Look What Genuine Will Be Selling Next
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Ossessionato
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:19 pm quote
An e-scoot that can do 45? That's good for an all around the city transport. But I am a little confused why it is pictured on a highway where the minimum speed is probably 50, with a speed limit of 70 or so.
Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:33 pm quote
Tierney wrote:
An e-scoot that can do 45? That's good for an all around the city transport. But I am a little confused why it is pictured on a highway where the minimum speed is probably 50, with a speed limit of 70 or so.
Like they say in commercials- Professional rider on a closed course.
Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:35 pm quote
I think this is going to be big.
I can see this as more than just for a city use.
There’s other places where the roads are no more than 45 MPH speed limit.
And you gents in London will appreciate the security feature.
Hooked
2012 LX150ie
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:44 pm quote
What is the projected price?
Did I miss it in the information?
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:45 pm quote
I've been following the NIU story and they seem to get many things right.

Quite nice specs... although 24 lbs batteries are still not something one would grap and go like a cup of coffee, but it's doable if they are easy to lift and place back.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:54 pm quote
... there seems to be little space on the platforms ...
The problem is always autonomy and recharge time, the speed can be managed.
Molto Verboso
Primavera ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 pm quote
One model goes up to 70 km/h, but only if two batteries are installled. There goes your underseat storage. When I saw how much room it takes to charge the batteries, I abandoned the idea. The charger is massive and you need a splitter, too.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:35 pm quote
Nope
I wonder if that 25 miles is like the 117 MPG my primavera is supposed to get?

"* The cruising miles on this website are all theoretical values. Actual cruising is affected by various factors such as load, temperature, wind speed, road surface, and operating habits.
Due to the characteristics of lithium batteries, after a long-term period of use, the maximum capacity of the battery will decrease. "

YeahNah.png

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:51 am quote
This technology will never be truly efficient until there is energy recovery whenever the twistgrip is closed and/or brakes applied. My Toyota car incorporates simulated engine braking whenever the accelerator pedal is released so any fuel used climbing an incline is partially recovered as electrical energy going downhill. if the brakes are also applied even more energy is recovered. When this is used on scooters the range will get better.
Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 pm quote
I saw these at AV in Lake Geneva this summer. They had two of the trim levels present at the event. The NGT I think is the top trim level with highest speed and greatest range.
’20 GTS 300 hpe SuperSport
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:24 pm quote
roadster wrote:
This technology will never be truly efficient until there is energy recovery whenever the twistgrip is closed and/or brakes applied. My Toyota car incorporates simulated engine braking whenever the accelerator pedal is released so any fuel used climbing an incline is partially recovered as electrical energy going downhill. if the brakes are also applied even more energy is recovered. When this is used on scooters the range will get better.
A version of the NIU scooters is deployed in New York City - https://gorevel.com/new-york/ - Austin and Washington DC, by Revel. The speed is restricted to 30mph and the scooters are recovering energy when braking. Because of the speed restriction, only a car drivers license is needed to rent them.

The drive-train system is fairly good and supplied by Bosch. The build quality isn’t up to lets say Vespa levels, but it’s decent and the scooters are great to use for short to medium trips within cities. I like the NIU scooters (and use them frequently for one-way trips) and can imagine that the models shown on the website are even better. Most trips within cities are short and at lower speeds, that’s what the NIU’s are built for.

Given the manufacturing volume that these Chinese factories are dealing with, I think it’s likely that their output will get better and better just like it happened with Japanese and Korean brands.
Molto Verboso
1980 P125X, 1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:49 pm quote
I was just about to say I think this is the same model as the revel rental scooters. Not for me in rental or purchase form. Thumbs down. I'd rather the Royal alloy electric they had a test version of on a scooter lab video a few months back.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:09 pm quote
The Way Things Stack Up Now:
First, I have fairly direct experience with the offshoot of this particular scoot. Revel has been using a version of it in Brooklyn and Long Island City this past year, with mostly good results, as a ride-share electric scooter (as in, a real scooter, as opposed to the e-push-scooters in use in various cities around the U.S.)

Second: I would seriously hope NIU improved things like throttle linearity and suspension for the private-sale version: in addition to matters on those two fronts, acceleration performance is decidedly mixed: I understand that you don't want to take a throttle-twitchy machine and hand it off to a tired University student as she moves from under the BQE.

Finally, it looks like Piaggio finally bumped up the top speed of the Elecctrica to 45mph.

revel01.jpg
Not bad, has some issues.

Last edited by amateriat on Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked

Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:32 pm quote
NIU tariff related article.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:36 am quote
tortoise wrote:
NIU tariff related article.
Good news for Genuine. I'm sure an added 25% tariff would have pretty much killed their plans.
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:02 am quote
Parked my LX in a mixed lineup of scooters this morning in front of the office. Would love to see a whole block of these instead of cars like in parts of some European cities.

9CFCF7B5-CB8A-4714-9743-CB222B968E7F.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:44 am quote
HollerAtchaSoy wrote:
Parked my LX in a mixed lineup of scooters this morning in front of the office. Would love to see a whole block of these instead of cars like in parts of some European cities.
That is interesting. Two of the four scooters are Vespas, and the other two are NIU Revels.
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:07 am quote
not to mention 4-5 other NIU Revels scattered around the block. Granted I work in an office of close to 1000 people who mostly fall in the older Gen-Z and younger Gen-X range age-wise and mostly live within the Revel's operating zone.
Ossessionato
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:08 pm quote
It's a Start
Yep, I ride 'em, and like 'em a bunch. Also love how popular they are in Brooklyn and LIC.

melodyIC02.jpg
Melody, hangin' with the Revels last weekend.

Ossessionato
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:30 pm quote
HollerAtchaSoy wrote:
My trip to Vienna two years back was scooter/moto Nirvana. This is how a city achieves a proper transportation balance.

viennacartrucktram.jpg
Everybody's on the same level...

_img_000000_000000_11101.jpg
…and on every block clusters of these are parked.

Hooked

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:42 pm quote
Hooked
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:49 pm quote
I got to check them out yesterday at Vespa Motorsport. Not my style but I can see others really liking them
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:54 pm quote
All 3 models of the Niu scooter are also on display at the Genuine dealer in Portland. I am impressed by the GT.
Hooked

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:32 pm quote
Interesting REDDIT distribution related comment . . .

"One interesting thing is that they said in the franchise agreement to sell them, they basically had to be OK with anyone else selling them too in the same market - so they weren't being given exclusive rights."

Also presently unknown is NIU parts resources other than Genuine . . for comparison, CSC Wiz.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:39 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
All 3 models of the Niu scooter are also on display at the Genuine dealer in Portland. I am impressed by the GT.
Sure, but WHY do they have to be so very ugly? Is there something abut batteries that make curves illegal? The function may work well but you need form. They basically look like an uglier version of the new Lambretta. I trust your judgement though so maybe they look better in person.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:48 pm quote
tortoise wrote:
Interesting REDDIT distribution related comment . . .

"One interesting thing is that they said in the franchise agreement to sell them, they basically had to be OK with anyone else selling them too in the same market - so they weren't being given exclusive rights."

Also presently unknown is NIU parts resources other than Genuine . . for comparison, CSC Wiz.
"the data service is not linked via your phone, it's direct to the scooter, and there's a charge for it. The first year or two (he wasn't sure, again lack of info) is included in scooter price, but then there will be a monthly charge going forward."

Hooked

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:10 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Sure, but WHY do they have to be so very ugly? Is there something abut batteries that make curves illegal? The function may work well but you need form. They basically look like an uglier version of the new Lambretta. I trust your judgement though so maybe they look better in person.
Well, styling is pretty much a matter of opinion. I don't think everyone objects to a utilitarian appearance. Then again, if you want Italian chic - there is the Elettrica. The problem there is paying $8,500 for the equivalent of a Primavera 50.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:50 am quote
the niu app features...the ratings on the app suck...

The NIU E-Scooter App provides users with comprehensive vehicle services, including:

• Vehicle: Remaining battery level and range estimate, GPS positioning, security alert, past routes, riding statistics and weather forecast;

• Service: Service station inquiry, intelligent service activation and inquiry;

• Me: Vehicle management, personal and binding information management, App Settings.

We would like to express our sincere appreciation to your patience and companionship. The more flexible NIU App is available now.

For more information, please visit niu.com.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/niu-e-scooter/id1257989182
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:53 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Well, styling is pretty much a matter of opinion. I don't think everyone objects to a utilitarian appearance. Then again, if you want Italian chic - there is the Elettrica. The problem there is paying $8,500 for the equivalent of a Primavera 50.
Yeah the Elettrica is way underpowered. The cEvolution at 14K is a much better buy. I'd actually consider one if they came here but have no way to plug in. The manager of the Motorrad here road one for a week at HO and said it was a blast and VERY fast off the line.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/urban_mobility/cevolution.html
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:15 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Yeah the Elettrica is way underpowered. The cEvolution at 14K is a much better buy. I'd actually consider one if they came here but have no way to plug in. The manager of the Motorrad here road one for a week at HO and said it was a blast and VERY fast off the line.

$14K for a bmw e-scooter is a better buy?...maybe for specs but def not for price...can buy a couple faster used bikes for that price
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:26 am quote
Point37 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:

$14K for a bmw e-scooter is a better buy?...maybe for specs but def not for price...can buy a couple faster used bikes for that price
Would those used bikes be electric?
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:55 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:

nope...but for $14K you could buy 1 used bike which will outperform the hell out of that 48hp 80mph bmw and use the rest of the money you saved on gas for a few years...apples to oranges but i don't see a many of these being sold in the US
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:19 am quote
Point37 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:

nope...but for $14K you could buy 1 used bike which will outperform the hell out of that 48hp 80mph bmw and use the rest of the money you saved on gas for a few years...apples to oranges but i don't see a many of these being sold in the US
No they won’t sell well in the US. You do realize people buy electric bikes for various reasons? Saving money is great but not always the decision maker. For some it’s the environment for others performance and often both. So while you’re idea saves money that is not what this is about. The anti BMW sentiment here is a little funny at times. The C series is doing fine it just doesn’t fit the North American mentality of what a “bike” is.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:12 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:

No they won’t sell well in the US. You do realize people buy electric bikes for various reasons? Saving money is great but not always the decision maker. For some it’s the environment for others performance and often both. So while you’re idea saves money that is not what this is about. The anti BMW sentiment here is a little funny at times. The C series is doing fine it just doesn’t fit the North American mentality of what a “bike” is.
i'm not anti bmw...i'm cheap ...i'm not brand loyal...i don't even own a vespa...i'll pick whatever does the job reliably with the most performance, lowest weight, most agility for the cheapest price that i can afford which is typically used so i don't have to take the depreciation hit...that's just me...to each their own...at the same time i do realize that people buy electric vehicles for other reasons...i'd love to own a tesla but they are expensive, i'd have to modify my house to be able to charge, i would have to make sure i don't have to drive anywhere once i get to work, there are not many charging stations around, so it's not a feasible option right now...as far as scooters go...also in my opinion once scooter engine sizes get too big cc-wise (i'd say over 400-500cc) why not just buy a motorcycle?...shifting is fun and there are a lot more choices out there...i think the whole point of a scooter is to be a fuel efficient, lightweight, agile, small footprint way to get around somewhat quickly...once you get into a couch on wheels may as well pick up a motorcycle...these are just my opinions though...like i said to each their own
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:59 am quote
Point37 wrote:
i'm not anti bmw...i'm cheap...i'm not brand loyal...i don't even own a vespa...i'll pick whatever does the job reliably with the most performance, lowest weight, most agility for the cheapest price that i can afford which is typically used so i don't have to take the depreciation hit...that's just me...to each their own...
Given that this is the Modern Vespa forum, I'm sure you realize that least cost to get on the road is not what motivates most of us. On the other hand, my family also owns a Buddy. It is cost effective, reliable, and we like it. As you say - to each their own.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:23 am quote
Point37 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Dooglas wrote:

i'm not anti bmw...i'm cheap ...i'm not brand loyal...i don't even own a vespa...i'll pick whatever does the job reliably with the most performance, lowest weight, most agility for the cheapest price that i can afford which is typically used so i don't have to take the depreciation hit...that's just me...to each their own...at the same time i do realize that people buy electric vehicles for other reasons...i'd love to own a tesla but they are expensive, i'd have to modify my house to be able to charge, i would have to make sure i don't have to drive anywhere once i get to work, there are not many charging stations around, so it's not a feasible option right now...as far as scooters go...also in my opinion once scooter engine sizes get too big cc-wise (i'd say over 400-500cc) why not just buy a motorcycle?...shifting is fun and there are a lot more choices out there...i think the whole point of a scooter is to be a fuel efficient, lightweight, agile, small footprint way to get around somewhat quickly...once you get into a couch on wheels may as well pick up a motorcycle...these are just my opinions though...like i said to each their own
CVT transmission would be a big one. The guys at BMW just consider the C650 a step through motorcycle. So I guess it is a motorcycle , what's the difference? Not manly enough? I live in a VERY urban environment and a 650 with a CVT is perfect for it. It's a good "motorcycle". Not everyone is cheap or looks at cost as the deciding factor and I will argue there is a difference in quality and yes , I own a "Vespa" and paid the premium there. I think it's a better scoot but you're right. To each their own and that's why there are different makes and models. I just got my wife a Tissot watch for Christmas while a Fossil or Casio would also tell the time just fine.
Ossessionato
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:48 pm quote
Dead Revel Redemption
Well, I suppose it had to happen: yesterday, I had not one, but three gigs in Gotham (Brooklyn, more specifically), and two get between two of them, grabbing a Revel scooter was the best-and-fastest way…or would have been, if the Revel scoot I grabbed didn't die on me halfway to my destination, where I had to push the scoot across the street (Union Street, between 8th Avenue and Prospect Park West, for the benefit of those who know the lay of that particular bit o' land). Odd thing was, the bike's battery was at 71% capacity. Broke out my phone, launched the Revel app, and reported the problem, along with a photo I snapped of the problem machine where I parked it. The good news here was that Revel not only acknowledged my issue almost instantly, they also credited me $4 on the spot for my troubles. (Note to any other "last-mile" transport provider: this is how you do things.) Better still, I found another Revel bike within a few blocks of where I left the other one, unlocked it, and was on my way to my second of three clients, having lost all of fifteen minutes in the whole process.

Life could be worse, you know. But as far as any rides I actually own, I'm sticking to my GTS for the foreseeable future.

melodyIC03.jpg
Brooklyn, last month: It's (still) cool to have options.

Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1929s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0424s) ][ Debug on ]