Potential Tip/Fall Sensor Issue
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Piaggio MP3 Yourban
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:04 am quote
Iíve just swapped out the damaged left foot panel and bent floorboard bar on my Yourban. While doing so, I discovered that the fall/tip sensor wasnít in great shape- the bracket supporting it is totally mangled and the plastic attaching the sensor to the bracket is totally broken.

I cable tied the sensor up as best as I could with the intention of buying a new bracket and sensor and fitting it next week upon the parts being delivered.

The bike had been working okay previous to fitting the panel however, when I went to start it after attaching all of the plastics, it wouldnít start.

Iím guessing that this is due to the fall/tip sensor being out of kilter.

Is it actually as sensitive as this or may there be another issue? Is there any way that I can test that it is actually a fall/tip sensor issue (the kill switch light on the dash is not on...).

Is it possible that Iíve missed something out and it might not be that?

Iíve got the battery on charge in case it is that (I had the seat off quite a while and the light was obviously on...) that wonít allow the bike to even crank.

Any advice/reassurance would be most helpful.

07157FFB-A966-4517-8956-C5EA9EDA9B88.png

Piaggio MP3 Yourban
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:05 am quote
[img][/img]

761266F6-C78F-4960-9962-D6552979C8A1.jpeg

Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:11 am quote
Put a jumper/short circuit across the tilt switch. If the starting problem continues then it's not caused by the tilt switch.
Ossessionato
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:28 am quote
Also, given the damage to the mounting hardware it's possible the connector or wiring to the tilt switch is broken though the switch itself is ok.
Piaggio MP3 Yourban
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:36 am quote
Would it be possible to just detach it and use the bike until the new parts arrive and then fit them?

Thereís no way I can salvage the sensor in the long term- the bracket is mangled and the plastic is split. Will be a lot easier and safer to just replace them...but I could do with using the bike over the next week.
Ossessionato
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:41 am quote
Yes, if the bike starts and runs with the tilt switched jumpered out of the circuit, then you should be able to ride it. Just remember that the tilt switch is out; if you tip over the engine will continue to run. Have the presence of mind to use the kill switch in the event of a fall!
Piaggio MP3 Yourban
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:51 am quote
Thank you JK. I will detach it tomorrow and see what happens.

The bike was running fine until i dislodged everything so Iím sure that the issue relates to my Ďless than perfectí fixing of the sensor.

Iíve ordered the new parts already- if itís the sensor causing the issue or not they will still need replacing for safety reasons.
Ossessionato
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:04 am quote
MShields wrote:
I will detach it tomorrow and see what happens.
To be clear -- you don't simply remove or unplug the tilt switch. You have to close the circuit where the tilt switch is. Depending on what kind of connector is used on the switch, a paper clip inserted between the connector terminals may work. Sometimes a paper clip or wire can be inserted from the back side of the connector and it will touch the terminals. If the connector is badly mangled you may need to strip off a bit of insulation from both wires and make an electrical connection between them (alligator clips, or twist on a wire, solder a wire, etc.) If you're going to ride the scooter the connection will need to be more secure than if you're just testing.

Good luck!
Enthusiast
Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:27 am quote
If you left the seat up the entire time and the light was on, chances are you may have just drained the battery. Does it try to start or it doesn't turn over at all? Do you hear a fast clicking noise like the starter trying to engage?
Piaggio MP3 Yourban
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:28 am quote
Scarabeio,
When I turn the ignition on, I can hear the fuel pump priming and then when I have attempted to start the bike (on a few occasions), I have heard both a clicking sound (the starter motor, presumably..) and nothing at all. It doesnít crank...

I should add that itís entirely feasible that the bikeís battery may be problematic. Itís coming up to two years old and hasnít been maintained well and recently, given that the bike wasnít in my possession for nearly three months, it could have been severely neglected. Itís also relatively cold here at the moment....

Iíve got the battery indoors now and itís on the maintainer. I will see if that manages to diagnose a fault with it...

Thank you for your time/input everybody. I really appreciate it.
Enthusiast
Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:57 am quote
MShields wrote:
Scarabeio,
When I turn the ignition on, I can hear the fuel pump priming and then when I have attempted to start the bike (on a few occasions), I have heard both a clicking sound (the starter motor, presumably..) and nothing at all. It doesnít crank...

I should add that itís entirely feasible that the bikeís battery may be problematic. Itís coming up to two years old and hasnít been maintained well and recently, given that the bike wasnít in my possession for nearly three months, it could have been severely neglected. Itís also relatively cold here at the moment....

Iíve got the battery indoors now and itís on the maintainer. I will see if that manages to diagnose a fault with it...

Thank you for your time/input everybody. I really appreciate it.
Definitely leaning on the battery being the culprit after what you just stated.
Piaggio MP3 Yourban
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:20 pm quote
Iíve just ordered a replacement battery- I had planned to change it soon but having charged it and with the voltage looking okay, I thought I could hold off a bit...

Maybe one of the cells is kaput or something...

Iíll update once Iíve fitted the sensor and battery.

Thank you
Enthusiast
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 am quote
For maximum longevity of the new battery follow these steps

1) After adding the acid pack, put the sealing strip loosely over the battery.

2) Let the battery sit for 60-90 minutes

3) Push the sealing strip firmly in place

4) Attach the battery pack to a smart charger (such as Optimate) or a AGM compatible charger that puts out 1Amp max.

5) Let it charge overnight (minimum 8-12 hours) or until the charger goes into trickle mode.

6) Install battery

7) IF the scoot is not going to be used for 2 weeks or more, attach the charger. Using a smart charger like a Optimate is recommended because you can leave it attached long term (such as over the winter months) without any consequences.
Piaggio MP3 Yourban
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:22 am quote
New roll sensor and battery fitted. Bike started first time with the new battery attached and the old roll sensor in place....

Thank you for the advice and guidance everybody.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1759s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0321s) ][ Debug on ]