Change to moped laws in Texas
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:44 am quote
Back when I bought my first scooter you had to have a motorcycle license or a moped license - restricted time 30mph and sub 50cc, to ride anything in Texas. Apparently that has changed and you can now ride a 50 on a class C aka car license but you are still restricted to 49.9 cc and 30mph.

http://www.dps.texas.gov/msb/documents/vdrchart.pdf
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:36 am quote
Sure... I mean there are enough people riding out there on those stupid e-bikes why not open up the sub 50CC market to those with a drivers license? I guess the upside is some of those people may decide they like it and get a "real" motorbike and a class M license. Face it our numbers are dwindling and we need fresh blood.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:20 am quote
Lexington, KY nearest city to me, now has e-scooters for rent. Several hundred from the 1st comp0any & more coming.
Today's news there has a 31 yr old man who died from "accidentally" having entered the car lane from the bike lane, then he was run over multiple times by cars. Gruesome but that's the report. It was his first time on one.
They passed a law that cars must give a certain distance sideways to a bicycle in that lane-hard to enforce I'm certain. That law came after bicycle riders died.
Sponsor
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:28 am quote
yes, changed on Sept 1, this year. We had to email DPS for clarification, as some .gov sites still have old info.

Just a class C car license needed for mopeds. Must be titled and plated as a moped. DPS (state police) has a list of approved mopeds, and a way to get yours certified if not on the list. Must still have insurance, registration, state inspection, and a moped plate.

Those share-rental companies probably pushed for this...no license needed for those under 30mph. There are now 15k of those rental scoots in Austin now.

Piaggio is working on bringing the official 30mph speed restricted "moped" scooters to Texas for this reason.
Hooked

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:52 am quote
AF1 Racing wrote:
had to email DPS for clarification
Just curious . . did you also inquire if a Texas motorcycle dealer license is required to sell mopeds?

Walmart/SamsClub in SOME states are selling the Coleman (Geely) 50cc.
Sponsor
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:28 pm quote
tortoise wrote:
AF1 Racing wrote:
had to email DPS for clarification
Just curious . . did you also inquire if a Texas motorcycle dealer license is required to sell mopeds?

Walmart/SamsClub in SOME states are selling the Coleman (Geely) 50cc.
We didn't ask about that, but it should still require a license to sell them, since it has to be plated/titled/taxed and dealing with the certificate of origin is almost always a dealer-only item. Texas has some weird laws about dealers. Did you know Texas car and motorcycle dealers have to be closed either Saturday or Sunday due to old blue laws? But not boat/trailer or RV dealers.

I did ask about the titling side of it, and they referred me to the tax office. Typical govt agencies not talking to each other....we technically have no specific moped classification on the title paperwork, only class MC (motorcycle) and MS (motorscooter). MS is an older definition and is a hair different from moped from all I can find. It used to get you moped plates for your K-restricted license (gone now). The first one we sell/title will probably be a learning experience for the tax office. They mess up their own rules all the time.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1412s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0430s) ][ Debug on ]