Ref to mp3 to mp3 LT conversion
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:59 am quote
Royman69 wrote:
I hope someone can help ..... I've had my left leg amputated so now disabled ... But only got provisional license .... And apparently I also have grandpa rights ?? So is there a conversion kit to make a normal mp3 into a mp3 LT ?? and do you know where to find the kits and price please .... Thank you
My suggestion would be to get ride of the MP3, and get a CanAm Spider or something similar.
There is a youtube video if you search showing a MP3 with a Rear Kit where you have your two wheels on the front, and 3 wheels on the rear. It's sort of like "Trike-ing a Trike?" I can't see spending this kind of money where there are other bikes available.

I hope you find a solution,
Keith
Marietta, GA
MP3 500 Lt Sport ABS
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:38 pm quote
You don't need a foot brake for a trike conversion in the UK ! i converted my mp3 400ie last year and a foot brake wasn't required, the type approval L3 doesn't change but the wheel plan changes from 2-wheel Bicycle to 3-wheel Tricycle.
Hooked
2008 fuoco
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:55 am quote
daze67 wrote:
You don't need a foot brake for a trike conversion in the UK ! i converted my mp3 400ie last year and a foot brake wasn't required, the type approval L3 doesn't change but the wheel plan changes from 2-wheel Bicycle to 3-wheel Tricycle.
This is what i have always thought considering you dont need a dedicated footbrake on a trike when you have converted a 2 wheeler m/c to a trike.
Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:36 pm quote
I used to have an early 250 mp3. As I had a bike and car licence it didn't matter about it being a bike. See my earlier post about licence changes.
The original post is a bit old but I'll add my experience of the 250 if it helps anyone with a disability.
If you can temporarily hold it up with your leg you just press the lock button when you come to a halt.
As you drive off it automatically unlocks at around 10mph so just twist and go.
Probably on the test drive you may not have got your head round the controls??
After a while I got used to it so that when coming to a halt you can press the button under 10 mph and it will lock so no need to put a foot down.
It all depends on your balance/experience.
You can also wheel it around locked as long as the ground is level so helps if you have to turn it in tight spots.
The locking mechanism is basically about 1/3 of a disc brake with an electro mechanical actuator. It's advised to always park for long periods with it on the stand in case there is a malfunction.
As people have said it is top heavy and I found that counter steering helped a lot. Riding on uneven ground is no problem as the wheels just go up and down while the machine stays upright.
This was all a few years ago and I'm thinking of getting another larger cc one.
Shame they are expensive lol

Last edited by gilburton on Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:39 pm quote
daze67 wrote:
Can I ask you what you did eg what size spacers and do you have to take it for an MSVA? or what was the legal procedure?
Only reason I ask is that the bike versions tend to be cheaper than the trike versions.
Enthusiast
MP3 250 LML vespa
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:54 am quote
[quote="gilburton"]
daze67 wrote:
Can I ask you what you did eg what spacers and or what was the legal procedure?
Only reason I ask is that the bike versions tend to be cheaper than the trike versions and once converted it makes it more attractive.
This is only in the UK but as I understand it EXISTING motorcycles on the road only need the V5 logbook changed to tricycle or 3 wheeled vehicle.
To do this the track needs to be widened slightly and it already has a parking brake as required for trikes.
It needs to be weighed and taken for an MOT. Once the inspector is happy that it conforms and passes the MOT as a tricycle you then take some pics and send in a request to change the taxation class from bicycle to tricycle.
DVLA may require a visual inspection and send someone out to check before issuing a new v5.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.1275s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0435s) ][ Debug on ]