ISO taller windshield/windscreen for 2019 Piaggio MP3 500
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Mp3 500
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:06 pm quote
Hello there . Anyone been able to find a taller version of a windscreen/windshield for a 2018 or 2019 MP3 500 (the model that changed from three windshield attachment points to four attachment points (screws).

Need help. Cannot find one on my own.
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:59 pm quote
I bought this one:

https://www.motea.com/en/windshield-puig-v-tech-line-piaggio-mp3-sport-350-2018-clear-133922-0?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhuvlBRCeARIsAM720HrokqlHoI0vv01sONGvVCcbfDP5lwZ_r6-ww-OCPKFdTlw0QHOQNHAaAiaPEALw_wcB

It fits perfectly and is a vast improvement over the stock windscreen.

They shipped it to me in Los Angeles with no problems.

It says it's for the MP3 350, but the 500 is the same.

Here is the info from the manufacturer:

https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windshields-for-maxiscooters/windshield-v-tech-line-touring?bike=23964

I hope this helps. The stock windscreen is terrible.
Enthusiast
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:53 pm quote
You use use the original tall Piaggio windscreen from the 2014-2017 models as it is supplied with the base and all needed parts to mount it.

00151B006104_hi.jpg

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:33 pm quote
different mounting holes
Enthusiast
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:52 pm quote
As I said, the windscreen comes complete as a KIT including the windshield base with 3 holes to mount the screen

It is Piaggio p/n#2S000117.

Here are the instructions showing everything that is included in the kit including the base mount.

In a nutshell, this kit will alow those that have the new style fixed shield to upgrade to the (better) older style adjustable type.

2S000117.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  2S000117.pdf
 Filesize:  1.26 MB

Mp3 500
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:40 am quote
Thanks sbaert. I always assumed that in the pictures of other windshields showing three attachment screws that they would not fit my 2019 mp3 500. i appreciate the help.
Ossessionato
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:18 am quote
sbaert wrote:
As I said, the windscreen comes complete as a KIT including the windshield base with 3 holes to mount the screen

It is Piaggio p/n#2S000117.

Here are the instructions showing everything that is included in the kit including the base mount.

In a nutshell, this kit will alow those that have the new style fixed shield to upgrade to the (better) older style adjustable type.
Why go through all that, including the added expense, when you can just get the Puig and bolt it on in ten minutes? The only advantage I can see is that the Piaggio screen is adjustable. (The 2016+ adjustable stock screen was just about perfect. I don't get why Piaggio had to change it. Cost?)

BTW, are you sure the Accessory Windshield Support will fit on the 2019?

Either of these is preferable to the newer 4-bolt stock screen, though. Of course, this will vary depending on the rider's height, but on me, the stock screen directed the air flow at my neck right up under my helmet. Not something I was looking forward to as the weather got colder.
Enthusiast
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:11 am quote
mpfrank wrote:

Either of these is preferable to the newer 4-bolt stock screen, though. Of course, this will vary depending on the rider's height, but on me, the stock screen directed the air flow at my neck right up under my helmet. Not something I was looking forward to as the weather got colder.
Yes, it fits the new ones. All the mounting locations are the same since the front end of the MP3 did not change.

I tried 2 Givi windshields (a one piece, the other a 2 piece adjustable type), and one other (I think Faco or Ermax).

Hated them. Why? At higher speeds, the shield started buffeting. On the other hand, the Piaggio has the 2 supporting rods that results in a perfectly still windshield and thus does not affect your vision.

The Piaggio windshield is worth the slightly higher cost.

I've just finished installing the Piaggio LED indicator lights on mine, and it was a plug and play operation other than splicing the connectors at each corner.

The only thing left to do is install the new Euro spec headlights with integrated day time running lights.

For whatever reason, the US spec 2020 MP3s still get the separate dinky little DRL which is next to useless although they charge plenty just to replace that little guy.

I know, I know. The real reason is because the US DOT regulations are stuck somewhere between man's discovery of fire and the advent of electricity.

DSC00443.jpeg

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:22 am quote
look at the pics of both screens the new 2018/19 model has four screws the

2015 /17 3 screws
Enthusiast
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:24 am quote
And here is a pic of a (2019?) Euro4 HPE (Euro spec Business model like mine) with the tall windscreen, proving that the older screen does fit the HPE models.

Piaggio MP3 350 and 500 launch report10.jpg

Ossessionato
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:35 am quote
sbaert wrote:
mpfrank wrote:

Yes, it fits the new ones. All the mounting locations are the same since the front end of the MP3 did not change.

I tried 2 Givi windshields (a one piece, the other a 2 piece adjustable type), and one other (I think Faco or Ermax).

Hated them. Why? At higher speeds, the shield started buffeting. On the other hand, the Piaggio has the 2 supporting rods that results in a perfectly still windshield and thus does not affect your vision.

The Piaggio windshield is worth the slightly higher cost.

I've just finished installing the Piaggio LED indicator lights on mine, and it was a plug and play operation other than splicing the connectors at each corner.

The only thing left to do is install the new Euro spec headlights with integrated day time running lights.

For whatever reason, the US spec 2020 MP3s still get the separate dinky little DRL which is next to useless although they charge plenty just to replace that little guy.

I know, I know. The real reason is because the US DOT regulations are stuck somewhere between man's discovery of fire and the advent of electricity.
I had the GIVI adjustable screen on my 400. Yes, it did flex at speed, which bothered me, too. It didn't affect its functionality, though.

The Puig does not flex at all, even up to 90 miles per hour (ahem, so I've heard ).

Unfortunately, the Puig is out of stock at Motea. The price (112 euros) is much less than the Piaggio, even including the $45 or so for shipping by UPS. The Piaggio is $343.61 at AF1 Racing "available in 6 - 8 weeks". Shipping $19.95.
Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:40 am quote
I have a GIVI AF504, if your interested? PM me if so.
Enthusiast
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:03 pm quote
I just checked the link on the Puig screen.

The Piaggio windshield is vastly bigger at 900mm high X 750mm wide vs. the Puig's 825mm high X 625mm wide.

In American, the Piaggio is a full 3 inches higher and 5 inches wider. That's quite a difference.

I'm just over 6ft3in, and I can just see above the screen and feel zero wind buffeting.. When it rains, the water just sheets off and flies off just above my head keeping me perfectly dry.

Also, my hands don't feel any cold drafts either not even in the midst of winter. Granted, I do have heated grips and muffs.
Ossessionato
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:40 pm quote
sbaert wrote:
I just checked the link on the Puig screen.

The Piaggio windshield is vastly bigger at 900mm high X 750mm wide vs. the Puig's 825mm high X 625mm wide.

In American, the Piaggio is a full 3 inches higher and 5 inches wider. That's quite a difference.

I'm just over 6ft3in, and I can just see above the screen and feel zero wind buffeting.. When it rains, the water just sheets off and flies off just above my head keeping me perfectly dry.

Also, my hands don't feel any cold drafts either not even in the midst of winter. Granted, I do have heated grips and muffs.
So there we have it. Not everything suits everyone.

I'm 5'11" tall. With a gel seat cushion, I can see just over the Puig screen. Wind and rain flow over the top of my helmet. The larger screen wouldn't fit me.

I hope we have given the OP some good information with which to make an informed choice.
Mp3 500
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:08 am quote
I am leaning toward the original Piaggio tall windscreen, even though it is more pricey than the Puig, (also the Puig site still shows that their windscreen is 'unavailable' at the moment).

I am 5ft 10in. tall. sbaert you say you are 6ft 3in tall. Will that make the original Piaggio windscreen too tall for me? I have always thought that a person should have a tall windshield and look through it, but the more I read about windscreens, most people say that you typically look over the top of the screen, and not through it. Any thoughts?
Enthusiast
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:46 am quote
Everybody is built differently, as was stated already. I think it is a matter of personal preference, although motorcyclists like the wind in the face feeling albeit those folk tend to be seasonal riders.

Me, not so much, especially in the midst of winter when riding the motorway.

My suggestion would be to try to find somebody or a shop that as a MP3 with the tall screen already installed and see what you think.

In my opinion it is always better to have a shield that is too tall vs. too short, since you can always have the taller shield trimmed down (or have 3 mounting holes drilled) to match your preference.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1608s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0391s) ][ Debug on ]