Small Vespa big top case - safe?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker
Vespa S50

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:09 am quote
Hi all,

I'm looking for more storage options on my Vespa s50 - I have the original 32L top case. The long-term plan is to switch to a large frame Vespa next year and looking to sport this look with a large Givi Trekker[1].

I'm looking at the 42L Givi Trekker[2]

Can this case be safely paired with my small s50 for the interim? Are there any weight proportion principles that would put me in jeopardy?

[1] https://i.pinimg.com/474x/07/38/95/0738952e9ff63aaf664b28827f184acb--vespa-gts-dog.jpg
[2] https://www.givi.co.uk/givi-products/cases/monokey/trekker-outback-42
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:26 am quote
Top-cases are high and behind the rear axle, thereby affecting the Centre of gravity. This can result in polar instability - especially when they are overloaded.
Most top cases carry a warning to limit the load to only 5-6kgs.

I found that size of top case to be troublesome on my BMW1200GS, affecting the handling when fully loaded. I reduced down to a 25litre instead.

I would not recommend that size of top case, particularly due to the flimsy brackets provided to attach them to a Vespa.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:55 pm quote
Yeah, the problem isnít as much the topcase itself as it is what you plan to *carry* in it that necessitates a larger size. If itís just for storing your jacket, gloves, 3/4 helmet, and other crap while youíre parked - itís probably fine for ďaround town,Ē as youíll be wearing all that stuff and the center of gravity wonít be as fíed.

If, on the other hand, you plan to fully load said topcase *while* riding your S50 (i.e., to the local Costco, WalMart, etc)...donít.
Molto Verboso
lx 50
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:17 pm quote
On an S50 I think it will be fine. Much less weight than a passenger unless you work in lead or gold.

Think of all the delivery scooters you see with those gigantic back boxís, well you get them in the UK.

Realistically youíll be doing 30mph tops, the scooters weight, your weight should negate anything the top box does.

Maybe with the scooter on the centre stand load your current one up with itís normal load, followed by its wanted load (lid up) get on and see how it rocks differently. Thatís about your only test before buying.
Lurker
Vespa S50

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:32 am quote
Thank you all for the useful replies.

Since I'm not planning to add any significant weight (I'm mostly carrying a change of clothes, gym stuff, etc) and only looking for more space and easier access I would consider this a viable combo then.
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:44 am quote
Generally the maximum weight allowed on the back of the scooter is mentioned in the use and maintenance manual
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:16 am quote
I went with a SHAD 39 liter and IMO thats as big as I'd go on my GTS. The front ends are lightly loaded on these scooters, even those larger than yours. Not worth accident! Also worth considering are the several high quality fabric bags made for use on PTW's. Mine goes on longer tours on the pillion seat where the weight carries best. The mentioned uses lead me to a water resistant fabric bag sitting on the seat, not a top case. In a theft of opportunity spot simply throw on your shoulder.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:48 am quote
I think a fabric bag is the safest bet. I don't know much about the 50CC scoots but you might be able to fit
saddle bags? Here is my GTV with one. They work great for soft stuff like clothes.

EEC6AB7D-DFE2-4BF7-8A1E-13B7ACBC5316.jpeg

Ossessionato
2011 GTS 300 Super 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:21 pm quote
Masala wrote:
Yeah, the problem isnít as much the topcase itself as it is what you plan to *carry* in it that necessitates a larger size. If itís just for storing your jacket, gloves, 3/4 helmet, and other crap while youíre parked - itís probably fine for ďaround town,Ē as youíll be wearing all that stuff and the center of gravity wonít be as fíed.

If, on the other hand, you plan to fully load said topcase *while* riding your S50 (i.e., to the local Costco, WalMart, etc)...donít.
Bingo!

When I put too much weight in the top case it will unsettle the chassis over bumps and I can feel a difference.
Hooked
BV 350 ABS/ASR
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:31 pm quote
Advice stolen from a RTW traveler.

"Buy the best smallest panniers you can buy and fill them with what you actually need. If you buy the biggest panniers you can buy, you'll stuff them with everything you think you need."

I have the smaller of the two top cases for my BV. My helmet fits and a few other essentials when stopped.

Oh... what about two-up? Seriously? When riding two-up we usually have to carry our gear to lunch, dinner or cable it all to the Scooter as the top case is now SWMBO territory.

OP- A small/medium top case and throw-over saddle bags of a duffelbag will suit your traveling needs. Same with errands.

Heck, Small top case, front rack and bag hook your golden.

https://manonthelam.com/how-much-stuff-can-fit-on-scooters/
Hooked
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:47 pm quote
You should make it a habit to check the screws on your luggage rack twice a year
Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:48 am quote
Max6201 wrote:
You should make it a habit to check the screws on your luggage rack twice a year
I'll go you one up- any(well, most of them, not the ones in plastic ,etc.) PTW fastener not using a locknut or washer should get a dose of blue locktite.
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:45 am quote
I'm currently using some Corazzo panniers on my LX150. They can handle a decent size grocery run in a pinch and are quick on/off since they just drape over the PET carrier and then you close the seat over the straps to secure them in place. Only $60 right now as the Corazzo store is clearing out. I wouldn't trust them in bad weather or with too much heavy use though, but the price is right.

I'm really intrigued by this pair of SW Motech Legend saddle bags. Dual 13.5L bags that seem much more durable and have an internal dry back. They secure to a MOLLE strap system that looks like it can just live on your rear seat. You wouldn't necessarily want to leave the bags on your bike while it's parked on the street but they're a quick on/off.

Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:59 pm quote
northernerbill wrote:
On an S50 I think it will be fine. Much less weight than a passenger unless you work in lead or gold.

Think of all the delivery scooters you see with those gigantic back boxís, well you get them in the UK.

Realistically youíll be doing 30mph tops, the scooters weight, your weight should negate anything the top box does.

Maybe with the scooter on the centre stand load your current one up with itís normal load, followed by its wanted load (lid up) get on and see how it rocks differently. Thatís about your only test before buying.
Absolutely right. I've ridden one of these, and it was fine. Not sure how it would handle at speeds it's not capable of, but that doesn't matter.

tgb delivery.jpg

2006 Fly 150
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:24 pm quote
Here is my Fly 150 with big top box...no problem at all and I can fit a full face helmet in it.

FLY 150.jpg

Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.3342s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0455s) ][ Debug on ]