Scooter storage suggestions
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Member
TBD
Joined: 04 Nov 2019
Posts: 47
Location: Washington, DC
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:35 am quote
Hi all!
Thanks for all the advice on my newbie questions regarding a 50 vs a 150. I'm definitely going with a 150...so my next question is whether to buy now or in early Spring. If I purchase it now I need to quickly figure out storage for the scooter. I have a driveway where she can be parked but would like something that provides solid cover and a lock (not a fabric cover) for the driveway. Like a lockable shed that's only tall enough to fit her in and NOT be an ugly eye sore. I've looked all over to no avail. Any suggestions?
Thank you!
Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Joined: 04 Jun 2012
Posts: 2533
Location: San Jose, CA
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:45 am quote
You may want to hold off buying until winter starts as dealers might be will to negotiate on price during the slower months.

My brother has one of these in his side yard for his side by side.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DJDAMM?tag=ph-motoshed-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
Enthusiast
Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Joined: 02 Oct 2019
Posts: 69
Location: Florida
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:50 am quote
If you plan on storing as soon as you buy it, it would probably be best to hold off until you actually plan on riding it. I don't see any benefit from buying now and then spending more money on a shed to store it. IMO, that is just wasting money. Also, there might be newer models popping up next year after the winter months. Save your money and hold off.
Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Posts: 206
Location: Houston
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:02 am quote
Don’t buy it now if it’s going straight into storage. Too much to have to worry about. You’d be winterizing from day one, paying insurance, treating the gasoline or running it empty, tending to the battery, and collecting dust all winter. By spring it wouldn’t be as brand new as if you wait until spring.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 1924
Location: E. KY
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 am quote
Until I give into winter and we snowbird after the holidays my GTS sits under a Dowco cover with a LT warranty happy as a lark. IMO, buy one when the deal shows up, especially if the used market is where you'll look. if it's new only and a limited few close at hand dealers or even one, let them tell you why you should buy now. If their reasons are weak, then wait. If you buy new it's gonna depreciate anyway. Much depends on how large your geographic buying world is?
Very few people don't use either a fabric cover or a real building.
Does the boogerman factor in?
I don't worry over dust, fuel, all that stuff above-why should I?
lastly, DC is not the Arctic for Gods sake! Buy it and ride it!
Member
TBD
Joined: 04 Nov 2019
Posts: 47
Location: Washington, DC
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:52 am quote
No, DC isn't the Arctic but it can get pretty cold here. Took a scooter out for a ride last weekend and it was 35 degrees - quickly realized that was too cold for me unless I get heated gloves - my hands froze!

What is a boogerman? If by boogerman you mean sketchy people that may steal it - yes, I am concerned about that type of boogerman in my neighborhood.

There is one dealership within a 50 mile radius of where I live and they are currently running some good specials. I think I'll hedge my bet and wait until March and see if I can pick up a 19 model for a good price. Y'all offer great thoughts about depreciation, paying for insurance, and winterizing a brand new scooter for immediate storage. Totally makes sense that that isn't probably the greatest move for me right now!

In the meantime, I'll keep looking for something to store it in next winter.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 2843
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:02 pm quote
My dealer kept the scooters I bought in the winter until I picked them up in the spring, no charge. You might ask if you could do that. Otherwise, most dealers I know will store any scooter or motorcycle over the winter for a storage charge.

That's the way to go if you can find the scooter you want now. The dealer has time to do the prep and have your scooter all ready to go. Wait until spring, and they get busy.
Addicted
2007 GTS 250ie 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 803 2005 Sportster 883XL 2010 GTS 300ie
Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Posts: 584
Location: St.Louis, Missouri
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:07 pm quote
The other thing to consider, first, the dealer almost always does not own the new bike. The dealer has the motorcycle on loan and the loan ends when they sell it to you. (Industry parlance is “on floor plan.”) The dealer estimates how long it will take to sell the bike and rolls that floor plan cost into the bike’s price.

You could offer to buy the bike now and ask if the Dealer will hold it until it gets warm. I bought my Sportster in February as that's like the worst time to be selling, well January too, for big ticket stuff because consumers are getting their Christmas Bills. Anyway, I simply asked if I could leave it till it got warm, was not an issue. Picked the bike up at the March. It won't hurt to ask.
Ossessionato
2014 Commuter BV350(41,000)/2015 Scoot Life BV350(10,000)/2010 El Diablito SH150i(28,000)
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 2259
Location: Orange Park Florida
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:35 pm quote
I rent a 10 X 10 storage for $70 a month. If you have any storage rental places near you, prep the bike for storage and bring the battery home with you.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7494
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:55 pm quote
You're in DC, find a secure parking garage that will let you park in a out of the way corner for a good price for the winter.
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 1924
Location: E. KY
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:04 pm quote
Per the above dealer storage-there are quite a few who have a storage plan.

If you would consider a "fly & buy" then the number of dealers goes way up and that's commonly done by myself and many others. It opens up price point and color choices too. Makes a nice springtime trip come about along with the choice of dealers. They are for riding after all is said and done.
In my world storage is about moving mine to a building on my property from my driveway handy spot.

Yes, the boogerman is a bad guy type who steals stuff along with all the other crimes you can conjure up. Basically a none concern for me.
Having been in DC a bunch of times I know there's plenty of them there along with that other variety of crooks.
Ossessionato
1964 GS 160 MK II, 1967 Vespa GT, 1968 SS180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1964 Vespa VBB, 2006 Buddy 125, 2013 BMW C650GT
Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 2939
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:46 pm quote
DrScooter wrote:
The other thing to consider, first, the dealer almost always does not own the new bike. The dealer has the motorcycle on loan and the loan ends when they sell it to you. (Industry parlance is “on floor plan.”) The dealer estimates how long it will take to sell the bike and rolls that floor plan cost into the bike’s price.

You could offer to buy the bike now and ask if the Dealer will hold it until it gets warm. I bought my Sportster in February as that's like the worst time to be selling, well January too, for big ticket stuff because consumers are getting their Christmas Bills. Anyway, I simply asked if I could leave it till it got warm, was not an issue. Picked the bike up at the March. It won't hurt to ask.
Usually a vehicle is on floor plan for a year. After that the dealer has to buy it. They're not going to lose money on it but they will want to sell it. That is why it is important for the dealer to get his plan right for his order or have to buy several scooters. They probably won't mind hanging on to it after paid for.

In general most models are pretty much the same as the next model year. It's easy to check to see what changes, if any, were made for the new model. If the new item, color, etc aren't important don't be afraid to buy last year's model such as a 2019 after the 2020s hit the floor. They want to move it but it is still a new bike with full warranty.

As mentioned above buy in Feb if possible and buy on the last day of the month. In 2009 I bought a car on Feb 28 from a dealer and stole it. I've also bought two new vehichles that were last year's model and saved a bunch on those. One had been on the lot for 288 days, got a good deal.
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 1863
Location: North Jersey
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:32 pm quote
TroutBum wrote:
You may want to hold off buying until winter starts as dealers might be will to negotiate on price during the slower months.

My brother has one of these in his side yard for his side by side.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DJDAMM?tag=ph-motoshed-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
I too have a Suncast shed just like that one, but mine is 7 feet wide and only 4 feet deep. Space was a consideration for us. Not using it for scooters but I may in the future.

PK, you did ask for a limited height one, and Lifetime brand has shorter ones but they are a bit pricey at around $600. You need to pay close attention to the scooter height and shed size if it has a windshield. Many lower height sheds are designed to store beach/yard chairs and bicycles and won’t accommodate a windshield.
Member
TBD
Joined: 04 Nov 2019
Posts: 47
Location: Washington, DC
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:01 pm quote
Great thoughts on this. And thank you for the mention about the height as I never even thought about windshield height.

The storage container (whatever it ends up being) will sit almost directly adjacent to the house. So I don’t want anything as tall as a shed or close to my single level house roof. In a perfect world it would be great if it looked good and I could easily tuck my garbage cans behind it. Maybe I’ll look into finding a handyman/carpenter to build me something. Who knows! I’ll keep you posted on what develops.
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 1762
Location: Latina (Italy)
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:07 pm quote
If you have space, can build a small wooden garage or buy it prefabricated, it's a great idea but first you need to know the dimensions of the scooter; there are also armored boxes that open on three sides and take up little space. http://www.likesx.com/garage-box-gazebo-moto-e-scooter/
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 1863
Location: North Jersey
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:17 am quote
I couldn’t get the photo to appear here but if you have the height along the side of your house check out “Arrow Yard Saver lean-to shed” 4 foot wide by 10 foot long.
Molto Verboso
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Mal 177 MKIII in pieces
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 1127
Location: Staten Island, NY
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:34 am quote
In favor of finding a garage to rent in your neighborhood, or a storage unit just big enough at a place like public storage or cube storage. Whichever storage places are in your area. Just make sure you empty gas tank and remove battery. Place may also require you walk it in and out and not drive it. I used to rent a 5x10 storage unit until I found a garage in my neighborhood that was slightly more money but 3x the size.

This way you can ride it on warm days during the winter. Given you are in same basic climate as NYC, I know we will have enough of 50-60 degree days during the winter hat you can get usage out of it here and there. But there is that positive of waiting till the sales lull to try to get a deal.
Member
TBD
Joined: 04 Nov 2019
Posts: 47
Location: Washington, DC
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:15 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
I couldn’t get the photo to appear here but if you have the height along the side of your house check out “Arrow Yard Saver lean-to shed” 4 foot wide by 10 foot long.
I've looked at those and like them, however, I have small side steps flush to the side of my house that go down on a grade to the back yard. So, I can't put anything directly against the side of the house. And, because of these side steps down the grade, I wouldn't be able to get the scooter into the unfinished part of my basement (where I've thought about keeping it in the winter).
Member
TBD
Joined: 04 Nov 2019
Posts: 47
Location: Washington, DC
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:17 am quote
Attila wrote:
If you have space, can build a small wooden garage or buy it prefabricated, it's a great idea but first you need to know the dimensions of the scooter; there are also armored boxes that open on three sides and take up little space. http://www.likesx.com/garage-box-gazebo-moto-e-scooter/
I like that, Attila, but 1300 euros is a bit out of my range! But, something like that.
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 1762
Location: Latina (Italy)
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:28 am quote
PKinDC wrote:
Attila wrote:
If you have space, can build a small wooden garage or buy it prefabricated, it's a great idea but first you need to know the dimensions of the scooter; there are also armored boxes that open on three sides and take up little space. http://www.likesx.com/garage-box-gazebo-moto-e-scooter/
I like that, Attila, but 1300 euros is a bit out of my range! But, something like that.
... it was just to give you an idea, you don't need to buy that ...
Pity i do not live nearby, i was also a designer of small service buildings.
Hooked
BV 350
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 430
Location: Nebraska
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:58 am quote
Likely
If you intend to keep it for any length of time, you'll want to find secure storage out of the weather for it anyway, so I wouldn't consider that in the fall/spring debate. I predict, if it is not stored within one minute walking time of your residence, you will ride it far less. So I'd recommend a shed of some sort on your property, as opposed to nearby storage. A private storage space is OK, but pricy. A parking garage is never secure, and gives someone the opportunity to toss it in a pickup bed and drive away. Other than the limited time factor, no downside to getting a good price now and building a shed, rather than waiting until spring, when your price may be higher, and selection might be less.

Don't know about you, but I never have enough storage. So I'd look at a larger shed that makes it easy to get the scooter in and out, and provides additional storage as well.
Molto Verboso
1980 P200E project, 2005 Stella Mal 177 MKIII in pieces
Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 1127
Location: Staten Island, NY
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:06 am quote
I was suggesting storage unit if you must store it for winter without using it. I agree about parking garages. I was suggesting individual garages for rent. Sounds like OP lives in a residential neighborhood with houses having enough space for yards. Go on Craigslist and search for garages for rent near you. There are tons of them in my neighborhood and I rent one for$200/mo which is well worth it for both storage and work space compared the $160/mo I used to pay for only storage with about 1/3 the size at a storage unit before finding the garage. I bet you might find something.

When I found my garage it was about 4-5 blocks away and yes it was a pain to have to retrieve the scooter to ride and walk home after dropping off, but for peace of mind it's worth it in a city. I moved across the street from garage after a year. Much better!
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Posts: 3893
Location: Santa Cruz California
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:40 am quote
I agree a solid shelter is better than a cover but...I kept my bike under a cover for a decade without issue. I used a good quality one and still use it today. The cover breathes so you doesn't get moisture underneath. I did get some surface rusting but I live in a moist environment (one block from the ocean). I posted about my cover here.Over the years, many people have agreed that the Dowco cover works well. Park bike in a place out of the wind so the cover doesn't act like a sail. Maybe secure it when hurricanes come through tho.

Best
Miguel
Enthusiast
Stella, GTS 300
Joined: 17 Jul 2017
Posts: 96
Location: Portland usa
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:23 am quote
Buy a used scooter and spend the savings on storage.
Lurker
Joined: 10 Nov 2019
Posts: 3
Location: NOVA
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:23 pm quote
PKinDC wrote:
No, DC isn't the Arctic but it can get pretty cold here. Took a scooter out for a ride last weekend and it was 35 degrees - quickly realized that was too cold for me unless I get heated gloves - my hands froze!

What is a boogerman? If by boogerman you mean sketchy people that may steal it - yes, I am concerned about that type of boogerman in my neighborhood.

There is one dealership within a 50 mile radius of where I live and they are currently running some good specials. I think I'll hedge my bet and wait until March and see if I can pick up a 19 model for a good price. Y'all offer great thoughts about depreciation, paying for insurance, and winterizing a brand new scooter for immediate storage. Totally makes sense that that isn't probably the greatest move for me right now!

In the meantime, I'll keep looking for something to store it in next winter.
That dealership is giving discounts now, I am picking up a 300 tomorrow.
Member
TBD
Joined: 04 Nov 2019
Posts: 47
Location: Washington, DC
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:43 am quote
mayassa wrote:
PKinDC wrote:
No, DC isn't the Arctic but it can get pretty cold here. Took a scooter out for a ride last weekend and it was 35 degrees - quickly realized that was too cold for me unless I get heated gloves - my hands froze!

What is a boogerman? If by boogerman you mean sketchy people that may steal it - yes, I am concerned about that type of boogerman in my neighborhood.

There is one dealership within a 50 mile radius of where I live and they are currently running some good specials. I think I'll hedge my bet and wait until March and see if I can pick up a 19 model for a good price. Y'all offer great thoughts about depreciation, paying for insurance, and winterizing a brand new scooter for immediate storage. Totally makes sense that that isn't probably the greatest move for me right now!

In the meantime, I'll keep looking for something to store it in next winter.
That dealership is giving discounts now, I am picking up a 300 tomorrow.
What did you get???
Lurker
Joined: 10 Nov 2019
Posts: 3
Location: NOVA
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 pm quote
I went in and couldn’t make up my mind to get the touring 300 now or wait until spring.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 463
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:20 am quote
mayassa wrote:
I went in and couldn’t make up my mind to get the touring 300 now or wait until spring.
Buy it now and park it in your living room.
You can admire it all Winter and really be keen to ride it in the Spring
Member
TBD
Joined: 04 Nov 2019
Posts: 47
Location: Washington, DC
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:26 am quote
mayassa wrote:
I went in and couldn’t make up my mind to get the touring 300 now or wait until spring.
Didn't they extend the sales promotions through December?
Member
TBD
Joined: 04 Nov 2019
Posts: 47
Location: Washington, DC
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:27 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
mayassa wrote:
I went in and couldn’t make up my mind to get the touring 300 now or wait until spring.
Buy it now and park it in your living room.
You can admire it all Winter and really be keen to ride it in the Spring
I was considering that....but, I have a 7 month old puppy that would probably knock it over on a regular basis!
Hooked
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200
Joined: 25 Sep 2019
Posts: 105
Location: Wichita
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:21 pm quote
In a shed should be good enough for a Vespa
Lurker
Joined: 10 Nov 2019
Posts: 3
Location: NOVA
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:08 pm quote
PKinDC wrote:
mayassa wrote:
I went in and couldn’t make up my mind to get the touring 300 now or wait until spring.
Didn't they extend the sales promotions through December?
I picked the Sei Giorni for myself and a Yacht club 150 for my wife today. I’m signing the paperwork today and pick them up Friday when I get back from travel for work.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1627s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0511s) ][ Debug on ]