spring P series seats should fit just fine though. I'm not a fan of the early Vespa fuel caps though. The newer PX caps i find are a much superior system. I would probably end up modifying my tank to take a PX fuel cap.

When i was reading the long range tank install in my old Scootering magazine, they said that they had a very difficult time getting the tank to fit in the frame with the pump mounted at the bottom. They even tried removing the plastic drip tray to no avail. They finally mounted the pump front and center up top. And i agree with you Ginch about how "messy" it makes the engine look with the pump mounted there. I do like the idea of using a genuine Piaggio pump. As long as it's the correct pressure, and i can't see why it would not be.
Member
P200e
Joined: 29 Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Location: Orange , Ca
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:51 am quote
I actually own that Sip Xl tank and havent found one seat that fits . The stock P200 seat doesnt fit. The cross bar that is in the middle of the seat with the two rubber pads interferes with the tank . The cosa 2 seat doesnt work . A plastic bottom px/stella seat doesnt work . An last but not least my tsr zero cafe doesnt work either.
Ossessionato
1964 GS 160 MK II, 1967 Vespa GT, 1968 SS180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1964 Vespa VBB, 2006 Buddy 125, 2013 BMW C650GT
Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 2939
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:19 am quote
A Rally seat should work with that tank
Enthusiast
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Joined: 24 Jun 2019
Posts: 96
Location: 3rd Rock From the Sun
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:48 am quote
VSX1T wrote:
I actually own that Sip Xl tank and havent found one seat that fits . The stock P200 seat doesnt fit. The cross bar that is in the middle of the seat with the two rubber pads interferes with the tank . The cosa 2 seat doesnt work . A plastic bottom px/stella seat doesnt work . An last but not least my tsr zero cafe doesnt work either.
i got the same problem, none of the seats i want to use fit with mine either
Member
P200e
Joined: 29 Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Location: Orange , Ca
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:14 am quote
I get that a rally seat would fit. But i already had the stock seat plus the ones ive mentioned earlier. And didnt want to track down a rally seat as well . The majority of us are mix and match people trying to do things that didnt come factory. Not always but sometimes.i realize there are purists as there is in everything. But additions like a disc brake or sport tires sure make riding a pleasure not to mention a 260cc engine ha ha ha . but in total SIP style they are so vague about their description . How hard is it to put that new tank in a p body and at the very least put on the stock seat and see ??? Had they dimpled for the rubber pads it would have worked. And they possible would sell more .
Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1825

Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:11 am quote
VSX1T wrote:
I actually own that Sip Xl tank and havent found one seat that fits . The stock P200 seat doesnt fit. The cross bar that is in the middle of the seat with the two rubber pads interferes with the tank . The cosa 2 seat doesnt work . A plastic bottom px/stella seat doesnt work . An last but not least my tsr zero cafe doesnt work either.
If the fill cap got relocated to a different part of the Rally tank, do you think it would then fit under the metal or plastic P and PX seat? And could simply using a heat gun to reform portions of the plastic PX seat base work? I think I got rid of all my stock metal P seats because they were so uncomfortable. Now I just have a gob of the more comfy plastic PX seats.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: 30 Nov 2011
Posts: 7101
Location: Victoria, Australia
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:04 pm quote
I started fiddling about last night with an old tank and some cardboard... if I end up making one then I'll make it slightly shorter so the pump doesn't hit the bottom.

Of the 2 P frames I have here, both have a wiring hole & grommet on the battery side where the loom comes into the frame. That bit of the loom I think would interfere with the angle of the lower section of the tank. I think would need a bit more clearance as drawn here on the right. They are mid 90's and mid 2000's models. Do earlier ones have the wiring come through there?

Also the cowl lock mechanism on the battery side means the front would need to angle back a little for clearance, or at least be cut around.

Clipboard02.jpg

Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1825

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:52 pm quote
Ginch wrote:
I started fiddling about last night with an old tank and some cardboard... if I end up making one then I'll make it slightly shorter so the pump doesn't hit the bottom.

Of the 2 P frames I have here, both have a wiring hole & grommet on the battery side where the loom comes into the frame. That bit of the loom I think would interfere with the angle of the lower section of the tank. I think would need a bit more clearance as drawn here on the right. They are mid 90's and mid 2000's models. Do earlier ones have the wiring come through there?

Also the cowl lock mechanism on the battery side means the front would need to angle back a little for clearance, or at least be cut around.
Yes, the early P's have a wire loom on the battery side going through the frame, just like the later PX does. And i've thought of that same thing regarding the PX cowl locks. There is more room under there (underwear?) for a bigger tank on the early P. The PX panel cowl locks takes up a fair amount of space. I keep thinking about making a long range tank as well, but we shall see. I'm in no rush to get one. It's usually i get a hair brain idea to build something and i don't reemerge from my shop again until the project is complete. I do have a very large spare sheet of 16 gauge steel. The thickness is overkill, but it would make welding it easier.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 7339
Location: seattle/athens
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:19 pm quote
Really, you guys? Why hasn't somebody come up with one of these designed to fit the millions of largeframe Vespas, out of miracle lightweight leak proof, puncture proof, fireproof and economical material?

Why not doable for $100, please?

Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1825

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:56 am quote
V oodoo wrote:
Really, you guys? Why hasn't somebody come up with one of these designed to fit the millions of largeframe Vespas, out of miracle lightweight leak proof, puncture proof, fireproof and economical material?

Why not doable for $100, please?

I remember those from Boy Scout camp! I double any young man would be caught dead with one of those any more! Camelbacks are probably what everone is wearing nowadays.
Member
P200e
Joined: 29 Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Location: Orange , Ca
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:14 am quote
It may be possible to run the later plastic bottom seat if you cut out the middle rubber feet area the cap isnt a problem because those seats have a large area there

7DCEC280-49C6-42D8-AF65-C62A649D103F.jpeg

Member
P200e
Joined: 29 Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Location: Orange , Ca
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:15 am quote
Its not very much

05A75F54-4963-4DBD-ABE0-6D515B476D41.jpeg

Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1825

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:39 am quote
Thanks for those pics. I now see what the issue is. I知 guessing that if the rubber baby buggy bumpers are removed, that the outer portion of the seat base will sit directly on the scooter frame, which would wear holes in the seat cover and scuff the paint on the frame?
Member
P200e
Joined: 29 Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Location: Orange , Ca
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:54 am quote
Yes i think your right . Unless you made a frame or 田 shaped hoops then rivet them to the seat to support in a different place. Hope pics helped
Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1825

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:23 pm quote
Would notching out the tank (and rewelding) be a realistic option for getting the clearances needed for those seat rubber buffers?
Member
P200e
Joined: 29 Jul 2018
Posts: 28
Location: Orange , Ca
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:49 pm quote
Yes that would work perfect on the stock seat . I really dont think it would take that much to rework a plastic bottom seat . If i had more than one i would give it a go . My thought was buy the bigger tank pop it in bingo more fuel!! But no not so lucky . I figure if im going to jump through hoops i want the largest tank i can get .
Molto Verboso
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 1825

Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:03 pm quote
VSX1T wrote:
I figure if im going to jump through hoops i want the largest tank i can get .
I agree wholeheartedly on that!
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1620s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0285s) ][ Debug on ]