FYI Pm tuning exhausts on ebay for cheap
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:51 pm quote
There's that one and another that's signifcantly more expensive.

And, because it came up, I just ordered a cheap decibel meter off Amazon, so I can do some field testing of my own.
Molto Verboso
1980 P125X, 1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:11 pm quote
Do you mean this one?
https://sip-scootershop.com/en/products/silencer+sip+performance+ng_20006c

If so, I think they are essentially the same silencer, just different surface material which I'm not sure if that affects the performance or sound.. maybe the sound levels, but is more a cosmetic thing. So you'd be spending twice as much for the look, not the performance or sound.

Excellent on the dB meter! If I had sponsorship, I'd get as many as possible and do a full blown video test with meter results. Alas, no one is sending me free silencers! So I'm eager to see if you do get any and what the results are! I'm in no rush to use this pipe, but I am curious what a box exhaust test results are, SIP Road 2.0/3.0/XL, etc. My Road XL is kinda the perfect volume level and sound for me in my neighborhood.
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:38 pm quote
I have a pretty comprehensive collection of exhausts at this point. I'll eventually test:
- SIP Road 2.0
- SIP RoadXL
- Knockoff JL Lefty
- PM tuning
- Stock Stella
- Stock-style 150 exhaust

I might have a Sito+, too. I'm not sure what's on my OG VBB motor off the top of my head.

I'll also do comparative baselining of the SIP RoadXL on my hot-rod LML motor vs. the SIP RoadXL on my not-as-hot-rod SprintV motor.

That's a fair amount of testing right there. I expect that I won't do any carb tuning with the changes, though, mostly just testing on the stand.
Hooked
58 VB1T, 68 SS180, 81 100 Sport
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:43 pm quote
I received my PM20 pipe today. Camein original PM Tuning box, but was repackaged inside. It only came with the main pipe, No header downtube or bracket.

The listing and associated photos did show the header as being included, but not the brackets; so I contacted the seller. They responded quickly and apologized, stating that this is believed to be the only/last one left; and likely that they dont have the header. The seller did offer a full or partial refund should they not be able to locate the piece. I let them know that I would be intereseted in keeping this pipe, with a partial refund enough to cover purchasing at minimum the header piece.

They will check inventory by Monday and advise. We corresponded a few times within an hour of receiving the shipment, so at the least I know they are on top of the communication. Anyone Stateside carry these pieces?

Stay tuned

IMG_9198.jpg

IMG_9199.jpg

IMG_9200.jpg
Pipe sans header and bracket

Molto Verboso
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:59 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:
I have a pretty comprehensive collection of exhausts at this point. I'll eventually test:
- SIP Road 2.0
- SIP RoadXL
- Knockoff JL Lefty
- PM tuning
- Stock Stella
- Stock-style 150 exhaust

I might have a Sito+, too. I'm not sure what's on my OG VBB motor off the top of my head.

I'll also do comparative baselining of the SIP RoadXL on my hot-rod LML motor vs. the SIP RoadXL on my not-as-hot-rod SprintV motor.

That's a fair amount of testing right there. I expect that I won't do any carb tuning with the changes, though, mostly just testing on the stand.
Awesome! I'm waiting to see this. I am planning on keeping the road XL on my tuned up stella for now as a commuter. It will be my only running scooter for a few months. But I am willing to try out the pm tuning exhaust i just got on it once I get another touring scoot built and running. Make the stella a fun ride instead of a commuter ride, once I have two running at once.

BTW, Geeklion, it looks like you bought the same one I did, but mine was the one with they used as photo for listing cause mine was exactly the one pictured with manifold. I also emailed him asking if he had the manifold for p150 pipe, which he said no. At least you'll get some money back if he can't find one for you, but maybe he'll drum one up. He's clearing house so everything is rock bottom pricing.
Hooked
2007 Stella 150
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:29 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:
The SIP silencers claim to have the same mounting configuration. That may even be true.

Given that the cost is something like:
- Standard SIP -- $75
- PM Tuning -- $110
- SIP Performance -- $140

I'd prefer to have some information before I blindly commit to anything.

I'm in a similar situation where I'd like something quieter than the noise levels I associate with my JL Knockoff's.
The silencer is $64.00 from PM Tuning, if you buy directly. Thought about buying a few and seeing if anyone else would be interested in them. Would save a bit on splitting shipping.

https://www.pmtuning.co.uk/pm-tuning-muffler-curved-tailpipe-anodised-silver
Hooked
58 VB1T, 68 SS180, 81 100 Sport
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:36 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
BTW, Geeklion, it looks like you bought the same one I did, but mine was the one with they used as photo for listing cause mine was exactly the one pictured with manifold. I also emailed him asking if he had the manifold for p150 pipe, which he said no. At least you'll get some money back if he can't find one for you, but maybe he'll drum one up. He's clearing house so everything is rock bottom pricing.
Swiss1939: I figured that's what happened. I now recognize your pipe from the listing photo. I'm sure they just got mixed up. These things happen. It seem's like they will take care of me one way or another, so I'm not worried.

Christopher_55934: I may be interested in a group order of the PM can. I'm also going to look further in to other options outside of the scooter world. Lots of cool stuff out there! And I like to have something different than the rest. Even though we've got ourselves a PM Tuning crew going on now haha
Ossessionato

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:47 pm quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
chandlerman wrote:
The SIP silencers claim to have the same mounting configuration. That may even be true.

Given that the cost is something like:
- Standard SIP -- $75
- PM Tuning -- $110
- SIP Performance -- $140

I'd prefer to have some information before I blindly commit to anything.

I'm in a similar situation where I'd like something quieter than the noise levels I associate with my JL Knockoff's.
The silencer is $64.00 from PM Tuning, if you buy directly. Thought about buying a few and seeing if anyone else would be interested in them. Would save a bit on splitting shipping.

https://www.pmtuning.co.uk/pm-tuning-muffler-curved-tailpipe-anodised-silver
I'm interested in their straight tip gold anodized silencer # PM1002S https://www.pmtuning.co.uk/pm-tuning-muffler-straight-tailpipe-anodised-gold I want one to install on my Lambretta GS...maybe even two? Perhaps we could get a "dealer price" if we bought enough from them at once?

And don't forget the silencer gasket. https://www.pmtuning.co.uk/pm-tuning-replacement-muffler-gasket-for-76mm-diameter-muffler

Last edited by whodatschrome on Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:51 pm quote
I'm looking at two of the straight tipped black anodized.
https://www.pmtuning.co.uk/pm1002bks
plus all the other mounting parts/manifold I need.
Hooked
2007 Stella 150
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:36 am quote
Lets See Who Wants What and Give it a Few Days
Let's see who wants what and give it a few days. I'm in the continental United States. For people in the continental US, I think it could make since, if we could get a group buy together. We could save on shipping long as you don't mind the extended wait times of me ordering. On their website it looks like an order is in the $30.00 range to ship to me. I would need to track down shipping boxes repackage and send out. Three or four of us wouldn't be to bad. My zip code is 55934 you can get a shipping estimate from there. I can email a list and ask about a group discount, I kind of doubt should get anything unless we wanted 10 of the same thing.
Molto Verboso
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:46 am quote
Here is another interesting silencer that may or may not work. Whistle for loudness and power characteristics by adding and subtracting 3"metal discs inside of it.

https://supertrapp.com/shop-products/universal/universal-3m-steel-dirt-bike
Hooked
2007 Stella 150
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:56 am quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Here is another interesting silencer that may or may not work. Whistle for loudness and power characteristics by adding and subtracting 3"metal discs inside of it.

https://supertrapp.com/shop-products/universal/universal-3m-steel-dirt-bike
I've used them before, you would need to get a flange welded on which really wouldn't be a big deal they are heavier, might need to create a mount of some type for the silencer also.
Molto Verboso
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:06 am quote
Another option I am seriously considering, if I get a membership to the local shared workshop space with metal fab tools this summer, is to fabricate my own silencer to try to make one that is quieter for the expansion chamber!

Saw some youtube videos of people making their own silencers, and a forum post elsewhere that suggested Gordon Jennings 2 stroke tuners handbook! Love that book, he has answers for everything I've ever wondered.

FYI, pages 66-72 detail specs on how to design a pipe and silencer.

I know this info is 40 yrs outdated, but I found two things in that section interesting, which I think it might be fun to combine and play with to see what kind of results I can get:

1.) he mentions his own experiments to have the silencer outlet tube inserted into the expansion cone a part of the way, instead of sticking fully outside the pipe sticking out 12" at the end of the pipe. His tests resulted in a noticeable sound deadening quality, as long as he didn't have the outlet pipe too far within the expansion chamber.

2.) Yamaha at the time had silencers with the inner outlet pipe blocked halfway through the silencer, which forced the incoming air out of the outlet pipe, into the larger silencer outer pipe, through the fiberglass packing by way of the breather holes in front of the walled off section of the outlet pipe to get around the block in the outlet pipe, back into the outlet pipe through breather holes on the other side of the walled off section.

I kindof want to mess around with both of these, by building my own silencer mounted to the pm pipe, having an outlet tube slide right inside the expansion pipes 25mm outlet, with breather holes drilled into that inner section, then the part of the silencer attached and extending beyond the expansion pipe, use the Yamaha style outlet forcing air into the packer material. I will try a longer/wider silencer with maybe newer materials instead of fiberglass that are better at deadening sound and will last longer.

Mocked up an example in photoshop quickly to demonstrate. Blue is the expansion pipe, everything else would be the silencer that bolts to the expansion pipe.

silencer_example.jpg

Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
[ Time: 0.1723s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0577s) ][ Debug on ]